Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

prop position on hand start for zenoah (g26)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

prop position on hand start for zenoah (g26)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop position on hand start for zenoah (g26)

I'm a tad confused now on what is the best position. I'm about to finish setup my first gasser and want to mount the prop correctly.

The manual of my G26 said I need to ensure the rotor magnet rotate pass the magneto coil fast for it to generate power for the spark plug. The rotor have 3 magnets which are visible.

The only way to ensure the above happening is to position/tighten the prop blade (about 1-2pm) in such way that the rotor magnet is at the edge of the magneto coil. And with all my might I swing it counter clock wise. At this position, I'm not sure all the relation of TDC, BDC etc etc.

Is this is the best and least painful way short of electric starter?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:04 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: prop position on hand start for zenoah (g26)

I'm no expert on this subject for sure. But one thing I learned is you can't set your prop like on a two stroke. It feels wierd to have that space between where you start to turn the prop and when it starts to come up on compression. That's why folks who hand start them, more or less slap them. When my G26 is running right, it hand starts easy. I'm just lazy and prefer to use my starter. I marke my hub so that I know where to put the prop, seeing as you can't see it once the engine is mounted.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

If your engine is mounted inverted, turn the prop till it comes up on compression. I like my prop to be at the 11:00 or 12:00 position at this point. When starting, bring prop back to to 5:00, and with a good flip in like an upside down "J", whip the prop around staying as close as you can to the hub. This will generate the rpm needed to generate a spark. I've got a G23 on a Lazy Ace, no cowl, so I just use one finger next to the spinner and really whip it. Starts up no problem. If you're having problems getting it started, try taking the plug out and grounding it against the engine, and practice flipping it until you get a good spark every time. You can do this in a dark room and it makes it real easy to see the spark. Practice this to get your technique down. Also be sure to prime it good. I've never seen a Zenoah that didn't like to be wet when started.......
Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 PM
athos341
My Feedback: (33)

All my gas engines I mount the prop the same. I turn the engine over to compression, then mount the prop at 2 o'clock. This way as I flip my hand comes off the prop at 11 and not towards the ground either. My hand just travels straight across my body and out of the way of the prop. Of course with a question like this the answer will be what you are most comfortable doing. I will say though I only use a starter on 4 cycles and the only time I have been hurt in 28yrs is by forgetting to remove the flash(mold left overs) on an apc or master airscrew prop. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Magna

Come up or turn over to compression, I believe you mean as the piston compressing toward the spark plug? Is that what you all meant?

I did make a mark on the hub for prop location and I think I got the setup something like Athos341 did. The magnetic rotor about to reach the coil and the piston is begin to travel toward the spark plug (compression). I will swing them across sideway so my hand is out of the way of the prop. Oh! and with a motor cross gloves or something equivalent for protection.

The wet carb will be a good point to be aware of.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
jack1933
My Feedback: (2)

Hello all What about left handers?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jack1933

Hello all What about left handers?
I'm a lefty.

On an inverted engine--I put the prop at the 1 or 2 o'clock position when the magnets are about the 10 o'clock position. The magnets will be at the 8 or 9 o'clock position when the piston is coming up on compression and your hand will be coming through 11 o'clock.

I just use my right hand to flip it.

You get used to doing lots of things with your right hand. It's a right-handed world. Learn to flip it with your right hand. No different than using a power saw or driving a standard transmision car. Same as shooting a bolt-action rifle thats not been special ordered for you. Pull it up to your left shoulder and shoot. Then hold it steady with your left hand and work the bolt with your right hand for the next round.

You fly with your right hand on the elevator and your left hand on the throttle--don't you?

If you were REALLY only able to use your left hand--you'd have the throttle/rudder on the right and your elevator/ailerons on the left side of the TX.

Just learn and adapt.

Or buy an electronic ignition system. Prop position is almost a non-issue with those. Bolt it on and flip it. Putter-putter-putter.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Magna

I managed to flip start fairly easily on my g26 after getting all the input from RCU. I position the prop at 1-2 oclock with the magnet about to touch the coil. As I swing from 1-2 to 10 oclock position and my hand will get out of the way by 9oclock, the piston is already traveled up(compression) and it will cough and start. One or 2 more flip, it start right up! Easier with 18in prop than 16. Prolly the leverage.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:01 PM
jack1933
My Feedback: (2)

Gee whiz, Thanks for the lecture. Was only trying to give the one arm pilots a little help. There is a position of the prop that can be used by left handers. Am suprised you have not founf it. For your info im a right hand person. Have observed leftys flipping from the 7 oclock position. As far as the gun thing is concerned, one can buy either from any gun dealer. What does this have to do with the question anyway? Sorry if I offended You