Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCExl OFF with signal loss

Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Parkfley1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCExl OFF with signal loss

G'day all.

I can't seem to get m RCExl opto kill switch to turn OFF with a loss of radio signal on my DX18.

I can switch it on and off via my preferred switch but when I switch my radio off, the LED stays ON.

What am I missing?

Cheers
Old 04-02-2018, 04:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Set the ignition switch to OFF
Rebind your receiver
Old 04-02-2018, 04:27 AM
Parkfley1

Tried that as per the manual. No joy....
Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

Which RX is it?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Parkfley1

12000 series Spektrum. Dual battery input version.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:40 AM
karolh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which channel on your Rx are you using to power the kill switch. Sometimes to get the switch to respond the % gain on the channel used has to be increased / decreased depending on the radio type..
Old 04-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Parkfley1

Not sure of the exact designation of the switch but I'm using a DX18 Gen 2.

It's a 2 position switch on the left shoulder of the radio.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM
David2011
My Feedback: (1)

I would love to see a good answer to this question. I'm having the same problem. I’m using separate ignition and receiver LiFe batteries that were fully charged when I installed the switch last night. The transmitter is a Spektrum DX7 that has been updated to DSMX. I have tried AR6210 DSMX and AR7000 DSM2 receivers.I have spent many hours both before and after the installation reading about installing the kill switch to get it operating correctly.
With both receivers the configuration is Battery>mechanical switch>RCExl Switch>Ignition power in. With both receivers I bound the receiver in the desired failsafe condition with the toggle switch assigned to the opto switch in the off position and the throttle at idle. With the AR6210 six channel receiver I used the gear channel, channel 5 which is a toggle switch. With the AR7000 I used AUX2 which is channel 7. With both receivers the opto switch turns on and off with the toggle switches on the transmitter. Travel for the gear and Aux2 are both set at +100% for position 0 and -100% for position 1.

Last edited by David2011; 05-22-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error, punctuation
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM
BarracudaHockey

So what is your question, I answered the voltage question with a "good answer"
Old 05-22-2018, 02:52 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
I wold love to see a good answer to this question. I'm having the same problem.Im using separate ignition and receiver LiFe batteries that were fully charged when I installed the switch last night. The transmitter is a Spektrum DX7 that has been updated to DSMX. I have tried AR6210 DSMX and AR7000 DSM2 receivers.I have spent many hours both before and after the installation reading about installing the kill switch to get it operating correctly.
With both receivers the configuration is Battery>mechanical switch>RCExl Switch>Ignition power in. With both receivers I bound the receiver in the desired failsafe condition with the toggle switch assigned to the opto switch in the off position and the throttle at idle.With the AR6210 six channel receiver I used the gear channel, channel 5 which is a toggle switch. With the AR7000 I used AUX2 which is channel 7. With both receivers the opto switch turns on and off with the toggle switches on the transmitter. Travel for the gear and Aux2 are both set at +100% for position 0 and -100% for position 1.
So what is your problem ????
Old 05-22-2018, 03:19 PM
David2011

Same as the OP: " I can't seem to get m RCExl opto kill switch to turn OFF with a loss of radio signal ". Sorry; thought that was understood when I said I was having the same problem. It works as it should from the radio toggle switches; just doesn't shut down with LOS.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM
David2011

After my original post I extended the travel limits to 150% for Aux2 using the AR7000 receiver. No change in the LOS response. The LED still stays lit when I turn the transmitter off.

Barracuda, I've re-read this thread multiple times and don't see any reference to a voltage problem or question.

Last edited by David2011; 05-22-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 PM
David2011

After more reading and research I've learned that Spektrum failsafe is not the same as what I was familiar with in my older Futaba radios. With the Futaba with which I was familiar the failsafe was "on" - using preset settings or "off" (not really but that's what they called it) where it retained the last set of good commands.With Spektrum there's SmartSafe + Hold Last on most of their receivers and later receivers with higher channel counts added Preset Failsafe. I haven't bought any receivers over 6 channels in several years and it turned out that only one of my receivers, an AR7000 will take preset failsafe settings. I have another AR7000 that was apparently made before the change and it won't take presets.

SmartSafe cuts the throttle to idle and holds the last good command for all other controls so the receiver was telling the ignition to stay on.

