Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli 46cc

Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 46cc

It's not that it's overkill.... it's just foamy power really. They say you can always throttle back

I like the combo for sure... I just mean that it's not neccessary by any means.

The one thing to consider is that if you go with the 46 you will have more options in the future. It will fly a 15 pound plane no problem, so when you are ready for your next gas plane you will have an engine that you can progress with if you choose to.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
GregT882762

OK,but as far as weight goes, not that big of an issue then,any other things i should consider getting for this yak that was not on review?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Jake Ruddy

Nope, you will be fine.

I don't recall mentioning a kill device such as a smart-fly optical kill. I use them and think they are a good idea. There is a couple of options as far as brand out there, but I only have experience with the smart-fly product. http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm
Old 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with the 46, you can probably manage balance with just the batteries or very little dead weight. With a smaller engine on the EF Yak, you'll certanly need to add some lead.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:14 PM
GregT882762

How much tinkering is usually done on a gas engines versus a glow,just curious?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravikoth

Thanks guys,
This is what i dug up on the low end issue.

Petrol (Gas) Engine Tuning
*** Carbs aren't too difficult to tune up if you know what you're doing. First of all, you need to know how the carb works and how the settings interact with each other. About 95% of all the gas airplanes I've seen at the field are somewhat out of tune. How can I tell this? Simple, at some point the engines "four cycle" in flight. Two Cycle engines are not supposed to "four cycle" PERIOD. This is caused by a rich mixture that is forcing the sparkplug to intermittently miss making it sound like a four stroke. This is not good. HOWEVER the good news is; gasoline two stroke engines are very tolerant of rich settings (most of the time) and will run fine. You'll just consume a little more gasoline than necessary, and create a little more oil mess on your plane. You may eventually foul your spark plug as well. So why do so many people leave their engines tuned like this? Simple answer, the engine will start much easier when it's cold AND there's little or no warm up time needed prior to flying. Those are pretty good reasons! But the fact is... the engine is not running like it's supposed to.

(1) The low end needle on a Walbro carb is ALWAYS the one closest to the engine, the high end needle is the closest one to the intake/choke.

(2) There is no fuel adjustment for idle fuel, only air feed set by the idle stop or servo.

(3) Both low end AND high end needles feed the top end fuel supply.

Let's tune up a Walbro!

Set the low end & high end needles to about 1 to 1 1/2 turns each. Choke the carb or prime it, until the carb is wet. Fire up the engine and let it warm up. Let's set the top end first since it's the easier of the two. Go to full throttle. Adjust the top end needle for peak RPM. Leave it wide open for about a minute to see if it changes any. Should the engine go lean, open the low end needle slightly, if this doesn't work... you will have to adjust the needle valve inside the carb.( I will explain this later) If the top end runs OK, then slowly pull the throttle down until the engine begins to "four cycle" hold the throttle there. Adjust the low end needle until the "four cycling" stops. Now lower the throttle more until it "four cycles" again, and adjust the low end again. Keep doing this until you reach full idle. Now, from full idle begin to throttle up until the engine starts to bog or hesitate. Open up the top end needle just enough to eliminate the bog or hesitation.

When this is done right, you will be able to set the throttle in any position and it won't four cycle, plus you will be able to transition from idle to full power without any hesitation at all. -Xipp, Flying******.com Member

Understanding a Walbro Carb
Ok this is for people who need a little insight into how a carburetor works in this case I will be using a Walbro for example.

Starting from the gas tank, the fuel is pumped from the fuel tank and enters the carb through the inlet. The fuel works its way through the fuel pump through a little diaphragm pump that's controlled by 2 one way valves (little flaps). The fuel then passes through a needle & seat that is controlled by the "float" diaphragm. This "float" diaphragm manages how much fuel is available for the idle, low-speed, and high-speed throttle positions. The "float" diaphragm opens & closes the needle through a small lever attached to the needle. The fuel is then "standing by" waiting in the float area for a vacuum signal at the various jets. The lever setting is very critical since it controls the available fuel to the jets. If the lever is too low, the engine will run lean, if the lever is too high, the engine will run very rich and will likely flood out at idle
The fuel starts its journey through the pump assembly first...

