Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Which is the pick of this bunch of Gassers?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Which is the pick of this bunch of Gassers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:29 PM
dove57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the pick of this bunch of Gassers?

Hi all,
Looking at a gas engine for a 80" Big Stik for sport flying , which ones the best buy for quality, durabilty, power & ease of handling ? - thanks beforehand Ron

CRRC PRO 26cc
MLD 28 cc (3 bearing)
RCGF 26 cc
DLA 32 cc

Last edited by dove57; 10-27-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Are these used engines? If so how old is the RCGF. Not exactly a prime list to pick from.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:45 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Regardless of age, that would be a short list for me. Though we could be talking about 2 completely different generations of engines with the RCGF, I've had both and enjoyed them, you can still get parts pretty easily for them going through dealers with great reputations, and they make pretty decent power when compared to others in the same class. As I have no first hand experience with the others, it would be the RCGF engine for me.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:05 PM
dove57

These are 'NEW' engines I'm looking at
Old 10-27-2017, 06:06 PM
dove57

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Are these used engines? If so how old is the RCGF. Not exactly a prime list to pick from.
Ok trucker so which brands would be in a "prime" list ?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the side carb CRRC for over 8 years and although heavy compared to today's engines like DLE and DA , it has been very reliable.
I still have it on an old Ultra Stick and it flies it well but, again, compared to a DLE or DA it is under powered. Perhaps the CRRC rear-carb version makes better power but having flown DA and DLE engines for the last several years I would recommend the DLE 30 or 35ra be added to your list.
For the price they are very good engines that make a ton of power.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 10-28-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:48 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Dle 30/35

eme 35
Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 AM
dove57

The engines I listed are entry level price wise compared to DA's 3 Ws etc, but the DLE 30 I might look at.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:21 AM
dove57

This is the model I'm keen on from Laser kits Australia , hence the Gas engine recomendation
Old 10-28-2017, 03:53 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
+1....wouldn't buy any of them. The question is, do you want to fly at the field? Or work on engines?
Old 10-28-2017, 03:57 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The build video looked good til I saw Nyrods used for primary controls. You might consider a more robust pushrod system.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 AM
ahicks

You know there is VERY little warranty support for an engine bought from a Chinese dealer, right? And that they may still have older generation engines available new? Dealing with them can be very difficult. If you're going to try anyway, make sure you use a credit card.

If DLE were added to your list, I would likely go that route. Or even the EMS.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:11 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't use less than a 30 or 35cc on a Giant Stik. I have a 50cc twin on mine, and a friend at the field has a DLE 50 on his. As far as brands, of course DA is king but pricey. DLE seems to have really pretty much proven themselves, and it appears that RCGF has solved earlier issues and is doing well. The fact that Valley View RC took them onboard says a lot. I'll pass on the other brands on your list....

When in doubt, ALWAYS go for more power. You won't ever be unhappy with too much power, (that's what the throttle stick is for), but you certainly WILL be unhappy with not enough power. It's easier on the engine if you are a bit overpowered as well; it doesn't have to work as hard.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-28-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:28 AM
av8tor1977

If you do build that, consider flipping the fuselage over and building it as a low wing. I have done this before, and not only is it very easy to do, it RADICALLY changes the looks for the better and I never noticed any real difference in flying qualities. (I want to say they actually fly better, but that just might only be my biased opinion.)

I've got Extras, Katanas, and other great aerobatic planes, but I still have a great fondness for my Giant Stik as well. Now I REALLY want one of the new SUPER Giant Stiks, but it's too pricey for my current budget.

AV8TOR
Old 10-28-2017, 02:24 PM
dove57

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
+1....wouldn't buy any of them. The question is, do you want to fly at the field? Or work on engines?
Appreciate your input but your the second guy that wouldn't use any of these yet don't mention the makes you do prefer ?
Reading up on the DLA their new crankcase is made from machined billet 7075 where as I gather a lot of the others still use castings
Old 10-28-2017, 02:26 PM
dove57

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
If you do build that, consider flipping the fuselage over and building it as a low wing. I have done this before, and not only is it very easy to do, it RADICALLY changes the looks for the better and I never noticed any real difference in flying qualities. (I want to say they actually fly better, but that just might only be my biased opinion.)

I've got Extras, Katanas, and other great aerobatic planes, but I still have a great fondness for my Giant Stik as well. Now I REALLY want one of the new SUPER Giant Stiks, but it's too pricey for my current budget.

AV8TOR
The 'low wing' change is virtually identical to the old MIDWEST GIANT SWEET N' LOW STIK
Old 10-28-2017, 02:39 PM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by dove57
Appreciate your input but your the second guy that wouldn't use any of these yet don't mention the makes you do prefer ?
Reading up on the DLA their new crankcase is made from machined billet 7075 where as I gather a lot of the others still use castings
I think the reason that we don't recommend other brands of engines; is that we have previously been "chewed out, scorned, scolded, and those are the nice words" by the OP for not just talking about the engines that they were seeking info on. And, to not start a brand war. IMHO and experience; DA, Zenoah 26 electric ignition, and Saito gas 4 strokes, but I feel the operator needs previous 4 stroke experience. So, not for someone just getting into gas.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM
dove57

