Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

It must have been MAHLE, or SACHS. They've made everything else.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot Kolbenschmidt, who made Sachs cylinders, and Gilardoni, who made Quadra cylinders...
If a Taurus 3.2 cylinder has 44ZN something cast into the base it's a 3.2 Sachs(now Makita) chainsaw cylinder..
Sachs model 111 or 115, 44mm bore, 34mm stroke....WT 76A carb..2 piece crank, the straight end where the clutch was has a 6202 bearing on it..This end has the crank pin ground on it , the whole thing plugs into the other end with the taper for the flywheel, it's ground smaller outside the bearing..If the 3.2 Sachs based engine manufacturers had put it between centers and ground a 5 degree taper on the straight end and threaded it, it would make for a crank less prone to bending...I KNOW, we did that with some 4.2 cranks that were smaller on the taper end....Any good tool grinder can do it...Relatively quickly...Cut off the smaller end flush with the bearing, do away with the rear seal..Less friction...
Sorry, I got carried away.. Been looking at 3.2s for years, no one ever did it that way...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Bob Laine

I'm learning more & more all the time. I do know that the Taurus engine has a one piece crankshaft w/three bearings. I don't really know where, are from who various part's for different Mfg's are made. I'm just a consumer and I don't worry about what parts came from where. I'll leave that up to peop[le like yourself. However, there are those in the industry that I value and trust their knowledge, one of which you are.
Ralph, do us a favor, and tell us your opinion about the "Taurus" engine. I know that whatever your comments might be, they will be honest, and based on fact, not conjector.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Bob, I hope you don't laugh at this but I never paid any attention to Taurus engines until I started reading through this thread. Where do they get their mufflers, the engines look pretty nice but the mufflers look like they were made up by Wart Welder Man. Maybe their beauty is in their function. Thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Antique

I have never seen a Taurus, so no comment..The pictures look great....2 Bearings on the front is good, if they're the same size maybe he makes a crank or maybe uses the straight end like in my post above..The crank can't be one piece unless it uses a split con rod....Only 1 piece crank in airplane engines is in the US 41 and old small Quadras....
I think if someone was to make an engine from scratch and get cylinders made to their specs, why would they copy the chainsaw sizes ?
The 3.2 and 4.2 look like Sachs, down to the carb inslulator...Looks stock, the 2 small pegs under the carb are on all 3.2 Sachs cylinders..
The 4.4 looks like a Husky, even the same carb insulator block..
Why not make carb insulator blocks to turn the carbs and not have to use a bell crank ?
I say they use chainsaw cylinders, maybe internally modified, maybe not..I guess changing the outside diameter counts as a modification
What difference does it make, seems like most of their customers are happy.
Many manufacturers mill or grind the numbers off the parts, like it makes any difference..
Old 10-06-2005, 04:03 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just check the cylinder on my 3.2 and it's marked zzn18 on one side and mahle on the other .

Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Antique

There is usually a number in front of the ZZN letters...Like 44ZN-----...
All the 3.2 cylinders her are 44ZN2 or 3...Maybe they changed the number system when they were bought by Makita...I did see one newer 3.2 cylinder with a different shape but didn't look at the numbers...[8D]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Bob Laine

Ralph, I stand corrected. Once again I repeated something someone told me without checking it out for myself, then some crafty old sage like you comes along and straightens me out. Thank You............The Taurus engine does have a 2 piece crank. But after looking at the drawing's of it on the Taurus web site, it's rasy too see they are different from most other engines. How, I don't know. Why I don't know. Nor can I tell you why the Taurus engine runs as well as it does. Heck, for that matter I don't even know why a tired old "G-62" with a 22/10 prop will out fly a Shiney new DA 50 W/a 22/10 prop. on a 30LB airplane. All I know is that "TAURUS engines, are equal of any (in it's class) and better than most. Again, thanks for giving the readers of this Thread, THE FACT'S
Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

From the Taurus website, here's a picture of the 107. Looks like different cylinders than the 3.2 single. Twin carbs sticking through the top of the cowl...must help it breathe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89540.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	335134  
Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Bob Laine

