Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MVVS 58 versus DA-50

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Floater-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 58 versus DA-50

You know Dick you can tell those Lemmings a million times that the edge of the cliff is right there in front of them and they still just run right off! You have to just shrug your shoulders and move on!
Just funnin guys!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

Very hard to believe that the weight is the same....
Dick is correct. They're within an ounce of each other....and certainly from the RPM numbers running around, there is no way to say either engine has a distinct advantage in power. As has been beaten to death ad nauseam, there are many good options in this class, besides the one's already mentioned(DA, ZDZ, and MVVS 45), there are also the Taurus, BME and Brison. All weigh within a couple of ounces of each other, all have close to the same power, and all will work great in our 50cc applications. The only deal breaker for me between all of them is that DA has had major reliability issues in the last 2 years that may or may not be fixed.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Floater-RCU

Well said Bill!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bpryor

The only deal breaker for me between all of them is that DA has had major reliability issues in the last 2 years that may or may not be fixed.
And the deal breaker for me was watching my buddy trying to start his ZDZ 50 NG at the field. He used to get pretty tired. So I got a DA 50.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:20 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There were some hinky carbs -and they were a pain -but the problem was not an engine thing-it was entirely a carb problem.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:24 PM
jimmyjoe
My Feedback: (21)

Not being a smart butt, but if you give the ZDZ throttle they start right up. Also, if the engine is in any way lean on the low end troubles starting. Once the motor is tuned properly and just a little throttle one flip and your off to the races. Sorry your buddy gave up so soon, I think he would have really liked his ZDZ.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

The only deal breaker for me between all of them is that DA has had major reliability issues in the last 2 years that may or may not be fixed.
And the deal breaker for me was watching my buddy trying to start his ZDZ 50 NG at the field. He used to get pretty tired. So I got a DA 50.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:38 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost every problem I have had with any two stroke -- the carb--The exact same models may look perfect and one runs perfectly -the next is a problem child.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:03 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not being a smart butt at all, no worries. He didn't know how to fix the hard starting problem so he just kept priming and flipping and sooner or later it always started. He would just get tired. Also he didn't give up on it, he really liked the power and fast transition but it dead sticked on him and he rough/crash landed his Patty Waggstaff so he hasn't had it out since. I will mention the low end issue to him. The thing is that if it transitions so good, I can't see how the low end would be off. I was deciding on the ZDZ NG or the DA. My friend's experience and threads here about hard starting made me decide to go DA. I truly believe they have resolved their crank and carb issues. My brand new DA 50 started up on my test stand 4 times with absolutely no problems and ran great right out of the box. Like many have already said, all these light weight gassers are good engines and they all have their imperfections. Just take your choice and enjoy the flying.

ORIGINAL: jimmyjoe

Not being a smart butt, but if you give the ZDZ throttle they start right up. Also, if the engine is in any way lean on the low end troubles starting. Once the motor is tuned properly and just a little throttle one flip and your off to the races. Sorry your buddy gave up so soon, I think he would have really liked his ZDZ.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Old 10-31-2005, 11:22 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I would consider the MVVS but I'm not really considering the ZDZ. I've heard too many horror stories of 1 month delay in getting them serviced. Eventhough the DA may have to be serviced, I've heard turn around times of 10 days with the motor being nearly completely replaced internally except for the most susceptable "break-in" parts. Also, folks with ZDZ's at our field have a lot more trouble starting time and have seen fuel running out the back end down into the plane cranking away.

Also, I have purchased the plane now, and I have purchased the KMP Yak. Most folks building the plane are coming out with weights around 17-18lbs from what I can tell from my research. And, the new ads on Ebay are now claiming 18-19lbs.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

I would consider the MVVS but I'm not really considering the ZDZ. I've heard too many horror stories of 1 month delaying in getting them serviced. Eventhough the DA may have to be serviced, I've heard turn around times of 10 days with the motor being nearly completely replaced internally except for the most susceptable "break-in" parts.

Also, I have purchased the plane now, and I have purchased the KMP Yak. Most folks building the plane are coming out with weights around 17-18lbs from what I can tell from my research. And, the new ads on Ebay are now claiming 18-19lbs.
Hi 3d-aholic,

I think you already know I have the KMP Yak and a MVVS 45 with the weight at 17.25 lbs with one 2500 mah nimh receiver battery and no wheel pants.....but cross your fingers, there are people out there with 16lb versions with heavier engines. Although it would be great if you ended up with a light one, especially if you used the 45, but don't worry too much, they do fly great at 17lbs too.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I bought a DA-50 bevore I knew about the MVVS 58. Now if they lighten the 58 like they did the smaller engine....
Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I wish someone would make a 54 @ 3.1lbs.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Jimmyjoe,

In response to your first post in this thread; we have never flown each others airplanes. So how could we make a conclusion that the ZDZ out pulls the DA. The only conclusion I could make is that the ZDZ starts a lot harder than the DA. I am sure others at our field would attest to this fact. Please don't use me or my equipment to try to make your point. I am starting to see why that guy made a website devoted to you.

The Edge/DA owner