I think the reason that we don't recommend other brands of engines; is that we have previously been "chewed out, scorned, scolded, and those are the nice words" by the OP for not just talking about the engines that they were seeking info on. And, to not start a brand war. IMHO and experience; DA, Zenoah 26 electric ignition, and Saito gas 4 strokes, but I feel the operator needs previous 4 stroke experience. So, not for someone just getting into gas.
Good reply Dan understand about the "chewed out" part too, one thing I question is if I had of put this Question up 10 yrs ago the reply's would of been Zenoah's Quadra's , DA's , Brisons etc,
yet today not many refer to these have they been put away to the back shed infavour of the cheaper imports ?
Personally I'd go for even a used Zenoah Brison or Quadra over the chinese imports but for the prices they sell for new its hard not to have a look at them.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:04 PM
RCFlyerDan

Thanks Dove57! I like an engine that I can reliably send in for repairs, should it need some from........sudden stoppage from earth. Most or all of those engines have poor manufacturing and poor metals. I used to teach a lot of gas guys. I would take my DA to the field, and it would start and I would fly every time. My students with DA's flew, but one of them was just too funny because he would sneak behind my back and buy these things. A couple of them made a few laps around the field. Most days they didn't start, and I just got burned out working on some of those mentioned engines. I also won't buy a "One Man Engine Shop". Was burned with that on BME back when the owner became ill. Bought a DA and never ever looked at anything else for my personal use. And, the other thing that isn't publicized by DA, is if you wreck it, needs work, etc, they only charge for parts and not labor. Yes, you pay it up front, but they are there, and they run every time. If a DA doesn't start, chances are the owner/pilot messed something up like batteries, solder leads coming undone, switches, pinched fuel line, or other things that happen that are owner induced.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:45 PM
dove57

Thanks Dove57! I like an engine that I can reliably send in for repairs, should it need some from........sudden stoppage from earth. Most or all of those engines have poor manufacturing and poor metals. I used to teach a lot of gas guys. I would take my DA to the field, and it would start and I would fly every time. My students with DA's flew, but one of them was just too funny because he would sneak behind my back and buy these things. A couple of them made a few laps around the field. Most days they didn't start, and I just got burned out working on some of those mentioned engines. I also won't buy a "One Man Engine Shop". Was burned with that on BME back when the owner became ill. Bought a DA and never ever looked at anything else for my personal use. And, the other thing that isn't publicized by DA, is if you wreck it, needs work, etc, they only charge for parts and not labor. Yes, you pay it up front, but they are there, and they run every time. If a DA doesn't start, chances are the owner/pilot messed something up like batteries, solder leads coming undone, switches, pinched fuel line, or other things that happen that are owner induced.
I've heard of BME & another one there who builds strong motors including twins can't recall the name at the moment, refresh my memory recall reading a long time back that the DA engines were a copy of the 3W engines is this true ? Few more brands that dont seem get get a mention amongst the DA's & DLE's conversations are the OS GT's & EVO's how come?
Old 10-28-2017, 04:07 PM
av8tor1977

DA, Zenoah, OS, any of the major brands will perform great and literally outlast YOU if treated right, and if you do mangle them in some manner, you can get parts for them. And you probably will be able to do so forever more or less. But you DO pay for that. (ESPECIALLY in the case of OS, IMHO)

The others have had problems, and support is "sketchy" at best, and non-existent in the worst cases. Nothing worse than laying out the bucks for an engine, trying to take care of it, then later having a problem and finding out you can't get parts and you now own an expensive paper weight. (Plus the aggravation of the problems a poorly made engine can give you.)

A somewhat "middle of the road", and I have to admit, serviceable option, would be the DLE and RCGF engines. They are not as good as the high dollar offerings, but seem to have made it through some early teething problems and are now providing good service and support.

If money is a serious problem, send me a PM and we can talk about one of my several "Conversion Engines". They are all Japanese, all rebuilt to better than new, and personally I would take a Japanese engine over the best Chinese engine any day!!

Now I've done it.... We will now probably hear from all the people running the engines I just "bad mouthed"!

Your last post hit while I was writing mine. BME engines were based on Japanese "Echo" engines and were quite good. Before Keith at BME went out of business, I bought some of his crankcases to make twins out of Echo engines. Very cool engines. I saved three for myself, and the others are all gone. The crankcases are no longer available.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-28-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:14 PM
ahicks

Couldn't agree more....
"A somewhat "middle of the road", and I have to admit, serviceable option, would be the DLE and RCGF engines. They are not as good as the high dollar offerings, but seem to have made it through some early teething problems and are now providing good sevice and support."

That gives them "best bang for the buck status".
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 AM
RCFlyerDan

I didn't know Keith. I got the 1/3 Extra with a BME 102 on it. They were high end IMAC engines at that time. Due to operator error and not having the baffling correct when I did a new cowl, I over heated the engine and burned it up. That was when I found out that Keith had become ill and his business and customers were suffering. This was a good 10 years ago. I ended up selling my junked engine as a parts engine to another guy that had a couple of the same engines for parts. I had already been flying DA 50's on different planes and that is when I bought my first 100, and haven't changed. I did sell my last prop plane this past month with a DA170 on it. Concentrating on jets now.

I have been exposed to the OS GT and the EVO gas and glow, but never owned one. Not sure why they didn't take off, but think pricing had something to do with it too. I also remember them being temperamental on starting. Kind of like ZDZ on their start procedures. I have no idea of the history of DA, but don't think they were a copy of 3W.

There is a BME that just came on the market this morning on the Bay Av8tor if you are interested.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 AM
av8tor1977

Thanks but no. I've got plenty of engines right now, plus I build my own. Mostly from Stihl and Echo engines, but from some other good brands as well. My 28% Extra for example, has a Stihl 62cc that I converted from a chainsaw. It is light, powerful, and just runs super!

AV8TOR