Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rcgf 15cc

Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 AM
flyingninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcgf 15cc

Hi quick question when you mount this engine to fire wall do you have to built any right angle on the fire wall and if so by how much in centermiter. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 03-21-2019, 08:58 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts

That depends on the airplane design and not the engine but in most cases I would say yes. Offset the engine mount 5mm to the left and then center the engine shaft with the center of the cowl. You will have to add shims to one side of the mount if the firewall does not already have the angle built it.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 PM
flyingninja

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
That depends on the airplane design and not the engine but in most cases I would say yes. Offset the engine mount 5mm to the left and then center the engine shaft with the center of the cowl. You will have to add shims to one side of the mount if the firewall does not already have the angle built it.
hi speed sorry for late response do you mean to the right side of the mount and yes my fire wall doesn't have any angle to it
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts

I did mean offset to the left to provide right thrust. Right and left are defined as if you were sitting in the airplane
Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 PM
flyingninja

Originally Posted by flyingninja View Post
hi speed sorry for late response do you mean to the right side of the mount and yes my fire wall doesn't have any angle to it
got it speed thanks for that info
Old 03-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Stick 40

I have not done this a lot lately, but I always thought it was shim to the right and a little down. In other words the shim would go on the left side of the mount and on top for down thrust ? This was to counter act the prop forcing the plane up and left??

just wondering if I forgot?

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 03-27-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sticks, your thinking is fine. The bigger question will be how much of each is required on this model, with this engine, while running this prop. To many, it may not make enough difference to make it worth bothering with. Others will split hairs getting it perfect. Your call. I would fly the maiden with no shims to see what, if anything, is needed....
Old 03-28-2019, 02:48 AM
Stick 40

Default yes

Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Sticks, your thinking is fine. The bigger question will be how much of each is required on this model, with this engine, while running this prop. To many, it may not make enough difference to make it worth bothering with. Others will split hairs getting it perfect. Your call. I would fly the maiden with no shims to see what, if anything, is needed....
That is why I have not done it in some time, it can help on a plane that want to bank hard with excessive thro.
In rereading speeds post, I think we are saying the same thing, just two different ways of saying it.

Good post, great to bring this up for any new flyers .

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 03-28-2019 at 02:53 AM.