Let's try again DL-50

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's try again DL-50

ORIGINAL: paul5992

My dad has always been up on techno stuff he had a camcorder in 1984. He has always preeched to me about perfection on tape. Thats why I'm mad. His ability to give a crap is gone. I don't like that. He has always been the fussy one. Now things are different. Since he retired. Nothing I can do about it except complain. SORRY[][]
One of the luxuries/rights of growing older is that it is not *required* to "give a crap" about so many things as you did when younger. Sometimes, we may not focus on what others think are important, but that is perfectly okay. Paul, you'll know when you get there. Don't stress over it, believe me....

SO tell us how the engine ran!!! Start, transition in the air, power?
Are you grinnin', despite the Leaving the Wing Tube Home problem??? (WHO hasn't done *that* or worse???)
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 AM
paul5992

Aerobob, It was a little cooler than it was when I tuned it. Like 20 degrees cooler. So it was a little lean just on the idle though. There was no bog so I just flew it. It ran great. Transition was a little funny but still very good. This morning I cut a small hole in the side of the cowl to tune it. Today the weather is going to be nice. So I'm gonna go again. With the wing tube today, and not a halfhour befor dark so I have some time. There will be a video today. I will have a friend record the flight. So you guys can see it. It was a very good experience. 30% planes fly very graceful and soft. Its a big change from my 68" edge 540. The power of the DL is unreal. The plane flew perfect and I love it and I'm happy and very greatful to all of you guys for the help to get everything to this point. THANKS VERY MUCH.

O, one more thing 3 flips choke on 3 flips choke off cold, running. I flew it for about 15 minutes then it was to dark to be comfordable. It only used a 1/4 tank of fuel. This thing sips fuel. Wow! I only started it once. Great motor.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Bob Pastorello

Paul, it's SUPER to read your enthusiasm! It's a great engine; wish it would have been out when I had that SD 30%'er, myself. But...
Sounds like you like the "feel" of the bigger bird, too. Ain't it great?
I've read it for so many years, didn't really believe it till I got my first 25%'er, then a 30.... can only imagine how much sweeter even bigger is, but my workshop and transport will just flat NOT permit 35% airplanes.

So I stay content below 90".... and have thoroughly enjoyed the gas thing.
The DL 50 just made the whole experience that much better, though.

Sometime I'll tell the story about driving a couple hundred miles to a contest without my transmitter..... [:@][:@]
Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading up on mufflers and have a question. Why do most muffler manufacturers think that the muffler has to be bolted to the engine and then wrap around the side and behind cylinder all in one piece? Why doesn't someone make a muffler that bolts to the firewall, insulated of course, and have a simple manifold bolted to the engine and connected to the firewall mounted muffler via a flex tube. This would have a double advantage. The weight of the whole muffler would not be hanging on the engine and would result in less vibration. I realize that there is the high performance cannister exhaust system but I just want a simple "in-cowl" muffler for my DL-50! I am going to make my own setup and see how it works. It's nice having a full service machine shop and TIG welder at my disposal!!! Speedy
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Bob Pastorello

Build it, show it, buyers will come, Speedy.
Main issue, I think, is the overwhelming variation in engine box shapes, cowling shapes, and mounting methods.
K&S makes all the stuff to "do your own" and mount a canister anywhere you want....but gets expensive and complex, and not everyone can silver-braze.

I'd love to see some compact, custom-designed functional muffler systems for these birds that didn't cost two arms....in fact, I'll even "guinea pig" for you, if you want....
Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 AM
paul5992

Speedy keep us posted on your muffler build. With pics.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:28 AM
raypadro

Speedy how is your Extra 330l project going.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:29 AM
paul5992

Ok here are some final build pics of my yak. Pushrods are 4-40 threaded rod in a carbon fiber tube. And the tail wheel springs are held on with fishing swivels. Crimped of corse.

I found another use for the washers that come with du-bro control arms. They make a great surround for the LED
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72459.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	782053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93487.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	782054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67366.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	782055  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: paul5992

Ok here are some final build pics of my yak. Pushrods are 4-40 threaded rod in a carbon fiber tube. And the tail wheel springs are held on with fishing swivels. Crimped of corse.
Gotta admit.... that fishing swivel idea for the springs is just COOL....
Love to see new ways of doing stuff. Looks great!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM
raypadro

I'm also building the CMPRO extra 330l 80" wingspan.Which do you think are good servos for that plane. The least inexpensive that do the work.Do you think that Hitec 645 in rudder and 625 everything else would do the job?

Also is a 24oz. fuel tank too big for that plane.I don't receive my DL 50 yet but is going to be here soon,Bob at DLUSA already send it to me.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Stick Bender

Here is another from last night. I like the looks of the PT Plane carbon fiber prop, but to tell the truth the JXF wood is better. But for hovering the PT Plane prop doesn't hit as hard at low rpm and it makes hovering a 14 pound plane easier. It's hard not to gain altitude with the JXF, the plane jumps up with the slightest increase in throttle. The PT is more linear and easier.

Inverted pass.

