Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF 60cc Needle Valve

Old 06-08-2021, 06:36 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RCGF 60cc Needle Valve

I have a new RCGF 60cc engine.
For some reason the high end needle valve on the Walbro carburetor seems to have no effect on the mixture.
While it is running great it is a bit to lean for a new engine.
I have backed the needle out to the point it is about ready to fall out and still will not richen the mixture.
Any ideas or thought on what is going on with this and what to do to remedy it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:26 AM
kmeyers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with what you did. Going to the case first that the maker made errors, is never where I start with something new.
double check the whole fuel tank, lines, connections and design (a similar problem once was a cap left on the vent line cap, removed problem gone). I like to fill and empty the tank to make sure there are no restrictions. If all components were new some bits inside the tank could have clogged your carbs inlet screen. Pump pulse line working?
Again check your setup, and report back if all good. shouldn't take long.
Pics are nice too.

Last edited by kmeyers; 06-08-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Good advice above. If you don’t find any issues and your engine uses the Walbro HDA-246 carb, some of these carbs had this lean HS problem. Especially ones sold a few years ago. In most cases the fix was to replace the carb with a newer version that had the problem resolved. By the way the issue wasn’t limited to just one engine company. Pretty much everyone using that carb had the issue early on. Some adventurous users drilled the HS fuel passages but I wouldn’t recommend that unless you really know your away around inside a Walbro carb. If problem persists and other issues are ruled out, I’d just replace the carb. If your engine doesn’t use this carb, ignore everything I wrote!
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 AM
OldScaleGuy

Thanks fella's. I did all those things checking the entire system before this post.
I spoke with a friend and fellow engine expert yesterday, he gave me some additional tips which i also performed.
No improvement to the issue.
I am not sure sitting here this morning the carb number but will have a look at that when i get to the shop later this morning.
However, all that said, a new carb is on the way. Will follow up with the results as soon as it arrives.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:48 AM
OldScaleGuy

Just confirmed, mine is a Walbro HDA-246 carb.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:10 AM
OldScaleGuy

Lesson learned.
After many failed attempts to resolve this issue, it has been resolved.
Being 100% sure the new carburetor would fix the issue, that wasn't it.
So, i pulled the fuel tank and found what i thought was the fuel line making a Z shape from the tank to the carburetor was restricting the fuel flow. I made some changes opened up some holes in the firewall so i could see inside better once the tank was re-installed. Again being 100% sure i now had the problem resolved only to find out that wasn't it either.
My wife is great support. She said have you checked that "clunker thing". I said "no, i have never had a problem with the clunk". She said "check it just to be sure".
Of course knowing that wasn't the issue i was at wits end and about to give up. Regardless out comes the tank and out some the lines and clunk.
Sure enough, after close inspection i found when the manufacture machined the cross slot in the end of the clunk, it set up a burr closing the fuel flow by ~50%.
Installing a new clunk (after a through inspection) and re-installing everything one more time...... Problem solved...!!! I now have a great running engine.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 AM
Truckracer

Good to hear you found the problem. Thanks to your wife for suggesting that “clunker thing”!! Wives, what would we do without them?
Old 07-08-2021, 09:38 AM
OldScaleGuy

I would be in big trouble without mine.....
Old 07-09-2021, 10:43 AM
kmeyers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm disappointed, we never got any pics.
great news does that mean there is a carb for sale?
Old 07-10-2021, 02:33 AM
OldScaleGuy

What pictures would you like?
There may be a carb for sale. I am waiting on a reply from RCGF to see what they would like to do. I feel like i owe them for the carb they sent. Stay tuned.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy View Post
What pictures would you like?
There may be a carb for sale. I am waiting on a reply from RCGF to see what they would like to do. I feel like i owe them for the carb they sent. Stay tuned.
So they sent you a carb under warranty? Thats good customer service.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:52 AM
OldScaleGuy

Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
So they sent you a carb under warranty? Thats good customer service.
Yes sir, they sure did. RCGF is a good company with great engines.