Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

APC IMAC Wide blade Props for 2.4/3.2 engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

APC IMAC Wide blade Props for 2.4/3.2 engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Flip and Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APC IMAC Wide blade Props for 2.4/3.2 engines

I was looking for a good 3D prop for my Brison 2.4 and noticed that APC is making one piece wide blade props in 2.4 and 3.2 engine requirements. they have a 20-8W, 20-10W, 22-10W and others. See http://www.apcprop.com/cgi-bin/store...c=6a&product=+

Has anyone ever tried these props. I am looking for a prop that will help my 2.4 to pull out of a hover with a little more authority than it has. Currently using a Master airscrew 20-8 scimitar, not a bad prop! My 2.4 is turning 7500 rpm with this prop. Just would like to get a little more pullout speed.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Y N C

Default RE: APC IMAC Wide blade Props for 2.4/3.2 engines

I would not use a APC that is 20 inchs or more on a gas, i have seen one broke in the air tear the firewall right off and damage the motor when it hit the ground. I have been running the Menzs 22x8 on my Brison 3.2 and it pulls my 17.5lb BME Edge out of the hover pretty good. I also think the wood prop are little easier on the crank if you have a prop strike than the carbon props.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Flip and Fly

Thanks for the reply Y N C.

I have heard of issues with the larger props. I think APC have done further development on their larger props, and I was thinking of trying one because they are very efficient props. I have my 2.4 in a very modified Midwest Extra, 14lbs flying weight. The 2.4 pulls it very well I just may try a menzs 20-8s and see what that does for it! My plane can be seen here:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AYs2LZw3Zt4

Prop strikes could be damaging with a Menzs prop too, they are very thick, and stiff. Any way I fly of grass, a little more forgiving!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am an APC fan and would not use one over 20/21 inches.
APC propellers will develop micro fractures over time.
If one of these gets bad enough, the propeller can and will come apart.
I als will agree that it is the most effecient propeller I have ever used.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Flip and Fly

Thanks Geistware,

The APCs are very efficient and the 20-8 wide would be interesting to try. I agree with you about these prop having fracture issues, then again the giant scale air racers use them almost exclusively without much issue. I think?

I will go ahead and try one, but keep a close eye on its use, and care!

I know that you have lots of experience with the 2.4. What would you consider as the best prop for shear pulling power from a hover! I was also considering a Beila 20-8 as I am using a 26-10 on my ZDZ 80 and like it very much. However a lighter prop will spool up faster, and give more instant pullout when hovering, or so I hear.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:30 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DP EDGE witha ZDZ 40. My orginal prop was the APC 20-8W, Plane flew decent, speed was great, vertical was good, hover Ok. but it did not give a lot of low -mid speed thrust, you could tell the thust was lacking trying to do harrier rolls and slow knife edge, it just wouldn't lift the nose well, Next tried a 20-10 mezjlick, speed was fantastic, vertical was unlimited but it did not like to hover or like pulling out of slow manuevers (harriers ans elevators), get the engine spinning up though in a straight line and the performance was great for high speed aerobatics. Next was a 20-8 3W ( which is claimed to be close to the MENZ props) Plane is slower in a straight line, but the hover is how it should be, pull out is good--not fast--but a good steady pullout as high as you want, slow kife edge is stable, harriers are better and this is the only prop i have tried that let mes do rolling harriers without the nose trying to drop off.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Flip and Fly

Thanks zonker,

Now that makes sense to me. A wide blade will pull harder at lower air speeds. I am finding with the scimitar master airscrew I have very good vertical, and high speed pull but it's lacking in low speed pull! I can hover with it (when I get it right) however the pull out was very slow.

I was thinking the APC being a wide blade would work good, but now I think I will go with a Menz s or biela 20-8. I am trying to learn how to do rolling harriers, and the like. Also do a lot of knife edge, etc.

I was also considering the mezjlick but its not such a wide blade prop is it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Try the MenzS, you won't be disappointed. I've flown a Mejzlik 22 x 10 for years on a G-62, and most recently on a DA-50/Wild Hare 28% Edge combo. Zonker is correct in his observations with the Mejzlik. I couldn't believe how much more the MenzS 22 x 10 pulls at lower rpm's as compared to the Mejzlik. I just got a 23 x 8 Bolly wood prop to try out. They are very similar to the MenzS in appearance.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Flip and Fly

Let us know how the Bolly works. Could be a good one too. Might try a 21-8 on my 2.4. Its a strong little motor!

"Mejzlik" thats it, Ive seen this spelt many ways, Ha!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I don't do 3D so I can't tell you the best 3D propeller. What I will say that a 20x8 Mejzlik has great pulling power.
ORIGINAL: Flip and Fly

Thanks Geistware,

The APCs are very efficient and the 20-8 wide would be interesting to try. I agree with you about these prop having fracture issues, then again the giant scale air racers use them almost exclusively without much issue. I think?

I will go ahead and try one, but keep a close eye on its use, and care!

I know that you have lots of experience with the 2.4. What would you consider as the best prop for shear pulling power from a hover! I was also considering a Beila 20-8 as I am using a 26-10 on my ZDZ 80 and like it very much. However a lighter prop will spool up faster, and give more instant pullout when hovering, or so I hear.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:01 AM
F1race79
My Feedback: (6)

I am flying a NX 21-8 on a ZDZ 40 and it really works well.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Flip and Fly

I always liked the looks of the Mejzlik props, carbon fiber is to cool, and would match my gear! they also make a 21-8 prop.

A NX 21-8 is somthing like a Menz , right. I have a ZDZ 80 and the midrange torque on that engine is great! I would think the ZDZ 40 has the same characteristics. Is yours piped or using a in-cowl muffler F1 Racer? What RPMs are you getting with that.

The Brison 2.4 is a good engine and pulls hard, I just was not sure of its midrange power. To realy find out I need to put a wide blade prop on. With the Master airscrew scimitar 20-8 I am turning 7500 to 7600, I was impressed considering I am using a in-cowel muffler! The engine is still new and getting stronger yet.

I just looked out my window and its snowing, ugh! Back to my simulator..........