Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Proper way to vent a gasser fuel tank

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Proper way to vent a gasser fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 06:55 PM
bfreee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to vent a gasser fuel tank

Hi everyone & Merry x-mas. Don't know how many RC junkies are out there on a day like this, but I'm hoping some. I've got a new QQ 102" yak with a gas engine. This is my first gas plane & want to know is how do you properly vent the tank. I've seen somewhere where guys rapped the vent line around the fuel tank a few times, but thats the only thing I've seen. What should I do & what options are there. If someone could give me pros & cons on 2 vs 3 lines & this way to vent vs that way, Id really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:08 PM
GUNS

Default RE: Proper way to vent a gasser fuel tank

The way I do it is to put a loop of fuel line on top of the tank, then route it behind the tank and out the bottom of the plane. The loop on top keeps gas from leaking out when the plane is in different attitudes. It also won't leak out when you tip it up on the nose. That is a 3 line system with one to the carb, one for fueling dot, and the vent.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:52 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Same deal with a 2 line tank. Loop the vent and then out the bottom. A fuel dot and a t fitting go in the line to the carb.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bfreee,

There are different ways of rigging a gas fuel tank and you'll probably get a lot of answers on this post about how to rig it but this is how I do it. I run a 3 line tank with two clunks. One line to the carb with a clunk, one line to a fuel Dot with a clunk, and one line is my vent that hangs out the bottom of the fuse. The reason for the clunk on the line to the fuel Dot is so when I drain the tank from that line it is on the bottom of the fuel tank so it will drain all the fuel out. Some guys will splice into the line to the carb with a "T" fitting and run that to their fuel Dot. Like I said, there are different ways of rigging a gas fuel tank.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 2 line method as TKG explained. Simple and effective.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:03 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

The method I use is to put a U shape around the back of the tank.
As you can see in the picture the vent line forms a U on the top of the tank and has a filter installed. This line proceeds down the front of the tank and exits the plane around former F1.

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93336.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	583669  
Old 12-26-2006, 12:19 PM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

I run 3 lines. One with the clunk like a glow engine to the carb with a filter on it. The second line goes from the fuel dot to the line inside the tank and just bent down to fill and empty the tank rather than using a second clunk. The vent line as you can see exits the tank just like a glow engine but loops to the back of the back of the tank on the top and exits out the bottom of the fuse just forward of the tank. This line also has a filter on it just before exiting so that any debris can not enter the system. This loop prevents fuel being sucked out of the tank on downlines or if you stand the model on the nose.... It works for me.... I have since removed the aluminum angles and replaced them with plastic shelving brackets. Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12774.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	583864  
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 AM
bfreee

Thanks so much to all who answered. Now Ive got ideas, will pick & chose. Thanks so much to all.