Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME-55 Still on schedule?

Old 04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME-55 Still on schedule?

Heck, he has been doing this with the 55X for 3 yrs......
Old 04-28-2006, 08:23 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I think BME needs to lean on their crankshaft manufacturer....or maybe publish thier phone number so we can call them.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Guys...

If you want to build a plane for this summer... best be buying another 50cc engine... BME50, DA50, ZDZ 50 or other...

The "coming in April" on the website has been replaced with "coming soon". This engine won't be available for a few months.

Keith stated that the 115 will probably hit the market first, and there's not even a mention of it on their site yet. The reason being is that I THINK the 115 will use many of the same parts as the 110 (which he hasn't been shipping in qty either). Therefore he may already have some parts on hand. In fact I don't think the 115 is actually 115cc.. but rather a tweaked 110cc that procvides a couple more hndred RPM than the 110... using the same head/cylinders and crank but some other new designs in the crankcase. It also somehow lost another 2 oz...

Just being realistic, and with an educated guess... I'd say the 55's won't be available BEFORE August, and maybe not even then.

The 55 will be lengendary when it comes out (heck it's kind of a legend now) but just accept that it won't be a legend this year... it's a 2007 award winner. Meantime, we got some great airplanes that HAVE come to market, and some FINE 50cc options available. Build with what you can get now, have fun, don't get impatient... the day WILL come when the 55 is available in qty, and all this speculation will be passe'.

I wish Keith would just keep everything under his hat and surprise everyone and announce when stock it at shipping qty.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

Then we'll have a 2 pound 75 cc coming out, "soon."
Old 04-28-2006, 06:37 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I am a firm believer if you want to fly now, but what you can get now. It seems every single r/c related product never meets its expected release or arrival date.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:57 PM
3d-aholic

Anyone got any more updates on this???
I'm on the fence to giving up....and going ahead and getting a DA.
Now that the 110 is out, I would think the 55 would be up next.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the DA. You did not hear that from me because I would get a Taurus instead and have a stronger engine with a great mid range. If the weight diffrence is what it's all about then you have never experienced the gratuity of a heavier woman over a skinny one.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:48 PM
RTK

Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Bass1

Sometimes "Tons of Fun" is not all that bad![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-22-2006, 08:51 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Get the DA.
The power to weight ratio for the DA is already a lot less than I wanted. It can't be heavier than the DA and I wish the DA had a static thrust of 36Lbs.

So it sounds like the BME is still months or years away then right? I hate to buy a DA and see the BME out in a month or less. 3 months--thats fine.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Tired Old Man

If that's the case give it another 60 days. I'll stick my neck way out and say that if the 55 is going to come out at all it will be within that time frame. After that I'd go looking for another engine.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well maybe it's already in stock. Keith is just waiting for the Christmas season
Old 09-22-2006, 10:54 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

If that's the case give it another 60 days. I'll stick my neck way out and say that if the 55 is going to come out at all it will be within that time frame. After that I'd go looking for another engine.
I wish he would email me some breadcrumbs please.

I promise and swear on my most expensive plane I won't tell anyone or may all my planes crash.

I think I can get a DA50 right this second for $550ish...[8D]
Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Da also wishes their 50 had 36 lbs static thrust..
No 50cc engine in the world has that much...
Unless you use the ThrustHP chart for your numbers, like RCS does...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Da also wishes their 50 had 36 lbs static thrust..
No 50cc engine in the world has that much...
Unless you use the ThrustHP chart for your numbers, like RCS does...
Yeh I know...but the promised weight of the BME55 was going to lower my "desired" to say 31-32lbs static thrust.

I've already let several DA-50's fall through my hands at less than the retail price...but I'd be kicking myself if it turns out folks are starting to take delivery 30 days from now after all this waiting. Its about to get cold here and I see myself wanting to start building about end of October.
[]
Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

There's another recent change from BME's website... and that is the fact that Don's Hobbies have been removed as the "support".

One would think the 55 would have been an easy stretch fromthe 110... yet the "115" is first to be shipped (or sort of anyway)

Though it seems the 115 still uses the 55cc cylinder heads and gains it's 5cc worth of power not from displacement but other tweaks. So the 55 is still not a stretch from using these same heads...

