Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Can you identify this CRRC Pro Engine?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Can you identify this CRRC Pro Engine?

Old 08-02-2020, 07:53 PM
wingtip-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you identify this CRRC Pro Engine?

Im looking at buying a plane with this CRRC engine installed. Seller has no idea the displacement and i am not finding any info on one of these engines with a black head. Also, if someone does know what size this is, does it have the same vibration issues and timing issues of the 26R or is that just related to the Rear induction engines??? Thank you

Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM
wingtip-RCU

So far the only one i found with a BLACK cylinder head is this one https://feixiang668.en.made-in-china...ype-Gp26r.html

Obviously mine isnt rear carb but is a side carb, but is this 26cc enough to lift this hangar 9 Cessna pig if it is in fact a 26? The shop owner wont be back in till wednesday but he thinks its a 45. He is going to look for some more identifying marks when he gets in wednesday.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM
wingtip-RCU

After studying the photos they sent me all day long and searching the internet i am fairly certain this may be the 50cc engine. Basing that on the twin exhaust stacks, and the shape of the block and cylinder head when compared to images online. The only difference is the color in the cylinder head which may be just a different year of manufacture ??? But the recommended prop for the 50 doesnt match the prop that is on it..It has an 18-6 installed but the 50 recommends 20x10, 22x8, 22x10 so im even more confused lol. Break in prop??

When the shop owner get's in wednesday and i hopefully get some more info and photos i will let you guys know... i think if it is the 50 i will buy this... i just dont look forward to the long drive to buy it... 4+ hours each way.... uggg

The one thing i havent seen in the photo's is the ignition box or cable to the spark plug... so if thats missing it will give me some bargaining room lol....Not a bad thing from the threads ive read on here about crrc ignitions.... I may go for the CH Ignition. but Can someone explain to me which one to get? I see ignitions for 90 degree, 120 degree, and others listed under single cylinder ignitions on their website.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:24 PM
wingtip-RCU

I bought the plane... i was close on the engine but we have finally confirmed its identity. it is a crrc pro THOR 45. from some other threads i found this description of this motor:

Included in many of those changes/developments are:

1) New crankcases with better main bearing retention. The original cases had huge problems with
bearing retention and some problems with vibration. Also, that's why the cylinder is the other way around compared to the CRRC Pro engine. This corrects a lot of the vibration that occurred in the CRRC pro engine as the
bearings shook loose. Also included in the new setup is a slightly changed compression ratio.
2) Different prop driver with 4 radial bolts instead of three to avoid prop
strengthening webs. The face has 'gripping' grooves so that a single bolt
fixing can be used if required.
3) Carburettor insulator for improved hot starting.
4) Improved ignition unit and new sensor mount.
5) Different muffler for easier/compact installation and lower noise.
6) Mounting system supplied that actually works.
7) Good instructions to suit the first time gas engine user.
8) Better pricing.

In the USA, the Thor engine is serviced and supported with parts by Global Hobby Distributors and in UK/Europe by Ripmax.

Mike Greenshields
Product Manager
Global Hobby

a picture of the box it came in (this pic isnt mine but is the same box i have, mine is just to faded to post but is the exact same)

The ignition box they gave me is not the one thats suppose to have came with this engine so they got me on that one... So ill just get a CH ignition like i originally planned anyways.. But im still waiting for someone to answer my question on how to tell which one to get, the 90 deg or the 120.... i have no idea ...

Old 08-07-2020, 05:56 AM
mogman

The 90 or 120 degree is the angle the plug cap sits on the plug.
If room in the cowl is tight, you may want the 90.
No difference in the ignition, just the plug cap angles.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:30 AM
wingtip-RCU

After going through 60 pages of posts on spark plugs for this and then those recommended plugs werent even the correct thread size i just contacted adrian at ch ignitions and he helped me get the right plug and ignition ordered. Should be here by tomorrow... It was really odd, most were recommending some NGK BPMR6F. it was way to small and just falls in... yet the online plug cross reference showed it as a 14mm thread diameter but i ended up with the BMR6A and its a true 14mm thread... anyways. I just hope i can use the sensor thats already installed (THOR Sensor) so i dont have to mess with timing if i have to install the ch sensor to match the ch ignition...

It will be a bit before i try to fire it up though. Im still gathering stuff i need as i havent been a "regular" flyer for several years now. Ive had to buy new batteries for everything, my starter battery packs, the rx pack, an ignition battery, i still need a new flight box battery for charging and pumping fuel in the field, i need some wing bags as these two planes are just enormous. I need to find a small enclosed trailer dirt cheap as its a tight fit trying to get both of these planes into my truck let alone any field gear....
The cessna 182 is 95 inch wingspan and the cessna 188 ag wagon is 94... and with the 182 being 6 feet in length it barely fits in my f150 bed. It has to be set caddy corner to fit but does fit lol......