Diablo, The picture on the website is just an early picture. Not a picture of the final product. I was concerned about the two carbs myself. But I was informed by Bill that the 107 will have only one carb. I don't think I'd even consider the Taurus 107, if it had two carbs.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I would hope they go with one carb, two would be double trouble, a lot of people have a tough enough time with just one. Can you imagine the threads on trying to sync two? Although it might qualify for Springer then Dick.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I just received a Taurus TS52 and it has 44ZN 18W marked on one side & Mahle on the other side. Bill never led me to beieve the cly. was anything but a Sach, as a matter of fact I asked him to send me a diagram with the exhaust port dimensions so I could have a header made and he said "tell them to make one to fit a Sach 3.2."

I bought a Taurus for several reasons 1) - It was as light and as powerful as any.

2) - I like the idea of the rear crank bearing

3) - I did not want a rear carb.

4) - It came complete with a real nice wrap around muffler - nothing else to buy.

5) - I was treated veeeery well when I made inquires about the engine.

I'm happy no matter who makes the parts. I raced cars for a long time and most all engines had the same parts, it was who put them together that made the difference
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, sorry Ralph,

I messed up my typing it is 44zn18, I got the mahle part right

Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 09:40 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The twin carb setup is pretty much a dated setup -tho from a purely technical standpoint -it works and has some advantages.
In todays marketplace tho -I would consider it a liability.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:20 AM
T-one

Yup I have one of every Taurus engine made. If you guessed that I am from Taurus you're right. Before getting into anything here I would like to express our most SINCER THANKS to all the LOYAL TAURUS OWNERS who stuck with us through thick and thin and have helped
us get back on our feet bigger and better than ever.
Bob,Bill, AJF Michael Glenn and to all those people that have written such kind words about our product is humbling. Also a heck of lot more folks that I'm sure I am missing.And for missing those please eccept our apoligies.
These forums serve a purpose. And we will be looking in now and then. What we won't do is discuss the good or bad of any product regardless. Competition is great and improves the products. We will answer most questions not all. And we won't get into any "P"ing contests. I guess a good place to start is here.
First it seems as though there is great concern about where we get our cylinders.
The answer is they are manufactured by Mahle and have a Sachs/dolmer part number on them,(we don't grind stuff off carbs either)period.Mahle also makes the Husky cylinders and a number of other single and multi cylinders for engines. What we do after we get them is ??????. We also use C/H auto ignitons and have since making the first Taurus years ago.The history of Taurus should be more important than where parts come from. It is our hope we might be able to dispell some rumors and even offer some help from time to time. In the meantime Thanks to all out there for your kind words and support. WE'RE BACK.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Antique

I converted a few Horner 62cctwins...They came with 2 carbs..They would run on either one, but better on 2...The 289cc drone engines we use in the race planes have Stihl 090 cylinders with a carb on each one..Only problem with synchronizing is getting both to shut off to kill the engine, otherwise it doesn't make much difference if they're perfect, they both feed into the crankcase and the cylinders fire at the same time....

Old 10-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Antique

Old 10-07-2005, 12:50 AM
T-one

The Taurus twin pictured in a previous post was indeed a racing model. TS 107R. It has not been in production since we had our black cloud days. Whether we bring it back or not is questionable. Most modelers would not have the patience or expertise to utilize such an engine.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Bob Laine

YA'LL WATCH OUT,,,,,,, WE GOT DA MAIN MAN ON NWITH US NOW....Now we'll find out what's going on. WE ARE ABOUT TO SHIFT GEARS ON THISTHREAD ANYWAY SO STAY TUNED FOR MORE
Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Hey Bill, it's great to have you on the forums. It's going be very useful to have your expertise up here to help out Taurus owners(or potential ones, of course).

