Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli Boyz

Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brillelli Boyz

Just got back from a vacation in the northland. While in Duluth Minn the guys from Brillelli Engines stopped by to spend the day showing me thier latest engines and hanging out. After a good lunch we went to the Richard L. Bong Museum in Superior Wis. What a great looking P-38 !!
Scott Ellingson (pictured left) and Mark Brill (on right) are a couple of the most down to earth guys you'd ever meet. It was like seeing old friends for the first time.
Starting out as a conversion engine company , they now have full build RC gas engines and will be expanding the lineup more and more. My 25cc Toro conversion runs great and I'll be buying from them again soon.

Thanks for a great day near the big lake Scott and Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60051.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	481171  
Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Brillelli Boyz

Just unpacked my new 26SS at lunch, nice looking engine. I had to go put it on my calibrated postage scale (Ok it was last calibrated in 93, but still) - came to 2.65 lbs including the ignition, drive washer and bolt.

Google says that's 42.24 oz -- even lighter than the 2lb 11ounces that the website quotes.

Nice job guys!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Brillelli 25cc GT engine on a GP Giles 202 and just love the engine. I've talked with Scott on the phone before and through e-mails. One hell of a guy to deal with. He will do whatever it takes to help you if you have a problem. I'd almost beat that if I didn't live so far away he would have drove down here to give me a hand. Thats just the kind of guy he is. They are selling quality engines at a good price so everyone can enjoy the hobby and get into bigger planes just like I have. If you haven't done business with Brillelli yet, your in for a surprise. They are like no other company when it comes to customer service. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:05 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Hey, Scott and Mark...these pics suitable for framing???

I'd just ditto what Zippi says. I've never dealt with anyone who went so far to try to help me. And, by golly, I appreciate it!

By the way, I love my little 25GT...if you didn't see it and just heard it, you'd swear it was a much bigger engine.

Larry
Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 PM
adrenalnjunky

Nice touch on the 26SS - They've already added the pressure fitting to the carb plate so you can attach a line to it to snake back into the fuse.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Zippi

I know what you mean ljones5000. I've had a couple guys say "Is that a DA 50". But they all agree that it really sounds cool .
ORIGINAL: ljones5000

Hey, Scott and Mark...these pics suitable for framing???

I'd just ditto what Zippi says. I've never dealt with anyone who went so far to try to help me. And, by golly, I appreciate it!

By the way, I love my little 25GT...if you didn't see it and just heard it, you'd swear it was a much bigger engine.

Larry
Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Are the Brillelli Boyz good? Well, I just ordered my third Brillelli engine in as many months.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:32 PM
adrenalnjunky

If I can sell one of my RC trucks and a 40 size corsair, I'll probably be ordering a 40cc soon - the 26 is going into a CMP giles, and I think the 40 has Giant Super Sportster written all over it.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 PM
gwulle

I am glad to see this thread started. These guys deserve to have their own thread. I'm just sorry I didn't think of it first. I have a 25GT on a PT-17 and a 46ccEI on a Sig Sundancer and I am ordering another 46cc tomorrow for my Hanger 9 27% Extra 230. I had a Saito 220 on the Extra,but got tired of having to fool with the needle settings. These guys build quality engines and the service is even better. I will be a customer for a long time. Keep up the good work men!!

Gaines
Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 PM
eugene

I had contacted Scott concerning the 46 for my TFGS mustang.. He volunteered to build a custom muffler to help squeeze the engine in the cowl, but it was just too large for the cowl....When I told him I had a US41,but thought it may be low on power, He suggested I send it to him and he would do some testing..Although he was 19 engines behind on customers orders, he spent several days experimenting with carbs, and actually built a custom muffler for the 41, and squeezed every drop of rpm from the engine. My main point is....over the course of several weeks, he answered every Email promptly, even late Sun. evenings, and I was treated as a valuable customer, although I did not buy the engine from him..I believe the Brillelli team is skilled, honest, forthright, and markets products of the highest quality. Something I cannot say of all vendors in our sport...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Zippi

