Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Thr. arm spring

Old 04-15-2019, 06:01 AM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE Thr. arm spring

I bought a Ultra stick lite , with a DLE 20 on it. The DLE never ran very well.I just put a new Carb. On it and it is running great.But I notice , there is a spring on the THR, arm on both carbs. I would like to disable the spring to cut down on battery draw. Just wondering if that will cause a problem?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 AM
mogman

On a lot of my planes I use a piece of kevlar cord (or similar) to open the throttle and let the spring on the carb close it.

Works very well. There is MINIMAL resistance leaving the spring on the arm.

If you do decide to remove the spring, just unhook it from the arm, but leave the spring in place. It helps to keep the throttle plate centered and stop vibration that causes wear on the throttle shaft.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Disabling the spring won't create an issue as long as it is still there to apply a slight side load to the throttle plate. If the throttle plate is free to vibrate sideways it will create mixture fluxutions. I left the spring attached on my last tow gas engines. It really does not load the servo all that much and having it loaded did seem to give a little more positive throttle control.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Some years ago I published tests on how much current a servo draws holding against a throttle spring. The test involved a number of different servos and Walbro carb models. The conclusion was that a servo draws very little current while holding against a Walbro throttle spring. There is simply no reason to cut, disable or remove a throttle spring as there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Stick 40

good, thanks for the reply's. I will leave it .

I was trying to fix the first post with the sp and some how reposted. LOL