Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

smoke systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:33 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smoke systems

I have a Brison 4.2. What are some of the best smoke systems and smoke fluid. I here that the B&B smoke pumps are pretty good. What about the fluid...
Old 07-07-2002, 04:11 AM
jjkplace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke systems

I'm running the TME pump, simple hookup and works perfect with no tapping of the crankcase. the best smoke oil i have found is super-dri brand. there web site is www.mdw-aviation.com, check em out.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:53 PM
klbass
My Feedback: (7)

Default smoke systems

Same here, I am running a TME with Superdri on my 3w-100/Cap 232. You cant beat the amount of smoke it pours out! The TME is great because all it needs is a spare receiver channel and a battery. No need for a extra servo, on-off valve, or pressure tap on your crankcase. Just a receiver channel. You'll need a 600 mah 4.8v battery to run it. The super-dri oil is the same used by many full scale aerobatic pilots. Its kind of expensive (12.00/gal I believe) but the best part is that it burns dry! No sloppy mess to clean up off your plane. It does leave a slight, and I mean very slight, residue, that will clean off with windex in one wipe. Try www.rcaccessory.com to pick up the pump. You'll want to get the whole kit (includes tubing, flow adjusting valve, fuel-T for twin muffler arrangements). I believe it sells for 70.00
Old 07-07-2002, 10:52 PM
SKYBLAZER1

Default TME vs. B&B

I have used both. Yes the TME does put forth very much smoke but watch out that you dont drown the spark plug and have to dead stick her in!
The B&B however only pumps when the ENGINE tells it to meaning that if you are pumping a continuos flow of smoke oil using a TME pump and you decide to throttle down to idle keep in mind that your plug will get wet and kill the engine...a B&B pump since it acts on pos/neg crank pressure fluxuates the amount of smoke oil being pumped into the muffler, hence while at idle very little smoke oil is being pumped but when at full throttle gobs and gobs are being pumped.
I recommend that if you are using one of the larger gas engines go with the TME. But if its a small gasser (25-60 cc) I would use the B&B.
Another small detail:
Try to use a muffler that has ample expansion area. In other words, if you use a TME pump dont use a B&B (benett) smoke generating mufler...doesnt work very good, oh it smokes allright, just dies at idle when you forget to kill the pump.
The B&B muffler works well with the B&B pump.
A TME pump works better with large expansion area mufflers
Good luck
Old 07-08-2002, 02:51 AM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

Default smoke systems

How does the Megasmoke pump (sold by RC Showcase and others) compare to the TME or B&B?