AMEN to that brother.
ORIGINAL: eugene

I had contacted Scott concerning the 46 for my TFGS mustang.. He volunteered to build a custom muffler to help squeeze the engine in the cowl, but it was just too large for the cowl....When I told him I had a US41,but thought it may be low on power, He suggested I send it to him and he would do some testing..Although he was 19 engines behind on customers orders, he spent several days experimenting with carbs, and actually built a custom muffler for the 41, and squeezed every drop of rpm from the engine. My main point is....over the course of several weeks, he answered every Email promptly, even late Sun. evenings, and I was treated as a valuable customer, although I did not buy the engine from him..I believe the Brillelli team is skilled, honest, forthright, and markets products of the highest quality. Something I cannot say of all vendors in our sport...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:25 PM
TIGITRIGHT

You gotta give some of that credit to Poulan (46cc)Brillelli did not make this engine.Nor do I like the manifold setup they use on it.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 PM
tnorris

Scott has been most helpful. He just sent me a new back plate with the fitting so that I can run the static line into the fuse. I have the 40cc GT on a Wild Hare 73" Edge 540 and LOVE it. Motor runs great, and even with a cheap Top Flite 20 X 8 prop, the plans verticle climb is only limited to my ability to still see it..

Thanks Scott, for a GREAT motor and even better customer service. Keep up the good work.

Travis
Old 06-24-2006, 06:23 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

tnorris, I bet that 40cc WILL tote that 73" Edge around. I have the same plane with a 25GT and it flys well with good vertical to a point, but not unlimited. That's ok with me though because I don't 3D anyway.

Larry
Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 AM
tnorris

ORIGINAL: ljones5000

tnorris, I bet that 40cc WILL tote that 73" Edge around. I have the same plane with a 25GT and it flys well with good vertical to a point, but not unlimited. That's ok with me though because I don't 3D anyway.

Larry
I was wondering how the 25GT would fly that plane. Thanks for the info. I will pass that info on to a few friends that were asking if a 25cc would fly the plane.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: tnorris

Scott has been most helpful. He just sent me a new back plate with the fitting so that I can run the static line into the fuse. I have the 40cc GT on a Wild Hare 73" Edge 540 and LOVE it. Motor runs great, and even with a cheap Top Flite 20 X 8 prop, the plans verticle climb is only limited to my ability to still see it..

Thanks Scott, for a GREAT motor and even better customer service. Keep up the good work.

Travis
I'm getting exactly the same combo... The Edge is here already, but waiting on the Brillelli 40. I have to agree with EVERYTHING everyone else has said on this thread. Scott believes in doing his best, and the quality of his workmanship outshines many others. I've had his 25GT, now the 40, and WILL have a 60 when he has it.

For the VALUE - you ain't gonna find a better QUALITY and Performing piece of machine work anyplace.

I'm expecting the 40 will jerk the Edge around pretty good...................
Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

I am thinking about getting the 46 for my new 25% GP Yak 54. It will probably come in around 16 lbs. This is my first big plane. Will this engine reliably hover it? Has anyone used this engine for 3D?

Aslo, should I get side or rear discharge? I am thinking rear but I am not familiar with mounting a gas engine.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

At 16 lbs 3D would be marginal. The 46 would do better on a 14lb plane or so. The side dump makes a little more power, but is louder. At that weight a 50cc may be better for good 3D. The 46 will hover a 14lb plane good and pull out, but 2 lbs more is a big difference.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:42 PM
tnorris

[/quote]

I'm getting exactly the same combo... The Edge is here already, but waiting on the Brillelli 40. I have to agree with EVERYTHING everyone else has said on this thread. Scott believes in doing his best, and the quality of his workmanship outshines many others. I've had his 25GT, now the 40, and WILL have a 60 when he has it.

For the VALUE - you ain't gonna find a better QUALITY and Performing piece of machine work anyplace.

I'm expecting the 40 will jerk the Edge around pretty good...................
[/quote]

I can promise you that you are going to love that combo. Be sure to post a pic when you get it completed.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:46 AM
jstanton

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This thread should have been started long ago. Scott and Mark at Brillelli are the best guys you will ever come across when it comes to customer service after the sell. I have had a couple of engines from other manufactures and when I had problems it was like I was on the moon or something when I needed help. Brillelli not only makes high quality engines they also have the best customer support I have ever seen. I had 2 Brillelli engines and they where both excellent running engines. I sold one of the engines over the weekend(the one on the Giles-202) to guy at the field who just had to have it. He did not want to wait for one to be built and delivered and he made me a offer I could not pass up. I have ordered a 40GT from Scott this morning for the Giles and I'll be back in the air in about a month.

