Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Airhobbies 3.0 Twin, ignition question

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Airhobbies 3.0 Twin, ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 05:25 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airhobbies 3.0 Twin, ignition question

I just bought an airplane with a new, never run Airhobbies 3.0 twin mounted on the front. I pulled off the cowl today and the two big coils which are part of the ignition were something I had not seen before. I did a search on the engine and more than one comment was made about the stock ignition and how it was not shielded which made it cause radio interference on a PCM receiver. Is the rcexcell ignition an upgrade that will make this a better performing engine or should I just put my old brison 3.2 on the front of the plane and forget it? I just don't know enough about this airhobbies engine to feel comfortable with it. Thanks
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a 50-50 chance of the engine being a good engine and the ignitions do give a problems.

I would try and run the engine with the ignition it has now, If it turns out to run good with no problems then I would get another ignition for it.

Milton
Old 08-14-2016, 05:11 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Milton. I was able to run the engine today and I have to say I was surprised. I had the recommended PK 20 x 10 prop and this engine does have the ignition with the two individual red coils. I used a 4.8 ma ignition battery and gas mixed with redline 40:1. I choked it really well and on the third flip it fired up. After 5 minutes of run time,I was able to get 6000 rpm at full throttle and was able to hold a steady and reliable 1850 at idle.Killed the engine several times, and one or two flips and it cranked everytime. The only thing that cocerns me is a lot of black residue coming from the exhaust, but I will monitor this and hope it gets better with break in. I'm not going to fly the plane with the stock ignition but I do hope I can use the rcxel twin ignition and keep the stock pickup sensor. I will be calling to get my new ignition on the way tomorrow. Thanks
Old 08-15-2016, 06:45 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

flyerdave , The airhobbies engines that I had experience with were in my opinion tight , under powered and unreliable untill very well broken in , especially the 3.0 twin. If you can hang with it untill it breaks in it is a good engine but not a great engine . The Brison 3.2 is much better IMHO. If you decide to use it , at the very least I would upgrade the 3.0 with one of Miltons ignitions .
Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Air Hobbies engines in my opinion and experience are a waste of time and effort. If you like the airframe and want to keep it flying and undamaged get rid of the sinker and put the Brison in it.

Dennis