Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 85 Fuel Inlet

Old 11-26-2017, 09:09 PM
djmp69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 85 Fuel Inlet

Got a DLE 85, and noticed that the fuel inlet on the carb is pointed down? Never seen that before, the inlet is usually pointed toward the rear for the straightest fuel flow. Is this normal? I don't see anything that says this can be turned or repositioned. Should I even worry about it?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:44 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a new fuel inlet and install it in the direct you want.

Pull the old one out and push the new one in.

You can not turn them as they will break or collapse.

They are available from hobby sources or lawn/garden or chainsaw sources.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Is your fuel inlet black plastic molded over a brass insert or is it all metal? The 85 and larger DLE engines usually have the all metal fittings. As W8ye said, the plastic ones will probably break if you try to reposition them but the metal ones will easily turn. When turning these I usually remove the whole fitting and clean up the OD of the fitting where it inserts into the carb. Then clean up any sealer residue from the carb body being careful not to get any crud in the fuel passage. I then insert the fitting with a twist using a "tiny" bit of JB Weld only on the OD of the fitting. Twist and tap into position as desired. If you have the plastic fitting and it breaks off leaving only the brass stub in the carb ..... and you can't get it out easily, just run a 4-40 tap down the center of the brass. When it bottoms out in the carb body continue to turn the tap and it will act as an extractor for the stub. Thanks to Ralph Cunningham for that tip many years ago.

You can buy the all metal fittings either under a Zenoah p/n or from B&B Specialties.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:44 AM
djmp69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info, Thanks! I really don' want to do this yet but will keep it in mind until I hear back from "DLE". Shouldn't have to go thru this on a brand new engine and void my warranty. Really good tips though, will remember them for future.

Again, I'm not so worried about fuel delivery, its just that the curve that the fuel line follows puts it about 1.5 inches away from the can on a Pitts style muffler. Don'
Want to chance the heat melting the line. Any trouble you see with using the black stuff we use for smoke? Seeing how it's heat resistant and all?

thanx again guys!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:42 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

If the black line is Viton, it is good to use and is extremely heat resistant. I wouldn't use any other kind of black line.

Regarding the fuel fitting, I seriously doubt that turning the fitting would affect your warranty.