Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

rcgf question for the masses

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 12:52 AM
lordraptor1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcgf question for the masses

ok here is a quick question because searches not only this form but rcu and basically a interwebs search yielded NADA.

has anyone ever installsd one of the RCGF gasoline engines in a sig hog bipe?

if so

1. did you use the 15cc or the 20cc? any mods done to kit in order to use 15cc?, 20cc? rcgf gas engine
2. were you running a cowl with said rcgf 15cc/20cc engine? and what cowl were you using?

reason for my questions is simple, im planning on buying and building a sig hog bipe at teh end of the month and i really want to go with a pump gas/2-cycle engine for the project and im planning on using an RV-4 cowl on the hog bipe.

i have looked at saitos gas offereings but couple things turn me away from them like last saito 4 stroke i had was in constant need of needing the valves adjusted, price, and the fact that tehy always seem to be on backorder when i am looking at them.

for calrification i have looked at the dle engines as well but according to the spec sheets the dle engines weigh a little more than the RCGF engines. i have heard good things from people that have used the rcgf engines but havent found any instances of an rcgf being used in a hog bipe.

feel free to offer any info you have on the subject, thanks.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:18 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Its pretty much whether the engine will fit the airframe while taking into consideration finding a location to mount the ignition box. The gas engine combination will weigh a bit more than the glo engines the plane was designed around. One positive is being able to move the tank back farther for the gas engine and it can be considerably smaller than for a glo engine. The Hog Bipe has a fairly small fuselage that gets kinda busy with a simple glo engine. A gas engine will complicate that some. A gas engine will probably run a larger diameter prop than the glo engine. Is the landing gear tall enough to accommodate that? Sorry the response is not more specific but you already have the tools to make a decision. I love gas engines but installing one in a Hog Bipe wouldn’t be my choice. Glo engines still have their place in some of these older designed airframes.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:20 AM
lordraptor1

i hear you there but at the same time glo ( at least for planes) has some serious issues right now locally on availability, and higher price, then there is the glo fuel mess.

i really dont want to go 4 stroke again especially with the saito being almost $400 when they are in stock and as i said previously my first saito 4 stroke experience sucked with haveing to constantly ( after every flight) having to reset the valves).
Old 07-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I’m 100% with you and have weighed those same decisions before. Some times I chose gas, sometimes glo and sometimes I abandoned the project as not practical for gas power. You just have to consider the necessary compromises and decide if the finished project is what you really want and can you live with the necessary compromises. Sometimes its just best to go with a project designed around gas power.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:54 PM
lordraptor1

still my question remains has anyone ever installed one of the rcgf gasser engines in a hog bipe and if so did the hog bipe have a cowl on it especially if it was an rv-4 cowl.