Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME engines, where are they made ?

Old 11-27-2003, 08:02 AM
yclui
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME engines, where are they made ?

In US or Italy ? Just being curious.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:42 AM
carbon wingnut

Default RE: BME engines, where are they made ?

Neither,

They are made in Texas!
Old 11-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Diablo-RCU

Assembled in Texas from parts manufactured across the ocean.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:04 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Just like DA, they assemble them here in the states but are forged, machined and cast overseas to BME or DA specs. You can bet that the cylinders are made by a large chain saw/ industrial engine company and so are the crankshafts, but in small 500 batch lots. The crankcase is probably made overseas as well.

It's funny how we are paying prices like they are truly manufactured in the states with high labor costs but in reality it is just marketing and mark up.

Imagine if Carden tried to compete with imported 40% kits with a arf made in USA, it would cost double the price of the imports.

The engine packaging should read designed and assembled in the US from parts made in _ _ _ _ _ _ unless over 50% of the parts are made here in the US.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:17 PM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

They are assembled in China Spring, Texas to be exact it is somewhere just outside of Waco.

Steve
Old 11-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Tim_Indy

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

It's funny how we are paying prices like they are truly manufactured in the states with high labor costs but in reality it is just marketing and mark up.
Actually, we AREN'T paying prices like they are truly manufactured in the states, especially with these small batch lots. I'd hate to think what an All American comparable engine would cost.

Imagine if Carden tried to compete with imported 40% kits with a arf made in USA, it would cost double the price of the imports.
And would you still feel that "in reality it is just marketing and mark up"?
Old 11-28-2003, 03:48 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Sorry Tim,

I get irritated when people say these engines are made in the US. That is just bull.

If a manufacturer like Black and Decker sells a product and a certain percentage of the parts or cost of parts are from overseas they have to say what country it is manufactured in. Why don't these "american engine companies" have to do it?

Several years ago B&D made a dust buster and one of there suppliers used motors from china. The boxes all had to be labeled made in china.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Tim_Indy

And would you still feel that "in reality it is just marketing and mark up"?
No Tim,
I would buy the import and save $1500.00!
Old 11-28-2003, 04:07 PM
R Horn
My Feedback: (2)

Post removed by Moderator.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Diablo-RCU

Old 11-28-2003, 05:05 PM
R Horn

Old 11-29-2003, 01:55 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

BME uses many off the shelf Echo parts made by Kiortiz of Japan. The 44cc and 50cc short blocks are straight out of Echo chainsaws. They aren't even made to BME's specs. BME just picked the ones that best suit RC appications. Like most of their US competitors, (FPE, Brison, Taurus, etc.), most of them are "custom converted" more so than they are "manufactured" in the US.

Not that the humble industrial origin makes them any less of an engine, but neither does draping an American flag over them makes them any better of one.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

I have a 61cc twin based on an Echo chainsaw. Keith was nice enough to sell me most of the parts I needed (I had a crank). On the other hand, in a few of the threads here, this discussion has come up before. It was stated both DA and BME were getting their cylinders custom made for them in smaller batches by a German company. Basically, ported and lightened for RC airplane use. This explains why the BME 110 Extreme for example can weigh so much less than a Zenoah 74/80. Nothing wrong with the better quality industrial engines, they're just not as light. If you're not looking for the last drop of performance, who cares! I don't have a bottomless wallet - price counts too!
Old 11-29-2003, 02:16 PM
bobknudsen
My Feedback: (4)

I don't care where the parts are made--I just want mine!!!!! I have read all about them, I have watched Kolby Kiper's fly his, I have been on the list a long time--I want mine noooooooooooow!!!!!

Big Bob Knudsen
Old 11-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Kris^
Banned

AHEM...............

Okay .the ignitions are from CH.

The crankcases and all CNC machined parts are made by a contractor with CNC tooling in the Waco/Austin area, to BME's specs. BME has used 4 different machining facillities for these parts over the years, but all were US companies here in the good ole US of A.

Crankshaft assemblies and cylinders/pistons are indeed made to BME's specs by a well-reputed Chainsaw/small 2-stroke manufacturer in the Far East, but this same company makes parts for Harleys, DA, 3W, Makita, and a ton of other companies, including Black and Decker.

Bearings and small parts come from several distribution warehouses across the States.

The parts are assembled at the BME Facility in China Spring, Texas, to VERY exacting tolerances (.0003" or less. . I saw 4 crankcases that were .0005" out that were being returned to the machinist for replacement, when I visited them recently .. that's half a thousandth of an inch. . thinner than a hair). A quick note on that subject, NO BME crankshaft has ever failed, unless the owner of the engine had a bearing problem and did not stop running the engine when it was obvious that further runing could do catastrophic internal damage to the engine. Even in such extreme cases of abuse, BME has always covered any bearing failure, even if it took out the crankshaft as well, as a warranty repair. Crashed or prop-strike damaged engines are not covered under this warranty policy, of course.

Hope that answers it.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:01 PM
R Horn

Kris^ how about some inside information on the Xtreme55. Most important is the "when". Then after that it looks like it will be a reed valve engine from the teaser pic's of the cases. Any info sure would be nice.

Thanks
Rich
Old 12-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Kris^
Banned

Rich, all I can tell you is that they are in the process of getting the 55's going. They'd really rather have them out by January, but knowing Keith and his meticulous attention to QA you can just take it that "They will be built when they are PERFECT. . not before".

In the meantime the Weedy-based 50cc BME has the same power output as the DA50, is about 2 ounces lighter, and is just as dependable and easy to use. 80" planes are a no brainer for this little motor, and there is a rumor floating around that someone in Texas is developing a 33% plane for the 55's when they come out. . .

You just gotta love it.