Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gasser fuel tank questions

Old 02-01-2021, 08:22 PM
ratfkr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasser fuel tank questions

New to gas engines but decided to go with a DLE 20 for my current project and had 2 questions.
1:The gas engine setups I have seen 'looked from my limited experience' like modified plastic drink bottles, like a Fiji bottle water with a metal cap and some fuel ports. As well all the tanks I have seen pre-made with all the plumbing in place, also look like Fiji water bottles. SO what type of plastic is required for a fuel tank for gas engines? Not that I plan of going to my nearest 7-11 for a bottle of water. The pre-plumbed gas tanks I have seen online arent that expensive. Just wondering if a certain type of plastic(polyethlene,polycarbonate) is required for gas.
2: what size tank for a 20cc? I figure its a factor of plane type and size as much as engine size but wondering if there was some sort of chart or guide that can give a general idea.
Thanks for any constructive input

Last edited by ratfkr; 02-01-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

The clear tanks that are common these days are made from PETG plastic just like most clear plastic beverage bottles. It is cheapest to buy this kind of tank as an assembly rather than gathering the various parts and assembling your own. Tanks are available from many vendors such as Extreme Flight, Valley View RC, various Chinese vendors under the Kuza brand and others, etc. Many outlets and most are made by Kuza. I'd always recommend a 3 line tank in a gasser.

With the right stopper and fuel lines, Polyethylene tanks like DuBro and Sullivan are still viable for gasoline and are still widely used.

I usually use something like a 12 - 14oz tank on a 20 but sometimes I fly these planes longer than is usual so 12 would be more than plenty for most applications. You would use a larger tank in something like a warbird where you are flying at full throttle more than in something like an aerobatic plane where you use the throttle more.

Last edited by Truckracer; 02-01-2021 at 08:42 PM.