Name:	Ki20080.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	782060  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Overwhelming variation is what makes this idea so attractive. Mount the muffler where it will fit. Attach the manifold to engine. Route the flex tube between the two units and you have an in-cowl system that looks good from the outside and lowers vibration. It seems a shame to me to see a nice looking model with the cowl all carved up for the muffler to fit. I wish a current manufacturer would pick up on this idea. As you may well know, It is hard to make a buck or even cover your cost to make,market,and sell, a product in the R/C industry. Most times a R/C muffler system exceeds the cost of putting a set of mufflers on a smallblock Chevy. But then you have to consider that a good idea is worth paying for. I'm on it!! Luckily I do not charge myself for labor! I will keep this forum posted on progress and results. Anyone else wishing to weigh in on this idea? Please feel free to do so. I would like to incorporate something that would adapt to the stock DL-50 muffler. Speedy
Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Bob Pastorello

ray- I always tell everyone that servos on 30% airplanes are the equivalent of tires on your car. You can buy cheap, and live with results that could leave you stranded (crashed), or you can buy "better", and have the mental peace of mind. Just my approach, doesn't mean it's the only way... but spending money on good servos pays off in the long run, because servos can outlast the airframes you mount them on, if you buy good servos.

To me - "Good" is Digital, Cored, Metal Gear Hitecs, at least the 5645 or better. "Better" is the Digital Coreless, Metal Gear Hitecs, the 5985.... "BEST", no doubt, is the Digital, Coreless, High Speed Titanium Geared Hitec 5955. Again - just my opinion. I would not go non-digital for a variety of reasons that are way off the DL 50 topic.

My DL 50, with a 20 oz tank, flies WAY longer than my nerves and concentration can permit.... on the 30%, you would be fine with a 16oz, IMO. Unless you just want to stay up forever....
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 AM
paul5992

I love the extra 260. Thats gonna be my next plane. Nice pics Stick Bender.

Ray I have a 26oz tank in my 87" yak and last night I used a 1/4 tank for about 15 min of flight. I think I'm gonna go to a 16oz next year when I change fuel lines
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Stick Bender

ORIGINAL: raypadro

I'm also building the CMPRO extra 330l 80" wingspan.Which do you think are good servos for that plane. The least inexpensive that do the work.Do you think that Hitec 645 in rudder and 625 everything else would do the job?

Also is a 24oz. fuel tank too big for that plane.I don't receive my DL 50 yet but is going to be here soon,Bob at DLUSA already send it to me.
The short answer is probably yes. If you set your linkage geometry up properly (servo arm shorter than control horn to have enough leverage with the 625's) but I have to say. My experience trying to save money on servos was bad. I tried 635's first (no good on gas, never use HB series servos with gasoline not 635's for sure) karbonite gear on elevator servo stripped, crashed plane. Went to 645's, better but slow and gear train was sloppy after just 1 season. So now I have all those servos just sitting there, waste of money. Put a 5955 on the rudder and 5985's on the others, make sure you have the power system for digitals and I believe you will have a much better experience with your plane. I'm running all mine off of 2 4.8v ni/mh 1400's on a dual failsafe, redundant Fromeco wolvering switch (easily seen in pic above)

If your just going to do sport flying and mild aerobatics the 645,625 combo should be fine. If you want to 3D you need digitals (in my opinion) I love the "instant response" I get from the digitals and I love flying my plane now. If fast twitchy response sounds like a bad thing, maybe digitals aren't for you. I'm also suprised how much rudder blowback I was getting with the 645, the 5955 holds it firm wherever I chose.

Scott
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Bob Pastorello

Great pic, stick, and I agree absolutely with your prop assessment. The PT is "good", the NX/JXF/Xoar is "Better".... from what I've read the "Best" may be this Vess thing..... just gotta get out there and try it. Great inverted pic, really!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Stickbender, You can't fool me! That's the same picture as model upright only picture inverted! LOL! Speedy
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Bob Pastorello

Speedy - I almost "bit" on your reply, then looked at the shadows. I think he really *IS* inverted. Do you know something the rest of us need to know????
Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Just havin some fun! Don't get all up in a tizz now!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Bob Pastorello

Not me! Thought that was pretty funny
Old 10-13-2007, 10:48 AM
drewbags

Just got back from the field after another awesome day with the DL; this engine is just so sweet. Lovely autumnal day here in blighty. My mate has a new one in his Wildhare Extra (whilst his DA is away being tweaked!!) and he is a happy camper too!

Name:	Yw67735.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	782101  
Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Stayed in your part of the country two years ago with the in-laws at Lambs Court Manor. I know just how great your days are there. Stop by the Fat Cat for me and have a few!!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:01 PM
raypadro

Ok I'll change my 24oz. for a 16oz. and I can get a Hitec 5955 for the rudder and 5645 for other I can't afford anything over that right now but agree with you that servos is not a good place to go cheap.

Thanks for your help.

The plane I have doesn't have the engine box.Should I use the engine stand off in it's full lenght and made the box for just the lenght needed.It's that the right way to do it.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

You have to measure the distance from your firewall and cowl opening and add 1/8 to 1/4". That DL is going to power the heck out of that plane! You're also going to want to re-enforce the firewall and cut a clearance hole in it for your carb. I believe that plane does have an engine box though. See if you can find a build thread on the plane. Then you can avoid any problems other guys had. Here's the link.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4946730

Well thick fog here this morning so I guess I'll do a little tweaking and tuning on my planes. Only problem living this close to the water, foggy!!![][][]
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM
pilot727

Stickbender, i have been using HS-645's for three years and not had a problem, most pilots at the two fields i fly at are either rich or fly IMAC, i also i use the Hyde Mount i dont have the vibration that takes servos out so quckly, i do not care for digitial servos and my plane has done every manuaver that the IMAC
pilot's do', i also know that you have a much better plane then i do and would want to go the extra mile, i have all HS-645 servo's except for the throttle and your right i am just a sport pilot but my friends are not there into the IMAC thing as you must be also to spend that kind of money, they fly the DA-100 and 150 size engines and call for each other, my plane is always there for them to use also and it just does all them manuaver's beautifully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.