Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Fired up my DA 50 yesterday. First impressions

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fired up my DA 50 yesterday. First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:09 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fired up my DA 50 yesterday. First impressions

Well, I have read about these engines for a long time. Thursday I got a chance to see for my self. First I really hate the rear carb and the pain of using another servo for the choke. But I really dislike the standoffs. When I started it you could tell that it was torquing something fierce. You could see it twisting against the firewall. I was using a Mejslic 23/10 at the time. Power was superb! -- Swinging that beast at 6300 RPM! Needles were good right out of the box and let me just say this engine is a work of art. How does it stack up to the rest of the engines I have owned over the years-- I have owned a few.
It gets the edge over my Taurus 3.2 and Brison 3.2 in power. I believe the rear induction is the reason for that. The DA is lighter by a bit. There is a lot less mass with the DA. The transition from idle to full power is exceptional. However the Taurus is MUCH, MUCH smoother at idle and does not try to twist the firewall off of the plane. I think this has a lot to do with the rear bearing in the Taurus that the Brison and DA do not have. It also may have to do with the large bell mount of the Taurus as opposed to the long standoffs on the DA. Price of the Taurus and DA are close with the Brison being a bit less. I had to wait 5 weeks for the DA--but hey- I had to wait 6 weeks for my Taurus-- you can get a Brison anytime. Bottom line is that it is all a matter of choice and preferances. At this point if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have gotten one of Ralphs Cunningham's G62s--Still (in my mind at least) the best bang for the buck. My first impression??? I don't think I will be selling the DA anytime soon.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:26 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fired up my DA 50 yesterday. First impressions

I have the same impression of mine, I haven't started mine yet because it is not even on the plane but I sit it on the fireplace mantle and make noises.. I love mine, even if I have to just stare at it right now.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

IF THOSE ARE YOUR FIRST IMPRESSIONS Then (stupid caps lock, sorry) your going to be amazed when the DA~50 FULLY breaks in. In a couple of gallons richen up your bottom end a wee bit (1/8 to start) and you'll notice your idle smooth out, and at 5 gallons when you go to 100 to one Amsoil again, it will get seem like a different engine. Did you balance your prop?
I have seen the DA 50 smooooth as silk on idle when broken in, and My Brison (5 gallons) 3.2 runs better than my DA right now....not for long mind you, but much better throttle response.
This I attribute to more time needed to break in the DA.....obviously.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:40 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I'm lovin mine and got into the 2nd gallon of break in gas today. now that I mounted one I can easily do it again. The power is incredible and if it gets better than all I can say is wow. I found that I need to ballance my prop.

Joe !~)
Old 03-05-2004, 07:42 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, how many flights are on yours now?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 PM
AJF--2

Old 03-06-2004, 03:52 PM
AJF--2

Second run today is a bit better-- 7100 RPM with a Mejslic 22/10. It seems to like (and vibrate less) with the 22/10 than with the 23/10.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:09 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

ajf-2
what rpm where you getting with the 23x10.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
AJF--2

Around 6300 with the 23/10-- but I could not keep the plane from walking at the lowest RPM-- so I switched props. The 22/10 also walks but not as bad.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
PlaneKrazee

To stop your plane from rolling away try little pieces of silicone fuel tubing on the axles to apply pressure to the wheel hub.
Or when you say walking do you mean rocking at idle?
Old 03-23-2004, 09:28 AM
AJF--2

Engine continues to get better with each run-It is getting smoother and continues to impress- With the 22/10 the walking is not nearly as bad. Thanks for the suggestion, but the wheel pants are a pain to get off. I think I will live with it for a while and may try it in the future.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:35 AM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

dude ive been in this hobbie 15 years too and i still forget to ( insert forgetable item here like balancing a prop) it happens to the best of us
Old 03-24-2004, 07:38 AM
AJF--2

Not really sure why I sounded so ticked off when I posted the thing about the prop being balanced-- must have caught me at a bad time. [:-] Hope I did not offend anybody.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:27 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never balance - does that make me a bad man???
FWIW - don't the Mejlik props all come balanced? That's all I seem to use lately...
RickP
Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 AM
jongurley

If I pay 40-50 dollars for a Mejlik22x10 prop I hope it is balanced. I haven't even checked the one I've got.[8D]
Old 03-24-2004, 04:51 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better check it because the mezjliks that I have used didn't come balanced.

