Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE-20RA or DLE-30 Balsa USA 1/4 J3 Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-20RA or DLE-30 Balsa USA 1/4 J3 Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 11:51 AM
Masterguns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE-20RA or DLE-30 Balsa USA 1/4 J3 Cub?

Howdy,

Can you advise if the DLE-20RA will fit within the cowl of the 1/4 BUSA J3 Cub (new, unstarted) with minimal cutting? How about the DLE-30 with a converter rear exhaust like this one NOVAYUSA Compact Wraparound Pitts Muffler for DLE-30cc? Is the -20 enough for minimal, but adequately power this beast? Do I even need a rear exhaust for anyone of these engines to accomplish what I want...or don't want depending on how you want to interpret it?

Can either of the above fit with a side exhaust with minimal cutting to bottom of cowl? I'd also prefer to not cut the side of the cowling either. I might have to go electric power if I have to butcher the cowl too much. Thanks!

S/F,
Masterguns

Last edited by Masterguns; 03-20-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:15 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a DLE-20 side exhaust with a wrap-around pitts muffler completely enclosed in the cowl of my BUSA L-4. Competed in Scale Masters for several years with that airplane and rarely used full throttle, normal cruise at half throttle and take-off and most vertical(Ish) Cub maneuvers at 3/4 throttle.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Masterguns

Originally Posted by s3nfo
I had a DLE-20 side exhaust with a wrap-around pitts muffler completely enclosed in the cowl of my BUSA L-4. Competed in Scale Masters for several years with that airplane and rarely used full throttle, normal cruise at half throttle and take-off and most vertical(Ish) Cub maneuvers at 3/4 throttle.
Thank you! Would the rear exhaust DLE-20 be completely enclosed, also? I assume it would, but want to check.
Further, what size servos did you use? Some folks say two servos aren't needed for the elevator, some say they are. BUSA calls for two as designed. And, did you use a pull-pull for the rudder with the spring tail wheel?
As called for, I'll need (servos) 1- Throttle 2-Elevator 2-Alieron 1-Rudder ? Thanks!

S/F,
Masterguns
Old 03-21-2023, 04:54 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a DLE-20 RA, so can't answer the rear exhaust question. My go to servo is the Hitec 5645, use them on just about everything I build and that's what I used on the L-4 b because that's what I had, not what necessarily what was needed. Building for scale competition, so one servo on elevator so I would only have one connection to the elevator (center of the fuse with a wire connecting the 2 elevator halves). BUSA calls for 2 servo' on elevator cause the plane was designed back when the standard servo was 60 oz of torque, things have changed considerably since the plans were drawn. Yes, pull-pull on rudder. I had 1 servo elvator, 1 rudder, 2 ailerons 1 throttle, 1 choke
Old 03-23-2023, 07:50 AM
Masterguns

Originally Posted by s3nfo
I don't have a DLE-20 RA, so can't answer the rear exhaust question. My go to servo is the Hitec 5645, use them on just about everything I build and that's what I used on the L-4 b because that's what I had, not what necessarily what was needed. Building for scale competition, so one servo on elevator so I would only have one connection to the elevator (center of the fuse with a wire connecting the 2 elevator halves). BUSA calls for 2 servo' on elevator cause the plane was designed back when the standard servo was 60 oz of torque, things have changed considerably since the plans were drawn. Yes, pull-pull on rudder. I had 1 servo elvator, 1 rudder, 2 ailerons 1 throttle, 1 choke
I listened to your experience & I decided to order five of these yesterday. I received them this morning. These are very nice & they work as they should. I think they will perform better than expected even if they might be overkill in theory. Can't be too cautious with these giant scale planes, but not that the smaller one's can have their issues. Well, any plane for that matter. Thanks!

S/F,
Masterguns
Old 03-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterguns
I listened to your experience & I decided to order five of these yesterday. I received them this morning. These are very nice & they work as they should. I think they will perform better than expected even if they might be overkill in theory. Can't be too cautious with these giant scale planes, but not that the smaller one's can have their issues. Well, any plane for that matter. Thanks!

S/F,
Masterguns
Well, if we are talking about the Hitec 5645 servos, I'm not sure why they still have them in their product lineup. Over two years ago, they came out with the much improved D645MW (and faster D625MW) servos that have much improved performance in all areas than the older 5645 and usually at a lower price. The D645 uses the same mechanics as the older 5645 with much improved electronics, way better centering and a neat feature called soft start just to mention a few of the improvements.