Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55 Carb

Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 PM
djmp69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 55 Carb

I have an older DLE 55, and the platstic fuel inlet broke off. No problem a new carb is only $35 and worth not having to worry about a repair success. I got the new carb, but it's different. The old carb had a line coming from a nipple on the bottom that ran to the reed block for the pump. The new walbro carb I just got has no nipple for that. I'm wondering can I use the new carb with the older engine? Sure, I could just take the plate off the old carb that has the nipple and put it on the new carb. Then I'm faced with if the new carb will run properly when it wasn't designed to run with the pressure tap.

Anyone have any experience with this? Should I just run the new carb as is?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as the pump nipple and pump operation goes, yes you can just use the cover plate from the old carb. On the new carb, there is also a hole on the mating flange between the carb and the reed body that will need to be plugged or blocked off by the flange gasket. You can do this with either a gasket that has no hole or block off the drilled hole in the carb body with a bit of JB Weld or equivalent.

Regarding whether the new carb will work correctly on your engine, I have no way of knowing that. What is the # of the new carb and where did you source it? A new one from Tower is less than $40 and it comes with the correct fitting. Replacement fuel inlet fittings are available from a number of sources for around $5.00 and this includes the plastic ones like you had or all metal ones that are nearly indestructible.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:46 PM
djmp69

Thanks, that' good info, really helpful. I guess this is par for the course when putting new parts on 6 year old engines. Funny thing, the point you made about Tower having the right part, well that' exactly why I have the problem. The carb they sent me is the one without the pump nipple. But You gave me an idea. If I understand you correctly, that hole on the new carb does the job of the nipple/line setup, so I should be able to use the new carb as is and just cap off the nipple one the reed block. Would that be the same as your suggestion of sealing off the hole and using the cover plate from the old carb you think?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:15 AM
Truckracer

Not exactly, the 55 will require the exterior pressure line like the original carb had. The 55 reed block does not have the internal pressure passage.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:55 AM
djmp69

UPDATE: So going off your suggestions, I decided to do a ittle experimenting. I put the new carb on and capped off the reed block nipple. Put some gas in the tank, turned the prop, and it was drawing nicely. At least visually anyway. Since its 3am, I'll wait for day to start the engine and see how it runs, hopefully that's it?

thanx again!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:58 AM
djmp69

Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Not exactly, the 55 will require the exterior pressure line like the original carb had. The 55 reed block does not have the internal pressure passage.
Oops, just read your reply. Crap. So basically they sent me the wrong carb and I have to rig it. Not fun. Anybody out there have a good correct DLE 55 carb?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Truckracer

Tower Hobbies shows the correct carb in stock for $34.99. With a typical Tower coupon, than can be in your mailbox for under $30.00.

Companies such as Mile High Hobbies or Valley View RC also have the carbs in stock for prices under $50.00. For an engine as common as a DLE55, you shouldn't have to adapt or modify anything.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:29 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would use the new carb and order a new reed block. That should work, right????

Rich
Old 01-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by jwrich View Post
I would use the new carb and order a new reed block. That should work, right????

Rich
But the 55 reed blocks are not drilled or designed for the internal pressure port. DLE 55 and similarly the DA50 use an external pressure line for a reason. Why cobble something together when the correct parts are readily available. The new carb in hand might work perfectly well using the pump cover from the old carb. Many carbs are available in two or more versions, some with or without the external pressure port.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info, you are right, I have replaced the two cover plates from Webro carb before. Should work, give it a try can't hurt.

Rich
Old 01-27-2018, 01:39 PM
djmp69

Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Tower Hobbies shows the correct carb in stock for $34.99. With a typical Tower coupon, than can be in your mailbox for under $30.00.

Companies such as Mile High Hobbies or Valley View RC also have the carbs in stock for prices under $50.00. For an engine as common as a DLE55, you shouldn't have to adapt or modify anything.
my point exactly. I guess what I failed to mention is that the carb Tower sent me is not the one in the picture. When I placed the order with Tower, I thought all I would have to do at most was pull the line from the old carb and connect it to the new one. Of COURSE, the one the sent is not the one pictured or indicated on their site so it is going back.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Truckracer

FYI, the DLE 55 uses an external pressure line. The DLE35 RA uses an internal pressure port.

AFAIK, the only differences between the carbs is the pressure fitting and the drilled hole to the flange on the RA carb. Want to use the RA carb on the side exhaust engine ..... swap the cover plates and plug the drilled hole. Install, tune and run.

Last edited by Truckracer; 01-27-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
djmp69

Default UPDATE: Solved

UPDATE: Solved!

So in my case, I noticed that the new carb will work fine in a few different configurations.

One, I can swap out the cover plates, and theres no need to cover the hole on the mate flange because where the hole goes to is blocked off at the plate. This way I can use the carb as designed in the first place.

Two, I can leave the new carb as is, plug up the pulse line. The little hole I noticed is not obstructed by the heat block, so I will still get the pulse, it goes to the same plate as the line. The only annoing thing would be the line flopping around, which I can easily restrain.

Thanx everyone for your help and input!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Vandrezambon

Default Which configuration did you used?

Hi, how did you solved the problem? Worked well? Thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 11:23 PM
djmp69

See above. The engine actually seems to be performing even better than before!