Mike
Old 03-24-2004, 05:11 PM
GeraldRosebery

ORIGINAL: AJF--2

Well, I have read about these engines for a long time. Thursday I got a chance to see for my self. First I really hate the rear carb and the pain of using another servo for the choke. But I really dislike the standoffs. When I started it you could tell that it was torquing something fierce. You could see it twisting against the firewall. I was using a Mejslic 23/10 at the time. Power was superb! -- Swinging that beast at 6300 RPM! Needles were good right out of the box and let me just say this engine is a work of art. How does it stack up to the rest of the engines I have owned over the years-- I have owned a few.
It gets the edge over my Taurus 3.2 and Brison 3.2 in power. I believe the rear induction is the reason for that. The DA is lighter by a bit. There is a lot less mass with the DA. The transition from idle to full power is exceptional. However the Taurus is MUCH, MUCH smoother at idle and does not try to twist the firewall off of the plane. I think this has a lot to do with the rear bearing in the Taurus that the Brison and DA do not have. It also may have to do with the large bell mount of the Taurus as opposed to the long standoffs on the DA. Price of the Taurus and DA are close with the Brison being a bit less. I had to wait 5 weeks for the DA--but hey- I had to wait 6 weeks for my Taurus-- you can get a Brison anytime. Bottom line is that it is all a matter of choice and preferances. At this point if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have gotten one of Ralphs Cunningham's G62s--Still (in my mind at least) the best bang for the buck. My first impression??? I don't think I will be selling the DA anytime soon.
You make some good points - I got my DA yesterday. I look forward to firing it up. You have to expect a torque effect with those standoffs, but they have proven effective. I have not read of any failures. The rear carbs are trickier to hook up, I admit ,but work better overall as they breathe in quieter air. At least DA sets up the throttle linkage for you. All they have to do now is do the same with the choke and they will be there!

The big bell mount of the Taurus is relatively heavy and makes the engine difficult to mount on a smaller firewall. The side mount carbs really need a velocity stack to work properly in my opinion. Vibration is often a function of mixture in a new engine. You should not make a final opinion of overall smoothness until the engine is run in and leaned. Most threads about the DA do not complain of vibration.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:10 PM
AJF--2

The big bell mount of the Taurus is relatively heavy and makes the engine difficult to mount on a smaller firewall. The side mount carbs really need a velocity stack to work properly in my opinion. Vibration is often a function of mixture in a new engine. You should not make a final opinion of overall smoothness until the engine is run in and leaned. Most threads about the DA do not complain of vibration.
The Taurus was smooth right out of the box. The DA is getting better with each and every run. It is definately going to be a keeper-- AND THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING the way I buy and sell. It is funny that you mention the bell mount being a pain. That is sooo true. With the Taurus on my GP Pitts and then the PW Extra and the Aeroworks Edge--the Taurus was a pain to install. Then I get this DA to install in my Miles Reed Extra and it has a flat firewall that would have been perfect for the Taurus-- and it is a pain for the DA. Seems like I am using the wrong engine for the wrong planes
Old 03-25-2004, 12:54 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[X(]What[X(]
Isn't that the entire purpose of a Carbon Fiber prop? It is supposed to be hollow for light weight and they just inject some epoxy in the light side to balance it. Look closely you will see the filled in hole on back side of the prop. $80.00 for a prop - I better be paying for something!!!
RickP
Old 03-25-2004, 01:24 PM
jongurley

Amen RickP, I got curious last night and put the Mejlik on my robart balancer and it was perfect, now whether I got lucky or not I would think paying 45-60 for a prop the company could at least balance it for me, so anyway it was ok..
Old 03-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Mike Bogh

I checked both my Mezjliks on the balancer when I got them...both were spot on.
I probrably won't in the future tho, unless I have nothing better to do.

Heck, that would cut into my online time...
Old 03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: jongurley

If I pay 40-50 dollars for a Mejlik22x10 prop I hope it is balanced. I haven't even checked the one I've got.[8D]

I'll bet ya a hot dog and a Coke at the next IMAC that it is not balanced[8D]. If you put that in a good balancer you'll be surprised. I have YET to find a prebalanced prop that is actually "prebalanced". I've checked Mejzelik, 3W, Menz, Fuchs, Bambula. Not one was balanced.

It's also a good idea to balance the hub also on larger props.

.........Mark
Old 03-25-2004, 01:58 PM
jongurley

That it DA has so much Torque it will sling the excess weight off,,, oh yeh OnTheEdge you oh me a Hotdog alltheway and a DIET Coke...
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 PM
wirligig
My Feedback: (3)

THE CHOKE IS AN EASY FIX SO THAT YOU HAVE A BOTTOM ACCESS.SIMPLE PUSH ON PULL OFF . CAN SEND DRAWINGS IF YOU NEED.

JAY
Old 03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
excaliber

In defense of the Taurus I have to say The bell mount was designed to distrubute the load over a greater area. The fact they still use the rear bearing will alow a wide variety of thick heavy props without tearing up the ineards. And I don't have to bore out a firewall.
I have also seen and run the NEW design of the 52 for 05.No increase in weight but more power. This I understand is incorporated in all their new engines.
I'll keep my Taurus's. Very user friendly and now have most in stock.