Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3W-60 carburetor mounting block has had a grove ground on one side?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W-60 carburetor mounting block has had a grove ground on one side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:12 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W-60 carburetor mounting block has had a grove ground on one side?

I have a new to me 3W-60 rear carburetor motor that I bought here on RCU. The motor runs fine except that I could not get it to prime by using the choke, I had to take out the spark plug and shoot gas down the hole to get it started.

I found out that the reeds were splintered on the ends. Thats an easy one, they need replacing.

But what has me puzzled is the carburetor mounting block has had a channel grove ground on one side to allow for additional air passage. The grind is on the same side as the small air hole that goes into the carburetor. By looking at this dremel job my best guess is that even with new reeds I would still not be able to get a good enough seal to prime the motor.

Has anyone seen this before?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Antique

Default RE: 3W-60 carburetor mounting block has had a grove ground on one side?

The groove is for the pulse from the crankcase to operate the pump..there is a small hole in the carb base and a matching hole in the carb base gasket..
The pulse comes from the crankcase through the hole in the carb insulator block, then around the groove to match up with the hole in the gasket, and into the carb body...If it's put on wrong you will never get fuel to the carb, the pump won't work....
You can take the block off and lap it on some fine sandpaper to make the surface flush...[8D]
Old 11-28-2004, 07:43 AM
tonyc

That would make sence. It looked funny because it didn't look like it was molded into the caubureator mounting block, but rather like it was ground in with a dremel tool. I need to get a new reed for this motor but I am tempted to just send it to someone who does this as a business and can look at it and do it right. Except for the first start the motor runs great.

Can you suggest a motor guru? I have heard that Chief and Aircraftinternational both service these motors. Would you know if one is better over the other, or perhaps another direction?
Old 11-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Send it to Ralph Cunningham - RCignition...the fellow who answered the question above.
If the motor is still under warranty, you can send it to Cactus Aviation or Aircraft International.