Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito 300 Twin

Old 03-02-2020, 04:23 PM
tonymart
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 300 Twin

I have a Saito 300 Twin, single carb version, which was originally run on glow for around 3 years before being converted to gas using the Morris Mini Motors full gas kit. The engine has run well on gas for almost 2 years, but has now developed a serious problem.
The exhaust valve seats are worn out in both cylinders rendering the engine pretty much useless. There is no metal left for the valves to seal and they both drop inside the exhaust chamber in the head.
My question is does anyone have a similar experience or suggestions as to what may have caused this. Is it likely the increased head temperature of a gas engine could be to blame?
One thing I do notice is that Saito fit bronze inserts for the exhaust guide and seat on their dedicated gas engines, whereas only the guides have bronze inserts on glow engines.
I have owned and used many Saito engines over a period of 35 years, and generally have found them to be of good quality.
Any help here will be most welcome.