Scott and Mark keep up this customer service and you'll have a customers like us for many years. I'll be getting the 54cc when it is ready.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:39 AM
water.boy

Zippi,

I'm guessing you like your GSP Giles 202. That's the same as the CMP model right? I really want one as it's a clean looking scheme to me. I've read horrible reviews of the smaller planes, and most say the bigger sizes are ok, but the covering is low quality. Did you do anything to your Giles, and how is it holding up? Thx.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Zippi

GSP, CMP or AK models are all the same plane. I really like my Giles 202 and the Brillelli 25cc engine. Jstanton is putting the 40cc on his and that should give it unlimited vertical. The way the horizontal stab is put on is not very good. I epoxied aluminum tubes through the fuse and it worked fine. Everyone says the covering is a low temp but it takes a lot more heat than Monokote or Ultracoat to get the wrinkles out. I also did not use the CF gear that came with the kit and bought the CapX aluminum gear for $20.00 and it works great. I used CA hinges on my Giles but not the ones that came with the kit, I just bought a sheet of CA hinge stock and cut my own a little bigger. I took out the 2 degrees of down thrust and the plane flys really great. I've given the Giles 202 a rest for a couple weeks so I can fly some of my other planes. Hope this helps water.boy.
ORIGINAL: water.boy

Zippi,

I'm guessing you like your GSP Giles 202. That's the same as the CMP model right? I really want one as it's a clean looking scheme to me. I've read horrible reviews of the smaller planes, and most say the bigger sizes are ok, but the covering is low quality. Did you do anything to your Giles, and how is it holding up? Thx.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:14 PM
water.boy

Thx Zippi. I looked down a few threads and read the ever obvious thread with Giles and Brillelli in the title. I see a few of you guys fly the Giles and seem to like it. The 26SS looks like a good candidate for this plane for light wing loading and the 40 looks like some great power if you don't mind the 9oz penalty. Do you think it's enough extra weight to make it fly worse or is the extra power hopefully gonna outweigh it. I guess we'll have to wait until it flies. I'll be watching for it!

My biggest/best plane is currently the H9 Showtime w/ a Saito 125. I just put a 17X4W prop on it to try some 3D. After watching Mark Leseberg do the rolling harriers in it, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll probably try a 16X7 or something to do some pattern stuff, but I'm still relatively new to flying and have more to learn. I just thought gas was the next logical step. I have 15 planes between nitro and electric and it'd be nice to save on fuel and cleanup, which is why I like my electrics.

Thx for all the info. I'll probably get one ordered soon.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Zippi

If your going to get the Giles 202 and want to fly 3D then I'd say you'll need the Brillelli 40cc. Scott at Brillelli says that the 40cc engine should hover the Giles 202. The 40cc doesn't weigh that much more and with the added power I think it should be just fine. Jstanton has just ordered the 40cc for his Giles 202 and will post a video. Watch for jstantons post.
ORIGINAL: water.boy

Thx Zippi. I looked down a few threads and read the ever obvious thread with Giles and Brillelli in the title. I see a few of you guys fly the Giles and seem to like it. The 26SS looks like a good candidate for this plane for light wing loading and the 40 looks like some great power if you don't mind the 9oz penalty. Do you think it's enough extra weight to make it fly worse or is the extra power hopefully gonna outweigh it. I guess we'll have to wait until it flies. I'll be watching for it!

My biggest/best plane is currently the H9 Showtime w/ a Saito 125. I just put a 17X4W prop on it to try some 3D. After watching Mark Leseberg do the rolling harriers in it, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll probably try a 16X7 or something to do some pattern stuff, but I'm still relatively new to flying and have more to learn. I just thought gas was the next logical step. I have 15 planes between nitro and electric and it'd be nice to save on fuel and cleanup, which is why I like my electrics.

Thx for all the info. I'll probably get one ordered soon.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
jstanton

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hay guy's would any of you be interested in vinyl Brillelli logo's for your planes. I ask a sign shop and they said they could make them for us, but they have to charge buy the running sq in. A sheet of 1"x3" Brillelli Logo's would cost $48.50 and that would give us 44 labels total. The size can change, but the price would be the same. I have ask Scoot if it was OK with him and I am waiting for a answer right now. If he says it is OK I will get a sheet made. I don't know if 1"x3" would be large enough. What are you thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.