Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

ZDZ 80 Boxer Twin...H-9 33% Cap Good Choice?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 80 Boxer Twin...H-9 33% Cap Good Choice?

Old 03-31-2004, 03:08 PM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 Boxer Twin...H-9 33% Cap Good Choice?

Hi Guys, just looking for a few opinions.... I found what i believe was an awesome deal on a NIB zdz 80 twin boxer for $650 shipped to my door. (this was from a previous owner so no i can't say there is someone selling them for this price) I was going to throw this in either my H-9 33% Cap 232 or my H-9 33% Sukhoi. Is this a good choice for these airframes?( i think so, however i wanted to hear a few opinions.) My original plan was to put a D/A 100 up front, however a figured i am going to save it for my next winter project being a Composite ARF extra. (i felt it was a better match and a more deserving airframe) So how did i do??? At that price it is definately the way to go right? ZDZ 80 single NEW from Cheif w/ shipping is $650 from R/C showcase the single is $620 + shipping. I got the twin shipped and BRAND NEW for $650. The twin new from r/c showcase is like $845 new plus shipping. Now my point of all this is how should the twin perform 3-d with these airframes? i expect very well. Verticle unlimited? It only made sence to go this way as i have invested almost $1300 in the D/A 100 and have half the cost in this engine, it's a no brainer right? This will be my first ZDZ so this is why i am asking. I just want to be sure it will deliver all the potential these airframes offer in 3-d mode. I think i made a good choice. What do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:29 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: ZDZ 80 Boxer Twin...H-9 33% Cap Good Choice?

The reason that it is cheaper is it is not as powerful as the single. If you just want a twin go for it. If it's power your wanting spent the extra $ and get a single. I have an 80 sgl on a H-9 330s, LOVE IT !!!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:05 PM
3-D Flyer

I think you are confused.... The zdz 80 twin is $850 + shipping new from rc showcase!
Are you saying if they took off $230 off the price of the twin you would still use the single????
Old 03-31-2004, 05:11 PM
rmh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "New" twin--- may be current or maybe earlier version - different carbs /ignition.
Some guys keep an engine for years - new in box then sell as NEW.
It may not be current setup.and being an 80 may be over warrenty period by years!!
twins are good engines and the 80 twin is lighter than the single 80.
The BUT is BUT the 80 single is easier to install - easier to setup -mufflers etc., and more power.
I have owned the 80 twin - and it was a very smooth engine - just not quite as much poop as the single .
Old 03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
3-D Flyer

Yes, that is what i have heard... however is it really that much of a difference in power??? This engine was purchaced NIB last July from R/c showcase, he is giving me the original sales reciept for warranty. So if i am not mistaken that leaves a little over 2 years on the warranty. As far as mounting goes... Chief sells the H-9 standoff mounts for the H-9 33% planes so mounting could not be much easier than that! All that said does it seem i made the right choice?? I mean come on! $650 for a $850 engine??? Plus the smoothness and cool sound as a twin? Will i notice a big difference in power? I mean will i be dissapointed with this combo? Guys running the Boxers seem pretty happy with them, a couple if i recall, even could not notice any difference in power between the twin and single. Like i said this is my first twin and also my first zdz so i have no personal experience, just he said she said. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:22 PM
rmh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put some good exhaust cans -or free breathing incowl mufflers - you will likely be happy with the results - do NOT over prop - for 3D- try a 25x10 -something which turns easily in mid 6000 range -on the ground.
do not load the engine down for 3D- this simply will overheat and easily wreck it-any twin
twins are harder to properly cool-so just keep it a trifle rich and let it spin easily .
Old 03-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

My buddy had the twin using B&B in-cowl mufflers. It would spin a Mejzlik 26x10 @ 6600 rpm. We were surprised by the power since everyone says it is less power than the single. His was pretty close in power to the single (of which we've seen and run plenty). The ZDZ twin made a little more power than his 3W-80 twin on the exact same prop.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:26 PM
3-D Flyer

Sounds good, that is what i have been reading... so what do you think? Did i stumble on apretty good deal with this twin? What i mean is if r/c showcase offered you the twin for $650 shipped would you take it over the $620 plus shipping single for these planes???? Keeping in mind the twin runs $845 from RC showcase plus shipping! (by the way, i did not get this deal from R/c showcase i got it from a guy that bought it full price from RCS and re-sold it to me NIB)
Did your Buddy like the twin better? also did it run smoother as the twins are suposed too? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:01 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

I have both engines I run both on canisters, the twin is 200 RPM less than the single on just about any prop you try. I have also found the twin to be a lot smother. The 80 twin on canisters runs about the same as the single on mufflers, I think you got a good deal try to install KS cans and you will be a very happy camper. Just my .02
Old 04-01-2004, 08:06 AM
3-D Flyer

R/C showcase sells the stock Cannister mufflers for this twin.....$150 for the pair, that should give me the same type of results, would'nt you say??? I will probably go that route. So, with your last .02 that seems to mean these ships will be awesome with this engine for 3-d! Slightly less weight, Just about the same power, and smoother running! Not to mention that twin sound. I am also hoping it will cut down a little vibration stress on the airframe, all in all it seems this is the way to go. How is the verticle performance with this engine and this size bird? Any one out there using this combo by the way? I would love to hear about it!!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM
locoworks

as it happens that is what i have. but i have only flown it twice as i can't start it without an electric starter. ( which i don't own ) i have the bing carb. although the twin is listed as the same weight as the single? needing 2 cans does make it a heavier overall. compare the weights of the relative krumsheid cans. i have some poor quicktime video of said aircraft took with a stills camera that has video facility that if i can suss how to post i will. it did seem to have enough poop though. no. i tried but the files are too big and i don't have web space at my disposal. if anyone wants to post them i can email them to someone?? PM me.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:50 AM
3-D Flyer

[X(] Ouch! A Starter??? I sure hope i will not have to go that route! Never saw anyone have that problem with their twins, anyone else have that sort of problem?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:40 PM
locoworks

i'm sure i have the carb wrong as it will run with the choke closed. but until i can get things about right i can't start it without. the funny thing is once its running it is fine, ticks over good and opens up clean.