BME 110 Woes continue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 PM
tflame
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BME 110 Woes continue

Hello Guys
We continue to have problems with the BME 110 engine. We can now enrichen the mixture with the high speed needle after drilling the passage to .059. The problem it has is that on a vertical climb it starts to sag and loses power. we have tried flying the airplane with a very rich setting but that has not helped. the plane is a Hangar 9 extra 330 weighting 30 pounds. we are using a 27 x 10 menz prop.
We have tried setting the engine on the ground at the point where we can see a brownish color on the plugs and then fly the airplane. It flys with good power but don`t try to hover or do a torque roll because you can hear it lose power.
The gas tank on the plane is placed at the center of gravity but this engine has a fuel pump and it should be able to provide fuel when the airplane is vertical.
The airplane cowling has all the ducting to force the air around the cylinders per BME instructions. has anybody had this problem before with a BME 110? All help will be appreciated.

Juan
Old 06-13-2005, 09:03 PM
JPrc
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 110 Woes continue

Have you checked to make sure your clunk is not sucking against the back of the tank?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:14 PM
RTK

tflame- I posted this after your last post that you posted concerning this very problem. HAVE you tried it yet? DO you have enough exit area for all that hot expanded air to leave thru? Try 4 to 1.

ORIGINAL: RTK

Tflame-
After I made my last post I e-mailed Keith asking about this and how mine is somewhat similar but not to this extent. I still can make it rich, just not the usual slobbering rich if I crank out the needle.

Within a matter of hours he replied and has another approach that will work also. He asked me to pass along this information.

The best cure is to raise the fulcrum arm that opens the needle about 1/32 of an inch. This will let the carb pump more fuel and get slobbering rich at about 2.5 turns out. Please share this information with anyone you know with a 110.

Thank you
Keith
BME
The one thing I can guarantee, if you keep trying to set the needles on the ground at WOT to get a brownish color on the plug you gona COOK ANY engine.

ORIGINAL: tflame

we have tried setting the engine on the ground at the point where we can see a brownish color on the plugs and then fly the airplane.

Juan
I have not flown my plane much at all, but it has not been anything like yours. I will admit it is hard to get the engine slobbering rich on the high end , but I am going to try Keith's method the next time I run it. I still can peak my engine and back it off a couple of hundred no problem, it is just that I like to be able to make it WAY rich then back it down. It makes me feel better knowing that, but it serves no purpose in reality.

Ralph
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Put a nipple on your diaphram cover and run a fuel line from it to the inside of the fuselage.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:06 AM
RTK

Also make sure there is no crap inside the carb blocking the screen or any passages.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: tflame

the plane is a Hangar 9 extra 330 weighting 30 pounds

I have to ask... how did you ever get that plane to weigh that much ?? I have built two H9 33%ers both just at 20 pounds with a ZDZ 80. The BME 110 is about the same weight as the ZDZ maybe even a hair lighter. That plane should not weigh any more than 22- 23 pounds with that engine. Do you have onboard camera gear, smoke, your CAT ??

DP
Old 06-14-2005, 09:21 PM
tflame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Guys
Thanks for helping. since Benny is going to an Aircraft mechanics School we will be working on the plane on weekends. About the weight I`m going by what benny told me.I have to say that the plane has a smoke system plus redundant battery back up system also. The Cowling is ducted to provide the best cooling per BME instructions and has an ample cut out at the bottom to exit hot air from engine compartment.
The venting of the diaphram inside the fuse has been done. The carb has been taken apart inspected the screen and found it to be clean.
I have not tried to raise the fulcrum the 1/32 but will be trying that next and making sure the clunk is not so close to be sucking the back off the tank. I will also check Fuel and Vent lines and brass tubing in the tank looking for restrictions. thanks again.
Juan
Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 PM
RTK

Keep us posted, I am interested in what solution does the trick.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 AM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

Only thing i recommend is sell the bme.
Dont want one and will not do business with bme again
Check your six
Old 06-22-2005, 09:04 AM
RTK

hobdean-What will you sell me yours for?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 PM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

I dont have it right now and dont plan on getting it back.
BME has it.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although you may have what is believed to be adaquate hot air exit area at the bottom of the cowl, you may not have proper ducting of flow through the engine. QWuite often a plenum will be needed to direct the flow through the engine in addition to any baffles that had been added. Baffles are sometimes, by themselves, not enough to properly direct the airflow, especially if the engine heads are located in a position that not in a diect kline with the air inlets. Baffles only aim the air in the engines general direction.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:42 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I would sell it,,,,,[&o]