Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition=power?

Old 05-18-2022, 11:54 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ignition=power?

Has anyone had a gas engine (twin specifically) that had more power with one ignition module, then less with another?

I have an RCGF 60 twin that was kind of a dog with the stock rcgf ignition, but then came to life when I flew it with an RCXL ignition. It was running around 6300 rpm with a 22-10 prop. I have not tached it with the rcgf ignition, but it was under 6,000.

Also, this engine has very little time, along with the stock ignition. Less than 2 hours run time.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:29 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes indeed . I have 2 RCGF 70cc twins . One had less than stellar performance and after doing all the basic checks of timing , input voltage , carb adjustments etc. I installed an RCEXL ignition and it came to life . The second 70 twin has had no issues with the RCGF ignition bur I'm prepared to swap out the RCGF ign. with an RCEXL . There are a few posts on other sites with regards to RCGF ignition concerns .
Old 05-18-2022, 12:31 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is good to know. I know when I first ran it, it had a lot of power. But then after I installed it in my warbird it was like it was at half throttle.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:37 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually did a little more checking than stated in my first post . I installed the ignition with the issue on the other engine and the problem followed the ignition so my issue was definitely in the ignition module itself . I tested the kV output of both ignitions and the bad ignition had a fairly good spark but only put out about half of the kV that the good ignition put out .