Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G45 plane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:22 AM
oldsneakers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G45 plane?

A friend gave me an old Zenoah G45 with the magneto ignition. It came off an old Lanier Stinger. The engine runs great but reading up on it, it's heavy and under powered compared to newer engines. I'm looking for a plane to put it in. I'd like to spend less than $300 for the airframe. A low wing, fixed landing gear is preferred. Something that would have decent speed if possible. I just sport fly, no 3D. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When I searched the Internet for planes, anything that called for a Zenoah G45 had been long discontinued.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:50 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a lot of people who use that engine in the Top Flite Mustang, either the ARF or the kit.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The GP Giant Sportster carries G38's and Q41's routinely. I don't see why it wouldn't handle a G45 with a little care towards balance and reinforcement.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:13 AM
prigai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be a bit heavy in today's standards but will outlast most of the popular engines by a long margin.
To get similar reliability and longevity you will have to buy a top brand (3W, DA, etc...) for 3 times the price of a G45.
As mentioned, it is a perfect fit for scale models and warbirds needing the weight up front, if weight is important electronic ignition will save some.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM
oldsneakers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will check those planes out.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The G-45 is one of my favorite engines as it runs so well and smooth for it's size. Yes they will last forever but that just leaves you with a problem what to do with it when it becomes outdated. Fact: the G-45 is almost the same size and weight at a G-62 that has a lot more power and both are heavy by modern standards. Weight was OK when airplanes were overbuilt with heavy tails as the nose weight was needed anyway. But other than WW1 and other warbirds, few planes today need the extra nose weight. So I guess that leaves one looking for a warbird or an older design aerobatic plane when he has an old Zenoah sitting around looking for a home.