Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

In-fuse muffler heat - need for insulation and protection?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

In-fuse muffler heat - need for insulation and protection?

Old 10-27-2020, 07:40 AM
Svante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-fuse muffler heat - need for insulation and protection?

Hi all.
I'm building a giant Corsair with a Zenoah 62 up front. To reduce things hanging out I have put the muffler behind the firewall. It's a stainless steel type can muffler from Toni Clark, similar to this one: https://toni-clark-shop.com/Stainles...-and-ZG-62S-SL. All of it is behind the firewall wth just the flex pipe going through. The out-pipe sticks out through a small hole at the bottom of the fuse in front of the wing,
I am not sure how worried I should be about the heat? One thing is the hot metal closest to the balsa, e.g. around the flex pipe, and another is the heat build-up in the fuse.
I was thinking to put some glass insulation lining around the muffler, which will help for not scorching the wood and for making a barrier between the rear of the muffler and the rest of the inventory (gas tank, electronics, batteries), but it will not get rid of the heat itself. Wondering how much I need to do? Anyone having had good or bad experiences with this type of setup?
Thanks
Henning
Old 11-20-2020, 07:46 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a silicon flex pipe to attach muffler, then no worries about heat transfer back to engine.
may want to spray inside of muffler compartment w high temperature automotive paint to protect the wood.
ive run a completely enclosed canister behind a DLE 55 engine for many flights without issues.
cooling engine is all you need.
baffle the engine w 6mm thick foam from Creatology that you can buy a sheet from Michaels Craft store for $1.
easy to trim w hobby knife and glue w CA or hot glue. It’s heat resistant too.
khoi
Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 AM
kmeyers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much all the 50cc and larger crop of aerobats come with tunnels and exits designed for canisters. You should copy these designs as they have proven themselves over many years of use now. They do have flow thru cooling and good size openings for exit air.

Just my .02 cents.