The RCexl switch works perfectly once I found a receiver that will take presets. If I turn the transmitter off the LED goes out in less than a second and the control surfaces go to their preset neutral positions.

Receivers newer than the AR7000 that have preset failsafe have instructions on how to bind in preset failsafe. It requires binding twice and pulling the bind plug before binding on the second bind.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

Sorry, I've been following 2 threads, one about voltage, one about binding.

Yes, smart safe binding if available on your rx is the way to go. I should have scrolled up to see which one I was reading!

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 05-23-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM
David2011

SmartSafe binding was happening with the AR6210 and one of the AR7000 receivers and they wouldn't shut the RCExl switch off. The other AR7000 allows Preset Failsafe and it does shut the RCExl switch off so I'll be using it even though it's DSM2 instead of DMSX. Guess I need to buy some newer receivers for my bigger airplanes that have electronic ignition.

I appreciate the discussion. It got me thinking and made me change the search words I was using in my research which led to the discovery that not all Spektrum receivers allow preset failsafe.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:23 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
SmartSafe binding was happening with the AR6210 and one of the AR7000 receivers and they wouldn't shut the RCExl switch off. The other AR7000 allows Preset Failsafe and it does shut the RCExl switch off so I'll be using it even though it's DSM2 instead of DMSX. Guess I need to buy some newer receivers for my bigger airplanes that have electronic ignition.
David2011, I guess the joke's on me as I too have an RC Exl Opto kill switch installed in my 20cc gasser which is activated by ch.5 ( Gear) switch on my trusty Fut 8UAF Tx upgraded to 2.4 with a FrSky module which works great, but reading your post got me wondering and checking my system I have found out that turning off the Tx does not turn off the ignition as it should. My Tx manual says I need to switch Ch.5 from Normal to F/S in the Failsafe Menu via the Basic Menu, but when I go into Basic Menu and try to go to the F/S menu via the ATV menu as told I can't find the F/S Menu...….so what am I doing wrong. Hopefully someone still using this model radio or knowing how to navigate it will chime in.

The funny thing is I was quite happy with how the switch works manually but now I want to get the whole package.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:36 AM
BarracudaHockey

It's been a while but I recall that you only get the F/S option when the radio is in PCM mode and if I'm remembering right you can't run PCM mode with a module.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:59 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
It's been a while but I recall that you only get the F/S option when the radio is in PCM mode and if I'm remembering right you can't run PCM mode with a module.
You are dead right, as after pondering over this for quite some time last I finally realized just that.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 PM
David2011

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
David2011, I guess the joke's on me as I too have an RC Exl Opto kill switch installed in my 20cc gasser which is activated by ch.5 ( Gear) switch on my trusty Fut 8UAF Tx upgraded to 2.4 with a FrSky module which works great, but reading your post got me wondering and checking my system I have found out that turning off the Tx does not turn off the ignition as it should. My Tx manual says I need to switch Ch.5 from Normal to F/S in the Failsafe Menu via the Basic Menu, but when I go into Basic Menu and try to go to the F/S menu via the ATV menu as told I can't find the F/S Menu....so what am I doing wrong. Hopefully someone still using this model radio or knowing how to navigate it will chime in.

The funny thing is I was quite happy with how the switch works manually but now I want to get the whole package.
Sorry to burst your bubble there but glad you found out in a controlled environment. I was willing to fly mine without the LOS cutoff but really wanted the engine to die in a LOS event. The wreck might not be quite as bad if the engine isn't driving the airplane into the ground any harder. I also had to find where I was getting air into the fuel line and finally after pulling the tank 3 times found the tiniest imaginable leak just outside of the brass stopper tubing. Then I spent a couple of hours replacing threaded wood with threaded brass inserts for the fuel tank cover screws. Had to make the brass inserts because there wasn't enough wood to install commercial ones. After re-balancing and a range check it should be ready to fly again.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 AM
karolh

Well as they say, all's well that ends well. Someone suggested that having the engine die on a loss of signal might not be so practical as having the throttle go to a low idle failsafe setting so if one's system gets a hit and momentary loses signal and then regains it one would have the ability to throttle back up and make a safe landing rather than having to deal with a dead engine situation.