Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30 crank moving forward??

Old 04-05-2022, 04:08 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 30 crank moving forward??

I bought a DLE30 quite a few years ago & also finally finished the plane i was to put it on. A sig 4 atar 120. Today when i was finally getting to run the engine & tune it, it got to all of a sudden dieing. Long story short, the whole hib assembly seemed to be coming forward & it couldnt pick up the magnet to spark. I bumped it with my hand with a little force & it returned. I removed the prop which was still tight to see what was up. Well, so far i dont know what to do next. The manual shows the threaded end where the prop nut & washer goes is all one piece. Anyone have any idea of what i should do? Its definatly out of warranty. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:58 AM
kmeyers

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the condition of the engine when you bought New? Used?

The drive nut pushes the hub against the front bearing and pulls the crank shaft shoulder against the rear bearing into the crank case rear bearing pocket, until the rear bearing is seated. Tightening until the front bearing is seated against the back of the crank case front bearing pocket. I don't believe there is a spacer to the 30.

If the drive nut is not tightened enough, this could be one possible cause for your problem.

With the piston down put a couple of feet of small soft rope into the cylinder and tighten the drive nut (enough rope to stop the piston and spread the load).

Last edited by kmeyers; 04-06-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:17 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
What was the condition of the engine when you bought New? Used?

The drive nut pushes the hub against the front bearing and pulls the crank shaft shoulder against the rear bearing into the crank case rear bearing pocket, until the rear bearing is seated. Tightening until the front bearing is seated against the back of the crank case front bearing pocket. I don't believe there is a spacer to the 30.

If the drive nut is not tightened enough, this could be one possible cause for your problem.

With the piston down put a couple of feet of small soft rope into the cylinder and tighten the drive nut (enough rope to stop the piston and spread the load).
+1 to all the above though I prefer a holding fixture for the front hub rather than using the rope trick. The fixture is a simple piece of flat aluminum or steel stock with a hole in the end to clear the socket for the nut and two small holes on either side of the larger one to secure it to the hub with short bolts. If everything is tight, the crank can move and as stated above, there is no bearing spacer on the 30.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:43 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Could you post a photo of the shaft extension and drive hub without the prop attached. Sounds like your missing parts or have the wrong parts.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark View Post
Could you post a photo of the shaft extension and drive hub without the prop attached. Sounds like your missing parts or have the wrong parts.
There are only two parts, the hub and the retaining nut. Of course there is a keyway in the crank and a key but that wouldn't cause endplay even if missing.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:58 PM
A. J. Clark

Originally Posted by crashland 73 View Post
The manual shows the threaded end where the prop nut & washer goes is all one piece. .
This sentence made me think something isn't right.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:41 PM
A. J. Clark

In this post he says it's been fixed. Dle contact info? Other than digi tech or e-snail mail but I guess I didn't understand the problem and still don't.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark View Post
In this post he says it's been fixed. Dle contact info? Other than digi tech or e-snail mail but I guess I didn't understand the problem and still don't.
His description of his repair makes no sense. Oh well ...... he got responses offering suggestions and help.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:25 PM
kmeyers

I wonder?

Original DLE 30 ?
Old 04-06-2022, 03:54 PM
Truckracer

Side intake 30 with a prop hub extender? Possible conversion to single bolt prop retainer?
Old 04-06-2022, 05:09 PM
kmeyers

Right, VV was big on single bolt conversions. You had to do them right though.

Where is Jedi Jodi when we need him?

Last edited by kmeyers; 04-06-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:19 PM
Truckracer

A lot of people loved those single bolt conversions. I've used many engines with both styles of prop retention but never found the need to change an engine from one type to the other. Both styles work just fine for the most part.