Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Aerotech P51, Husky Challenger gas engine and missing throttle arm

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Aerotech P51, Husky Challenger gas engine and missing throttle arm

Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aerotech P51, Husky Challenger gas engine and missing throttle arm

Had a question I needed answered and thought someone who already owned this plane/engine combination could help...

I sold a gentlemen my Husky Challenger 2.7 with pipe for an Aerotech P51 he was building.....he had a Moki 1.8 in it but it wasn't enough power..

Well the buyer gets the engine and calls me to let know there's NO THROTTLE ARM on the engine!

To say I was stunned would be an understatement, as the cost of the engine should really warrant it being complete.

Anyway we're both scratching our heads on how to get the throttle arm setup on the engine but wondered if Aerotech might not make some mods to the engine, or add-ons, that would take care of this problem.

We tried calling Aerotech but they're out until next week...

If anyone has this plane/engine combination and can shed some light (especially pics) on how the "missing" throttle arm is taken care of we'd sure appreciate hearing from you....

Bill
Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Aerotech P51, Husky Challenger gas engine and missing throttle arm

Bill,

I have one of these engines (beautifully made, BTW). I obtained it in an Aerotech P51 (direct from Wayne S), so it had the throttle linkage all installed, including the bellcrank that goes to the advance that's built-in to the front of the engine. Pretty similar to the mech advance engines e.g. the Brisons.

I am not able to take a pic of this till this evening, but can do it then, and post it for you.

It's out of the plane, since I am installing a ZDZ80... but that's another story. Did do some runs on the Husky Challenger and it really is a nice motor, smooth, easy starting, etc .. but in my opinion, not enough juice for the (relatively heavy) P51. It will fly it "scale" for sure, but I wanted a little more power. Call me a road hog :-) The only downside is the cyl head of the '80 will stick out the bottom of the cowl about 3/8" where the Husky was totally enclosed.

As I recall, the throttle arm is just the usual retrofit of a 5/32" nosegear steering arm that many people (including me) put on the Tillotsons and Walbros.

Dave
Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 PM
ww2birds

Bill,

I have one of these engines (beautifully made, BTW). I obtained it in an Aerotech P51 (direct from Wayne S), so it had the throttle linkage all installed, including the bellcrank that goes to the advance that's built-in to the front of the engine. Pretty similar to the mech advance engines e.g. the Brisons.

I am not able to take a pic of this till this evening, but can do it then, and post it for you.

It's out of the plane, since I am installing a ZDZ80... but that's another story. Did do some runs on the Husky Challenger and it really is a nice motor, smooth, easy starting, etc .. but in my opinion, not enough juice for the (relatively heavy) P51. It will fly it "scale" for sure, but I wanted a little more power. Call me a road hog :-) The only downside is the cyl head of the '80 will stick out the bottom of the cowl about 3/8" where the Husky was totally enclosed.

As I recall, the throttle arm is just the usual retrofit of a 5/32" nosegear steering arm that many people (including me) put on the Tillotsons and Walbros.

Dave
Old 06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
ww2birds

OK, sorry for the delay, here are two shots of the throttle setup!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67890.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	484993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36898.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	484994  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need the ignition sensor , husky engines are no more in the market ,

Deos any one have the user manual ? Deos any ine have one of this engines for sale ?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 PM
ww2birds

Wow. you dug this up from 2006! I still have the one on the pic .. but no airplane for it. PM me if interested.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For a sensor the old CH's where custom glued IC's. Just get a universal hall sensor and glue it in and wire it for your ignition (I am just guessing). I have an old Brisson I did this for. The old CH's used deans type and they are hard to find today. I just recently got a Carden Cap with a twin 3W 70 for a great price , but, the owner wanted to keep his Deans connectors. I still have some so it was not an issue.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Phishshack

Can u tell me if the carb on this is it the wa 191a... Amd if this is the 2.7.44cc or bigger pleacs
Old 01-20-2022, 01:19 AM
Phishshack

Originally Posted by bucho
Deos any one have the user manual ? Deos any ine have one of this engines for sale ?
yes I have a brand new one with prop extension and a 5.5 inch spspinner for the p51 m.p me if u are interested