Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

best way to refuel/pump gas?

Old 08-24-2005, 07:22 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to refuel/pump gas?

I am looking for ideas for fueling up a gasser.

Maybe some fueling rig I can put together myself, from parts purchased locally.

What do you guys use to fuel up your gasser? If you have photos that would be great.

Thanks,

Wood
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: best way to refuel/pump gas?

You can just buy an electric or manual hand crank fuel pump made for gasoline.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Dr1Driver

I use a hand crank pump made by MPI. It works great. Delivers about 1/3-1/2 ounce per turn. I've also used an automotive electric gas pump. That works great too. One drawback, though. They often will only pump in one direction. You have to swap lines to drain the tank at the end of the day. A few companies, like Hobby Lobby, sell electric pumps expecially made for pumping gas in hobby use. These tend to be very expensive.

One caution...if you make your own pumping station, be sure all electrical connections, switches, and the power supply are made specifically for use in an explosive atmosphere. They must be sealed.

Also, keep a fire extinguisher handy when filling or draining the tank.

Dr.1
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

One of the coolest ways I've used, and I can't remember who told me about it, is a pressurized plastic gas can. It's very easy, safe(no electrical involved) and cheap. Take any plastic gas can, attach one of those simple ball pumps with a "T" handle, attaching a tube on the end that goes into one opening in the cap. Obviously this is a closed system. Attach a valve in the outlet so you can turn it on and off, and that's it. You just pump it a few times, it pressurizes the can, open the valve, and it fills very quickly. If you want to be trickly you can rig it so you can pressurize your fuel tank in your plane for draining. I don't have any pictures handy as I'm on a trip on my laptop, but I'll try to remember when I get home.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

set gas can on table and plane on ground, put two hoses on can one short and one long fuel line , hook up fuel line to plane and then blow into short line causing a siphon into plane.... you will be surprised just how fast it will fill tank........ no moving parts, to defuel plane set plane on table and can on ground hook long line to carb inlet hose and blow into vent with a short hose piece. all ya have to do is start the siphon then let gravity take over
Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressurized gas fillers give me the willies---
I suppose the fuel fill line never pops off the model ?
Having seen metal pressurized systems -plus the pressurized glow filler setups -used for gasoline- I guess these users feel that gasoline under pressure is no hazard.
These are not sealed steel tubing setups like the FI tank pump in cars -
We are putting gas into plastic lines (Tygon)-on systems where any fuel splash can be directly onto a hot exhaust system.
Using a high capacity hand pump and largest fuel ines - we can fill any tank in short order .
If a line fails or overflows stopping the hand crank -stops the flow of fuel
Gas puddles are hard to ignite but gasoline under high pressure in a fine stream (worse yet) a fine spray - is a real hazard.
More pressure = more hazard.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Pressurized gas fillers give me the willies---
I suppose the fuel fill line never pops off the model ?
Having seen metal pressurized systems -plus the pressurized glow filler setups -used for gasoline- I guess these users feel that gasoline under pressure is no hazard.
These are not sealed steel tubing setups like the FI tank pump in cars -
We are putting gas into plastic lines (Tygon)-on systems where any fuel splash can be directly onto a hot exhaust system.
Using a high capacity hand pump and largest fuel ines - we can fill any tank in short order .
If a line fails or overflows stopping the hand crank -stops the flow of fuel
Gas puddles are hard to ignite but gasoline under high pressure in a fine stream (worse yet) a fine spray - is a real hazard.
More pressure = more hazard.
Hi Dick,

It's very low pressure in the system I'm suggesting, and I'm assuming you're not walking away while it's filling. I always have my hand on the valve as with having your hand on the switch with an electrical setup, or your hand on the crank in a mechanical one, and if it gets full, or there's a problem, you flip it, and the flow stops.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using a red plastic gas jug and a hand crank MPI or H9 pump - plain and simple, works for me.
-ken
Old 08-26-2005, 12:53 AM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

An electric low-pressure automotive pump works great, and it doesn't blow the lines off. I don't drain the gas, so I don't care that it only goes in 1 direction. I found a gear-type pump from Napa that really works good, a lot better than the diaphram types.

Tom
Old 08-26-2005, 08:03 AM
bpryor

BTW, I mentioned the simple pressure system because it is simple, cheap and relatively safe. I didn't mention my favorite because from past threads about this subject people tend to freak out when you mention an electrical pump for gas...which brings me to the point of this post; my favorite system is using a Kavan electric pump ( don't know if you can get them anymore or not), electrical connections well insulated(sealed), with a Nimh battery pack(also sealed) and a SEALED two-way rocker switch, all attached to a 2 gallon plastic can. It's very similar to the $200 ABEL setup, but only cost me a quarter of that to make. It makes for a very compact, efficient system.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
BlueMax3
My Feedback: (1)

I have been using a plastic can with filter and hand pump from Jersey Modeller and am completely happy with it. I think it was around $40, but came completely assembled. It's a nice setup.

Travis