If I recall... the BME55 has been announced, denounced, re-announced and now partial kindannounced.

The 55 could very well be the most profitable engine BME could release, and yet seems to be getting the least attention.

Could it be that the 110 had some issues that needed addressed? And thus the 115 that happens to use many of the same parts but with a new crankcase?

And that's why the 55 isn't available yet? Well whatever reason... it'll come if and when it does.

Til then value of enjoyment of yet another year fellas have postponed a 50cc project sure seems to high a price to pay.

DA50's carry a very high resale value... why not go ahead and buy one and fly it? It the 55 ever does come, you can get ine and sell your DA for $50 less than you paid for it... and that's a bargain there fellas... rent a DA50 for a season for $50...
Old 09-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Tired Old Man

Ya know, I've had just about enough of this crap where people are ticked off because they don't have what they want, or think they want.

Here's the deal, straight out. The 55 IS done. Period. But the manufacturer, BME, does not have a million advertising dollars to go out and throw away to get all the business. Added to that the manufacturers sole income is derived from the production of RC engines and he might want to protect it a little. Let's move on to manufacturer defects and returns, and their effects on business.

If you have a whole bunch of money you can afford to throw an untried and untested engine out on the open market and let the customers be your Beta testers. Then you can take all the broken or failing engines back and fix them for the customers while making changes in your manufacturing process and machining tolerances after obtaining that information from the returned, broken engines. You can also absorb the full cost of repairs and shipping for all those engines if you have the money. The foreign manufacturer of the engine cases and internal parts will not ever absorb 1 penny of the losses so it will be 100% on you. How much can you afford to spend to make your customers happy? More than you take in? I seriously doubt that.

Anyone really believe that DA has enjoyed any profit from the 50 yet? Foolish if you do, and any profit will be minimal if they have.

Now a smart and considerate manufacturer will test quite a few engines to destruction in the effort to assure himself and his customers that the engine is up to the high standards that you set for it and not have to make such heavy use of customer service. Customer service loses money, it does not make it, and I know of few businesses that are in it to lose money. Now that same manufacturer could come into an internet RC engine forum and do a bunch of talking, but in doing so he exposes himself to thousands of people and their questions that will eat up 101% of his time, and usually brings along with it some group of Yahoos that just have to expound on how much greater their engine is than the one he is making. The arguement usually goes something to the effect of "my so and so engine pulls a XX pound plane with "authority", no way can or will yours do it better" Define "authority" please, while providing a little of your history to establish the veracity of the claim. He can't argue his points because he may offend someone that is already offended anyway. Then there's the group that want all kinds of RPM, thrust, and torque numbers that even when provided can not be totally accurate because they were obtained under specific conditions that will not be specific to the customers application. Then there's the group that's mad because "their" engine isn't ready yet, laying in wait for the manufacturer to post a thread.

Send the man an e-mail and ask him, not the open ethernet. The engine may or may not be released, simply because it's working too good. Engines that work too good are something to have a concern or two about and require a little more observation before they are provided to people on the open market, some of which don't know the difference between a choke plate and an intake butterfly and really believe that there is such a thing as a factory setting that's good for all locations and airframes

30 plus pounds of thrust is not going to happen unless and until the engine is supercharged or has a lot more displacement than 55cc's.

I know this will make a lot of people mad and that a few more will want to argue the points noted above, but this is the way it is so choose to accept or not. It's up to the individual. Those that are offended by the truth will be the ones with a problem. I do not have any problems at all with delivering the truth.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
RTK

That pretty much sums it up
Old 09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

There can be no arguement, he is EXACTLY right on all counts...
Good job, Pat
Old 09-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

We're with you Keith... do it nice cause there ain't no twice. Good post Pat.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
zayzay1

as long as it eventually comes out!
Old 09-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Tired Old Man

Old 09-24-2006, 06:02 PM
xcellheli

I own a 110 and am happy with it. I have read Silversurfer's comments and they are correct. However, it is my opinion that Keith is not a very good buisnessman. He personally posted on this site giving appoximate release dates and leading people on. He started the preorder list not once, but twice. People absolutely have the right to be upset. One could only hope that the 55 will release one day. I however doubt it will happen. Too many orders for 115's will be the excuse.