Welcome!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Bob Laine

T-1..........., (Bill O), Dave from RCuniverse will be getting in touch with you to see you'll be willing to be listed in the MFG's forums. I hope you accept because we need more BULL, and less BS On our "Threads". Welcome aboard.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
docsteve

Bob , I guess you talked me into throwing in my 2 -cents . I have assembled 3 planes now with the Taurus 3.2 and all have been a pleasure to fly with minimal issues. The only problem that I had was my fault (ignition servo too close to ignition module), and even then the motor didn't die and we were able to land. The bottom line is the full crank with 3 bearings supporting it make the engine very smooth. This versus a cantilevered crank like we have on our glow engines. I believe that extra rear bearing as well as carefully balancing the crank makes the difference. Another isue concerning the crank is the size of the shaft and the fact that it is hardened. Compare this to a G-62 which has made the repair shops a good living on straightening bent cranks. It really doesn't take much to bend a G-62 crank. In my opinion Taurus has taken the best parts available and combined them with their own precision machined parts to produce a marriage that is fairly priced , high quality, rugged ,dependable, user friendly and does what it is supposed to do very well which is to produce lots of power.Top this with a company that listens to it's customers and takes pride in what they send out the door and is quick to remedy any problem should it arise. Steve
Old 10-07-2005, 11:19 AM
T-one

Again thank you one and all. It is very much appreciated after a long dry spell.
But we (Taurus) is back. It is our mission to continue to provide the best service and products we can.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Antique

Crank bending 101...Can't let this one get by....ANY crank can be bent..I straighten bent cranks..I don't "make a living" doing so...The G62 crank does NOT bend any easier than any other...I have seen most all engine cranks out there, and the diameter of the crank in a Taurus is no larger than that in the G62..Most of the engines use the same size crank and 6202 bearings...The main factor in crank bending is the distance from the end of the hub to the bearing in the case...The engines with a very short crank extension don't bend as easily as engines such as the Fuji 50 and G38 with relatively long hubs..
A G62 and most other cranks measure about .590...
The Sachs 3.2 crank measures the same at the bearings but the mag side that all engine makers use is smaller...Combine that with the distance from the hub to the bearing and the leverage makes for easy bending..
The Taurus uses 2 bearings on the front, so the distance from the front bearing to the hub is much shorter, therefore harder to bend..3W and US Engines cranks are so hard they're brittle, but can be bent in a hard crash..
Only other single cylinder engines I know of that use 2 front bearings are the Zenoah G23/26 and the late Precision Eagle 4.2 TOC version of the Sachs..
Cantilever cranks by their very nature use 2 front bearings, with the hub just in front of the bearing...Harder to bend, but not impossible.
Twin cylinder engines are somewhat the same, but the hub on a twin is just in front of the bearing, harder to bend..
ANY crank CAN be bent...The crank in our 289cc race twins is ,787 diameter...When the plane hits the ground at 220+mph something has to give..Been there
Don't know about the Taurus crank, but if it's a stock Sachs it is either using the back straight end or two different size bearings on the front..It can be done, early Quadra 200cc twins had two different size bearings on BOTH ends of the crank...They have since changed to the same size...
ALL pressed together cranks can twist in the middle...A twisted crank in a two bearing engine will look just like it's bent, but the two ends are just out of concentricity..A twisted crank in a 3 bearing engine usually won't show up unless the crank is taken out and measured in a jig..
It WILL show up if the crank is in the case without the piston and cylinder...The crank will spring slightly back and forth when rotated..[8D]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Bob Laine

Docsteve, Your comments are very well taken because they'er based in fact and 1st hand knowledge. Regarding the G-62, I know the crankshaft's are weak on the Zenoah G-62. and are extremly easy to bend. But even taking that into consideration, I'm still a very loyal consumer for the Zenoah line of engines. The G-62 has to have a lot going for it to have survive afor as long as it has in this fast changing world of "Radio Control."
Since this Thread, has just about run i't course, and everything is beginning to be repetitive, (I sill have'nt seen 1 negative comment about the Taurus) I want to broaden the question to include all different engine's from other MFG's.
This includes, but is not limited too, ZENOAH, TAURUS, ZDZ, DA, BME, SACHS, FIRST PLACE, QUADRA, or, any other engine you can name and have had, real 1st hand knowledge of, based on your own personel experience with that particular engine. Please limit your comments to "GAS ENGINES" only.
The question now is, What is your most favorite engine, Why, What is you least favorite engine, Why, What are the major factor's you consider when purchasing a new engine, and finally, "How long have you been flying RC airplanes."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.