Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Any ever used Amsoil in their RCGF engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Any ever used Amsoil in their RCGF engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Matt Cho
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ever used Amsoil in their RCGF engine?

Hello all, just got my first gas motor, RCGF 15cc. I currently fly turbines so I have quite of bit of Amsoil Dominator 2-cycle full synthetic oil around. Would it be safe to use in a gas motor? If not, what do you guys recommend?
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's safe enough, but it's dirty, building up on the sides of the piston pretty quickly.

Redline seems to be pretty popular, for just the opposite reason. It leaves the engine pretty clean.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Red Line, or Sthil Ultra
Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran amzoil for years in my engines . In the larger 100cc engines it wasn't that much of an issue but found the 50 cc and smaller engines ran hotter and built up a lot of carbon . I would not advise using it especially in the smaller engines under 50cc . The smaller bearings need more lube than 100:1 can provide . Even if you mix your fuel @ 50:1 using the amzoil will not provide the cooling via the oil that you need . The result will be hotter running and quick carbon build up and possibly premature bearing failure . I would stick with the Stihl or Redline at 30:1
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Matt Cho

Thanks everyone, gonna go with redline or Stihl.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The OP asked about Amsoil Dominator which very unlike Amsoil Sabre is a tolerably decent oil. Dominator has been around for years and is recommended for use at more normal mix ratios than Sabre. Dominator doesn't produce the hard, almost plated on carbon like Sabre does. If there were no other choices I could live with Dominator oil though in my opinion there are much more suitable oils to choose from. These days I'm a Red Line guy and after seeing the internals of several engines, I see no reason to look to any other oil choice.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Matt Cho

It is the 2 cycle full synthetic version, Amsoil Dominator. I’ve never had issues with it in my turbines, but of course, that’s a totally different thing, altogether.........
Old 01-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

And Dominator is what I commented about above.