Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

GAS Saito

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Valve floater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GAS Saito

Wish i would have known. I just ordered another Super dri gallon from Tower. thanks for the info and pic. I did not order the engine yet. I contacted flyboys with the new Ag duster Cessna with the 98 inch wingspan. They said this engine should work. they have one flying with a Satio 180 now. But like others have said, i am finding it hard to swallow the price tag on this engine when i can get a 2- stroke cheap with more power. but my major issue is that sweet realistic sound. You have calmed my fears about the smoke system.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:24 AM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like when you look at your watch 3-5 minutes would equate to 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn or just a little tweek.
Steve
Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: SteveD-RCU

Like when you look at your watch 3-5 minutes would equate to 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn or just a little tweek.
Steve
I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Valve floater

Wish i would have known. I just ordered another Super dri gallon from Tower. thanks for the info and pic. I did not order the engine yet. I contacted flyboys with the new Ag duster Cessna with the 98 inch wingspan. They said this engine should work. they have one flying with a Satio 180 now. But like others have said, i am finding it hard to swallow the price tag on this engine when i can get a 2- stroke cheap with more power. but my major issue is that sweet realistic sound. You have calmed my fears about the smoke system.
No doubt its pricey, however you forget the money (some) when you hear it run! I have not heard it in the air yet but it sounds great on the ground. I plan on flying it for the first time this weekend. I can't wait to do some fly bys with the smoke on and the 4 banger growling!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:37 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Hi Guys, I've got a midwest cap232 running with a saito 300twin.Thinking of putting this engine in instead.Can i expect good aerobtic performance or maybe 3d with this setup or would a spe43 be better? What is the weight I should be gunning for?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
laryboy

engine starts at high idle, after 15 seconds it begins to wind down and will not respond to throttle, finally stops .sometimes this repeats itself twice. then starts ok. after first start of the day it starts normally.any thoughts? Does any one have a good needle tweeking procedure that they know works on this engine?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Trinut
My Feedback: (26)

YS is testing a spark ignition for their 1.70. It still uses glow fuel (with nitro).
I wonder what the Saito 2.20 would do with an alcy carb and methanol?
The YS gets better fuel economy, no kickback, etc.
I like the benefits of ignition, and I like the cooler running, lack of fumes, and the smell of glow.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Ed Vollmer
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Trinut

YS is testing a spark ignition for their 1.70. It still uses glow fuel (with nitro).
I wonder what the Saito 2.20 would do with an alcy carb and methanol?
The YS gets better fuel economy, no kickback, etc.
I like the benefits of ignition, and I like the cooler running, lack of fumes, and the smell of glow.
I did what you are considering (see this thread for some pix and other information ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...23/key_/tm.htm ). You must fabricate a ring (for installing the pulse switch magnet) which fits on the prop hub. I fabricated a small aluminum bracket to mount the pulse switch on one of the stiffener gussets - you can see it on the pix. You must also assemble the prop hub and tapered collet with locktite to keep the prop hub from slipping on the crankshaft and throwing your timing off.

I used my own ignition design but CH Ignitions, Inc. can provide you with an electronically timed ignition with a plug cap for the 1/4-32 spark plugs.

You will find that the ease of starting and overall tractability of the engine to be improved immensely. After priming and pulling the prop through several revolutions I could turn the ignition on and start it first flip by reaching over from behind the wing using my left hand to flip the prop.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
kiosk

I have one of there, does anyone know how to make it louder? is way to quiet for my H9 P51 150!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Straight pipe with a flared megaphone tip. Or a very short straight pipe.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
tms261

So how did the Saito gasser fly the H9 P-51 ? Thinking about that same combo even though I see the firewalll mods are a bit involved.

Tim
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 PM
kiosk

ORIGINAL: tms261

So how did the Saito gasser fly the H9 P-51 ? Thinking about that same combo even though I see the firewalll mods are a bit involved.

Tim
flies great, lovely growl sound goes perfect with warbird, i can make pretty fast speed passes for that size plane, but as I said is WAY too quiet for a warbird, one of the benefits of a 4-stroke is much quieter than a 2-cycle, but is too quiet for me while in the air.....even other are amazed how quiet it is
firewall mods not as big a deal as it looks, just used the templates posted on the horizon hobby site and make sure use the engine mount that came with the engine NOT the one that came with the plane

where does one get one of these straight pipes?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM
laryboy

engine was getting harder and harder to start. was not sucking fuel properly. ran fuel line from carb input to gas can. flipping prop will not suck up fuel. using a starter it takes 2 15 sec. bursts to get fuel near carb. if i leave starter on long enough it will eventually start. if i stick by thumb into carb opening it will suck up fuel properly. was so frustrated i bought a new carb.......same results. any ideas ?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Jburry

2 things affect fuel draw, and they're the things that affect compression too.