Then the fuel is regulated by the float diaphragm that controls the needle & seat.

All of these parts reside in the float cavity area as well as the fuel ready to be fed through the jets as needed. The amount of fuel available in the cavity is regulated by the lever and its relationship to the float diaphragm. So it's critical that the lever be set properly. Within the cavity, there are distribution holes that are managed by the low end and high end needles. Plus the idle circuit, which is a fixed size.

(Note) All Walbro carbs will run in any position, but they tune "best" as a side draft carb. The down draft position tends to run a little rich at idle, and the updraft tends to run a little lean at idle. No big deal though, it's easily tuned none the less.

This photo depicts one of Walbro's premier carbs, having a large bore and equipped with a high speed check valve and external fuel pump pulse inlet.

Now let's talk about the pulse signal for the fuel pump.

Your ENGINE will determine which pulse inlet type you need! If the engine "carb base" has a hole drilled into the crankcase you will use the STANDARD pulse port and the optional (if you have it) port must be closed off. If there's no hole drilled, you will find a fitting located somewhere on your crankcase. Use a piece of fuel line to connect the crankcase fitting to the fitting on the optional pulse inlet. There's no need to block off the standard port, as it's already blocked off by the engine mounting.

The carb must get a pulse signal from the engine! This signal "pushes and pulls" on the pump diaphragm which feeds the carb fuel.

Maybe the above will provide a perfect idle and lovely transition.

The holy Grail of Gas engines.

Regards
Ravi Kothari.
Are you sure about no 2= no fuel ajustment for Idle! ????
Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
GregT882762

Sounds easy enough haha
Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 PM
reyn3545

Its really pretty easy... start with the needles about 1 1/4 out, tune in the high end first, then the low end, and stick with it. It will be a little rough in the mid-range for the first gallon or so, then start to level off and get stronger. As long as you don't run them too lean, run them into the ground, or don't forget to manage airflow over the head, they will last for years of great flying.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:27 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: cameron724

Sounds easy enough haha
I am not trying to learn a better way of tunning a 2 stroke. I must do it right...everyone who flys, wants me to tune his engine. I just do not agree with statement # 2 in previous list. Capt,n
Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

Ravi,

I am glad it is working better now. The roughness on the low is a combination of a little rich and time. Get a gallon through it and it will be a compleatly different engine. Also it would not hurt to play with the low. If you are at 1 3/4 it is a little rich. Lean does allmost the same thing, but since you are out that much I am sure it is rich there. Just turn it in 1/16th of a turn and fly it. That is how I do it. If it is still really rich do it again. When I tune mine I do it gradually unless it is very rich. DO it a few times and you will get it tuned well. As it breaks in the will seem to go rich and need a little more tweeking. That is normal.

Capt John,

I believe what the person ment in statment #2 is that there is no fuel air needle on the low like some carbs and cars have. There is a low end needle, but no needle specifically for mixture at idle. jUst an idle stop that wind of works the same.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM
captinjohn

Looks like ravikof must have copied something from some weird place! Capt,n
Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 PM
ravikoth

Hi,

Thanks for that input Scott, i spent some time tweaking the low end and it sounds better, i think with a little bit of run in and the engine will be just fine. it sounds great and the transition is lightning fast.

