Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rcgf 20cc twin

Old 04-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rcgf 20cc twin

I have an rcgf twin that starts ok with an electric starter but when idling the right hand cylinder miss fire's. The motor will not take throttle as the cylinder drops out completely except for the occasional pop. If you jockey the throttle up and down slowly after 1/2 a minute or so the right cylinder will catch and fire normally and the motor runs as it should. I have been blaming the spark plugs for this fault but I now think it's more than that. Would have thought if it was faulty ignition it would not run correctly at all.........help its got me beat.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:26 PM
mchandrayan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried swapping the ignition leads and see if the issue shifts to the other side? Same with swapping the plug to other side ? That should indicate if it's the plug, lead/boot/ignition or something else?
Old 04-18-2022, 02:52 PM
Conrod

Been away flying pylon, finally got to try engine again yesterday. Swapped plug leads no change then Swapped plugs and the opposite cylinder miss fired until warmed up with throttle jockeying.
Do know plugs can break done under load but this plug is ok after everything warms up and then operates as it should.
looks like a plug problem.

Last edited by Conrod; 04-18-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:09 PM
Conrod

Went flying yesterday and instead of running the 25 -1 redline oil mix, I used a 30 -1 castrol 2T oil mix and the motor ran like a Swiss watch. Will install iridium spark plugs when they arrive.
Maybe the higher oil content was causing the plug to not fire properly.
Geoff
Old 04-27-2022, 02:26 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most likely it was the ratio, i have never heard of an issue with Redline and been using it for years, mostly at 40 to 1.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:55 PM
Conrod

Yes you are probably right, as I too have been using Redline at 40-1 for many years also with no problems. I normally only use the castrol T2 (non synthetic) for run in on RCGF and DLE engines (bed in the ring faster). DA engines get redline from day one.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:42 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Non synthetic oils will seat the ring faster but it also can create a carbon build up. I use Redline from day one in all my engines, it does take longer to break in the engine but it stays pristine clean inside.