First, check that your valves are adjusted in spec. If that fails, examine the piston/cylinder for scratches or wear.

I suspect you'll find one of the valves is below the specified clearance. This must be checked and adjusted at fairly regular intervals. Once the engine is well run in, once a year may suffice, but not if it's newish.

If the above is good, check all bolts that may result in air leaks.

J
Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 AM
wswanepoel

ORIGINAL: laryboy

engine was getting harder and harder to start. was not sucking fuel properly. ran fuel line from carb input to gas can. flipping prop will not suck up fuel. using a starter it takes 2 15 sec. bursts to get fuel near carb. if i leave starter on long enough it will eventually start. if i stick by thumb into carb opening it will suck up fuel properly. was so frustrated i bought a new carb.......same results. any ideas ?
I have the same problem since new. That is why I have asked in another thread if someone has made some or other choke for it as I need it.

I can not reach the carb opening if the cowl is on. What I do now it to spray the cowl full of starting pilot and then start the motor. The starting pilot let the motor run long enough to suck fuel on its own.

Please let me know if you find a better solution.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:43 AM
kiosk

i use starter....cold starts take 15-20sec, but once I get past first start then a couple prop flips will do the trick afterwards
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
laryboy

glad to see replies to my problem. 20 sec. is an eternity for my starter. my engine would require a couple of tries at 10 sec. i have talked to saito support and they have not heard of this problem (hmmmm ! ) as i said i bought new carb ,hoping to avoid 3-4 week turn around, but now i am going to send it back. tried resetting tappets. the were off (too much gap ) but did not help. hope more people tell us what they are seeing.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
SteveD-RCU

I have installed a primer tube made of 1/8 brass to my engines on my DC3.I shaped it to go up and over the engine mount and then it points down into the carb.Works great.I use a manual pump like DuBros to slowly fill the carb.The tube is just gooped to the firewall.You can see it in the pic..(pics aren't great quality but you get the idea)
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34276.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	965073  
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
SteveD-RCU

I have close to an hour of ground testing on my DC-3 and things are looking and sounding good.My idles are around 1900 to 2000 and my top end is 7000 rpm using 18x10 Biela 2 blade props.I had one engine with a stuck exhaust valve on the first runs so I did what Wswanepol did with the injector cleaner and it seems to have solved that issue.
One thing though I notice one engine has less compression than the other before a cold start.Could that be a valve clearance issue?Both engines start well ,they spool up in sync and have identical top ends,plus the sound and the pull is AWESOME!
Flight tests soon..(has 3 flights with Fugi32's already)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14193.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	965077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61945.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	965078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28946.jpg
Views:	31
ID:	965079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21829.jpg
Views:	31
ID:	965080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al73018.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	965081  
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 AM
wswanepoel

It is awesome!!! I hope you will make some video's of the maden flight.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
kiosk

ORIGINAL: Flight Risk

where do i get one these from for my FG36?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: kiosk

ORIGINAL: Flight Risk

where do i get one these from for my FG36?
I doubt that one is commercially available. You'll have to take an exhaust manifold and have a piece of tubing welded on. It could then be heated and slightly flaired.
Or find a flex pipe here or from Macs.
http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...ank%7c1&vno=72

Rod S
Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

I have close to an hour of ground testing on my DC-3 and things are looking and sounding good.My idles are around 1900 to 2000 and my top end is 7000 rpm using 18x10 Biela 2 blade props.I had one engine with a stuck exhaust valve on the first runs so I did what Wswanepol did with the injector cleaner and it seems to have solved that issue.
One thing though I notice one engine has less compression than the other before a cold start.Could that be a valve clearance issue?Both engines start well ,they spool up in sync and have identical top ends,plus the sound and the pull is AWESOME!
Thats one awesome DC3!! Is it skinned in aluminium or plastic film? Bet it sounds fabulous with the 2 fg36s. Hope you have the video up soon.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Hi all. I have this engine, not yet installed on the plane or run. Just wondering if the sticky valve problem has been fixed or figured out, or any word from Horizon/Saito. Also what oil is everyone using and have had good luck with this engine? The manual is kind of vague on oil, just percentage, etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 AM
SteveD-RCU

ORIGINAL: togatoga

Thats one awesome DC3!! Is it skinned in aluminium or plastic film? Bet it sounds fabulous with the 2 fg36s. Hope you have the video up soon.
The DC=3 is ready to go on these engines,I've been waiting for better field conditions at our local club.Hope to have it up in a week or two.
Will attempt to get some video also
Steve.
BigskyRCFlyer ,I'm using Lucas semisynthetic oil..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.