As far as the tuning is concerned i think it is an ignored issue amongst gas engine users, and i think it is absolutely essential that an engine should be tuned right to get most out of it.

regards
ravi kothari.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 PM
ravikoth

Hello Captin John,

Actually that text has been quoted from a forum where some serious gas engine experts discuss engine issues, it is not a "weird Place", in fact you will be surprised as to the amount of info that is actually available and needed sometimes. Most of the times these gas engines work out just fine and the needles dont require that precise a tuning effort, but sometimes a lot needs to be done to extract the best from your engine. The tuning process described in the text has been used by many on the field and with excellent results, i too think that most of it is technical , but it has been written by someone with a lot of experience and expertise.

regards
ravi Kothari.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 AM
captinjohn

ravikoth: My apologies. I should not have said weird place. I should of said instead a different type of text than what may be found here. Would you please note what model of carb this applies too. Where did this text come from? Do you have a link to it? Most carbs we use on radio controlled airplanes, are the type with idle circuit controlled with low speed needle. Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM
ravikoth

Absolutely no problem.

regards
ravi kothari.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:41 AM
ravikoth

Hi Guys,

Went flying today and had a great time. Started with both the needles out , and then slowly leaned them out. First did the Hi and then worked out the low. The engine Idle rpm increased significantly, Transition was perfect and crisp. Took her up and the Engine ran beautifully. Everything seems sorted out.

Regards
Ravi Kothari.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 AM
reyn3545

Great, glad to hear that! its 50 degrees and raining here, temps dropping into the 20s tonight.. I haven't flown for probably 2 weeks... At least someone somewhere in the world can get out and fly!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Jake Ruddy

great... glad you got it figured out. The V-stacks are hit and miss... sometimes it works better with them and sometimes it doesn't like them at all.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:43 PM
ledsled
My Feedback: (1)

I have not read the thread lately, glad I just did. I just completed my cowl for the GP SU 31. And my Vstack is pretty much flush with the cowl line. Would it be worth looking for a longer Vstack, or just remove it?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
reyn3545

its really impossible to say. I don't know if you've cut your cowl or not, or if you'll need to. If the stack will fit entirely inside the cowl, tune it as well as possible on the ground, put it in the air and see what you think. Just keep working with different options until you see what works best for the engine and your plane.

My stack is cut at a 45 degree angle, I rotated it so that the long side was towards the tail. It seemed to be better. I took it to the field again yesterday and also did a little more tuning.. its up to 7200 on the ground with a 20x8 prop... you can't ask for more than that! I also set up a decent throttle curve (finally). There's so little throw in the throttle arm that just a little movement goes from idle to almost full blast very quickly. When I set a midpoint and set about 50% expo, the throttle response seemed much more in line with stick movements.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:51 PM
ledsled

I have already cut the cowl, but I'll keep playing with it. I may have had a similar problem in the last plane this engine was in. I did not see much difference in half throttle and wide open. It may have been rich on the top end. I will never know, I had radio problems and lost the plane. I'm waiting for warmer weather to get it out side.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

If it is real close to the outside of the coel, remove the stack. It it is close to flush, it will do no good. They work better if sticking out 1/4" or more. I would remove it and cover the hole and try that.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
bmadden

Sorry to cut in with this. I just want to post a copy of my review on this thread for the folks that stumble across it looking for a new gasser.

Gotta’ put my two cents in as well. I have put about 50 flights in my 46GT. WOW WOW WOW!! Power? Yes, plenty! Ease of use? Flip, flip go fly!! Everyone at the club who comes in contact with the engine is very impressed with it.
And to top it all off, Scott dose every thing humanly possible to make sure you are happy with your purchase, and stay that way. When I stop and think of all of the time Scott has spent on the phone and online with me, helping with the goofy questions that I ask. I am sure that I have cost him more in his time than he made in profit on my purchase. Guess I’ll have to buy more to make up for it.
Get one, or two, or six, you will be happy!!

Thanks for all your help Scott
Brian
Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
skiman762

I just repaired a 46 carb adapter that had broke off in a crash that my son-in-law owns
We fired it up yesterday with a pro zinger 22x8 it turned 7200 on three different runs not bad power for a 46 poulan engine about 4.2 hp give or take on a stock muffler no stack
the engine is still fairly new I think it might pick up another 100 or so after a few more gallons then maybe a pipe umm the possibilites
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
skiman762

well just ran it again before I took it off the stand 3 runs at 7200, idle is steady at 1600
man that prop blast sure takes your breath away

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.