Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Desert Aircraft - Super!!

Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desert Aircraft - Super!!

First I want everyone to know that running your engine too rich for too long is not a good thing. I did this and carboned up the cylinder, piston and ring on my DA50r. Eventually the ring stuck and compression was all but lost and the engine would not run. I sent it back to DA for repair using their service form and explained that it was my fault and please do whatever was necessary to repair it. They did, and the turn around was a little over a week. They replaced the piston, ring, cylinder and other little peice parts. The total charge $0. Thats right $0. I almost passed out. The engine is still under warrenty but Remember this was my fault. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, ABOVE AND BEYOND

I don't know if DA is the best engine out there (I can't own them all to compare) but I do know that if they make the size that I need I will always fly with DA!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Desert Aircraft - Super!!

That's great to hear. I just had a similiar experience. I had the twisted wire loom I placed over the spark plug cable get cut by the cowl on my Cap which in turn cut the braiding on the cable to the point the ignition failed. I bought a new one and sent the old one in for repair which ended up costing me shipping only.

Sounds like you had an older engine that may have required the last round of updates. I had this with a used one I bought. The owner told me the engine was due for updates so I sent it off to them, got it back and all for no charge and was told that even a second hand engine still falls under the warranty, very cool stuff.

My only wish is that they would make a 75cc-80cc engine for the new line of 80cc planes coming out.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:23 AM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new DA customer, I'm glad to hear of the good support.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:53 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

I posted this yesterday on another site.

What's Up With That... DA??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the past couple of years, I've had some issues with DA that I think they really need to address in the future. I feel their customer service is somewhat lacking and can be improved upon.

DA 150 - RPM's about 6000 @ WOT. Transition is wonderful and the ilde is about 1200. Last time I sent my engine in for a questionable issue, it was back in TWO days, with all the issues being resolved at an outrageous charge of $.00. What's up with that.. DA?? I've got a 150, a 100 and a 50. Between the three, they've all been back to DA for one reason or another (some I'd just rather not discuss since some of them were thumb issues) and they've all had more or less a three day turn around. What's up with that.. DA??

Here's my suggestions to address and upgrade your services. Have a tech with a cell phone stationed at the Tucson Airport with a bag of tricks that can address any of my DA issues. In a moments notice, when I call, have him buy a ticket and immediately call to reserve a limo here in Vegas with an expeditious route to my house. When he arrives, have him repair, run and tweak all my DA motors.. Then take me to dinner. Whilst in Vegas, have him let me spin the "DA Wheel of Fortune" having lovely prize categories like new engines, props, DA accessories and such. Lastly, he should take into account all the money that was spent on the trip including the flight, transportation, trip and prize amount, add it all up and leave me at least a 20% tip on my work bench before saying adios.

Come on DA!

In all seriousness, DA is all I've known in a gas engine. With a quality product and top notched customer service, I have no need or desire to look elsewhere.

Thanks DA for all you do.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Murdock, - funny but to the point. I am like others - where is the 75cc that has been in the works for years it seems?-
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

John Murdock, - funny but to the point. I am like others - where is the 75cc that has been in the works for years it seems?-
Let me give you my take on that.. And it's just that -- "MY TAKE!"

I believe that prior to the 50 coming out, they gave the prototypes to qualified sponsored pilots who in turn tested them. And.. I'm sure there was some reconfiguration and re-engineering after all the testing was performed. Even after all the testing, when they decided to release the 50, there were a few issues that appeared. One, the rod/pin issue and secondly, the carb block issue. It was only when they released it to us dumb, up and coming, new to gas engines kind of folk, did "WE" really put it to the test. I can imagine all the idiots, moving up from glow, including myself, that didn't know a thing about gas engines. Twisting, tweaking, turning all kinds of things. Running rich, running lean etc. So the 50 was essentially the first step up from glow engines that we "tested" to the max.

Here's what they did when the problems arose. All 50's returned to DA for any reason got a new rod/pin, period! I originally sent mine in for a broken motor mount tab. The sent it back with a new case and the new rod/pin. A few months later, I had a bad ignition and sent it in again. They replaced the ignition and guess what, that replaced the rod/pin again. Lastly, I sent it in for a faulty sensor or something like that. Guess what? They replaced the rod/pin again. I even told them that they'd replaced the rod/pin on several occasions, but my understanding was whenever a 50 rolled through their shop, it was standard practice to replace the rod/pin assembly.... no matter what, even if had been replaced before.

Here's a company that took a giant hit. However, they stepped up to the plate and did everything in their power to rectify the issues, often, many times over.

With that being said, I'm equally sure when DA finally releases the 75-80 class motor, it will be as "Golden" as the rest of their products. No matter how much is put into prototypes, it's only truly tested when they release it to us idiots and thrill seekers. Give them the time needed to create an engine that will ultimately be exactly what "we" want in a motor.

Again, this is only my take on the issue. But, I think, a take that make sense.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

I tend to agree with your take. I am convinced that DA took a pretty good hit when they started repairing the 50's.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

They are great, I don't plan on ever buying another brand of gasser in the 50cc,75cc?????,100cc, and 150cc class other than DA<< every body can argue about well suchandsuch's customer service is just as good, but I have heard of all other companies, Zenoah, ZDZ(rcshowcase),, and especially 3W(aircraft international), having problems but I have NEVER heard of a complaint about DA's service if so I won't to know,, but I don't think there ever has been,
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 AM
amjflyer

DA are lovely engines and id agree even in the UK service is excellent, though the model for service delivery is rather more convaluted than in the US. However, I would point out that customer service in the US is generally better on most things than in the UK so our view of things tends to be rather different. More and more these days there is not so much to choose from between the engine manufacturers and what wins the sale and customer loyalty is actually after sales support and service (it certainly works with me, ill gladly pay 20%+ more if the service backup is there to compliment it). What has often turned a nice model/engine combo with potential into a nightmare for me in the past has been poor information, support and service. In europe generally we need to learn this more... (incidentally, I know a 3W dealer well in the UK and there service is also excellent!)

On the 75-80cc question, whats wrong with the DA-100? I fly an 80cc CAP on a DA100 and it works well, it needs the extra weight (though the DA100 is alight engine for tis size anyway), the 100 twin is nice and smooth with plenty of torque. If I were DA i dont know that id bother making a 75cc single. I guess the only reason to go for a single would be cost.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:10 PM
rc_cdi

DA IS BETTER