Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Let's try again DL-50

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's try again DL-50

I have been flying this repaired DL- 50 and have 200+ flights on it. It is running great and today I got my first controlled back down tail touch. It wasn't a fluke as I did it 3 more times. Best engine I ever spent money on and just ordered another. Thanks Bob.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

An "expert" is someone that has crashed more than 10 times!
You left off one really important part, the largest piece cannot be more than 6 square inches

My dad said this to me once when I planted a 30% Cap232 about 3 yrs ago. I planted one really hard and was really beside myself. I tossed all the pieces into the back of the truck and sat down next to him in the drivers seat (he was wheelchair bound and did not get out of the truck once we goththere) and lit a smoke. He looked over at me and told me he was mad at me. I said I know I crashed your favorite plane, he said no and proceeded to tell me that the reason he was mad because all my life he always said that in whatever I do I should always do my best to do it right and since there were pieces larger than 6 sq inches I did not do it right and I should go back out and do it again and get it right.

I laughed so hard I endined up with tears coming down my cheeks. It's funny how a 80ish yr old man could make a 45 yr old man laugh like that and just so you know, once we got home I planted him and his wheelchair on the front port next to a table, placed all the pieces/parts on it and gave him a hammer, screwdriver and everything else he needed and told him to show me how to do it and went inside and in a couple of minutes I heard all this pounding and looked out to see he with the childesh grin on his face with the hammer finishing off the bigest piece of the wing and once again here I am laughing hard

Here is the thread I started on it two years ago, the pics (before and after) are at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3089027

Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Thanks for sharing that with us Bill. I know how much your Dad meant to you. Sounds like a man I'd of been proud to know. Sounds just like his son. Hey, looked at the thread, I have a couple of planes that look just like that! LMAO

Al
Old 10-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lou55

Just call me clueless! I am looking at a prop for an ultra-light to load the engine a bit more. I'm sure everyone means well but c'mon guys, get a grip! Hey Sewerdude!!! Great to see ya here buddy! How's everything going?? No more twisters I hope. As you can see my sense of humor hasn't changed between threads. Did you buy one of these great engines??
Hey Al,
Yeap, I've got a DL 50 in the box waiting for a plane. Looks like it will be for a "winter build " plane . As the flyin days here in the midwest are slowly disappearing. Plus, deer season started! I'm not sure what plane it will be put in. I put another DA in my AW Extra 260, nice flyer to! What did your SD Extra come out weight wise with the DL and what kind of rpms are you getting with the Vess 23? I'm leaning towards a SD Yak or maybe the Wildhare SU 26
Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

The wet weight of the Extra is 18 pounds. If tuned properly the DL-50 turns the Vess 23A at 7400 rpm. May be a little high so you may want to go with a 22 or 23B. Tom Fawcett has done a great job with his new SU-26. My friend at the club has the SD Models Yak which is also great. Does exactly what you want, when you want it. From the videos I've seen Tom's Sukhoi is awesome also. Either would be a great platform for this engine. Oh, and don't forget the WildHare Edge 540T V2. I have one of those with a 3MM 53cc in it and it is as stable as a rock. Whatever your final choice I'm sure you'll be glad you bought that DL. Take care and keep in touch.

Al
Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Sewerdude

ORIGINAL: Lou55

The wet weight of the Extra is 18 pounds. If tuned properly the DL-50 turns the Vess 23A at 7400 rpm. May be a little high so you may want to go with a 22 or 23B. Tom Fawcett has done a great job with his new SU-26. My friend at the club has the SD Models Yak which is also great. Does exactly what you want, when you want it. From the videos I've seen Tom's Sukhoi is awesome also. Either would be a great platform for this engine. Oh, and don't forget the WildHare Edge 540T V2. I have one of those with a 3MM 53cc in it and it is as stable as a rock. Whatever your final choice I'm sure you'll be glad you bought that DL. Take care and keep in touch.

Al
Dang those are some good numbers with a 23 pitch prop! I dont think a DA can come close to that! Not with a 23 anyway. Do you know what the SD Yak weights. I'm spoiled now after flyin my Cap with the DA at only 14lbs 6 oz Thanks to bubba I want a light plane for the DL, under 18 lbs anyway.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Bill, Sounds like we have a lot in common. Sorry to hear of your father's passing. My dad got me started on model airplanes as soon as I got off baby formula. He took me fishing but I kept swimming back to the boat! FF, C/L, R/C. Silk and dope. "ARF" was what the neighbor's dog did all night. I just took my new DL-50 out and showed it to him. We have come a long way together in our lives and our hobby. SG
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Bill- you are a good guy to take him with you out to the field
Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Any of the planes I mentioned will weigh in about the same. WIth the DL well tuned and running the right prop they will fly just like your CAP. I have unlimited vertical at just over half throttle. If you stay in the 30% range of planes you won't be disappointed in this engines performance. Just pick teh platform you want and don't sweat the weight buddy. This engine will make it look good.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 PM
tazlittleking

Anyone think of using one of these on a stick?

I want to completely get rid of my glow, but I love flying my ultra stick 60. Was thinking of getting a 120 and putting a DL50 on it.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

For those of you that don't know BubbaGates (Bill James) he is a key element in this sport. Bill grew up in PA building dragsters with his Dad and racing at one of my old hangouts York Drag-a-way. Bill later flew with the Flying Circus out of Florida where he flew aerobatics in the Super Stearman and Cap 232 (the full scale version). He received his training in the CAP from Mike Goullain. Recently Bill was grounded due to minor health issues which gave him more time to devote to this sport where he is an outstanding pilot and competitor and a judge but, most importantly, an outstanding mentor to the young people in this sport. Sadly, Bill lost his Dad earlier this year but has come back to support and mentor an outstanding young pilot named Vinnie Musser (aka Whaturi). For those of you that haven't seen Vinnie's videos you should take a look at this link. This is not a gasser but a OS 160 glow engine. http://www.hiddenhangarrc.com/video/...vincentcap.wmv Bill, and those among you like him, guarantee the future of this sport. You are the foundation it is built upon and your mentoring of our young pilots will provide for even greater and more exciting maneuvers in the future. Inexpensive engines like the DL, 3MM, Brillelli, and BCMA will guarantee that they can afford to compete and that makes them VERY important to this sport. You may be in this for the thrills or the occassional weekend, or be a serious competitor but, whatever else you are, be someone like Bill James that looks around the field and says, Hey that kid's good, he might need a hand. Make a difference! Make a future champion! You'll be a better person for it and we will leave the sport that much better then we found it. I apoligize for the off-subject material.

Al Lewis

P.S. Bill will probably kill me for telling you guys this.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 PM
pilot727

I have a DA-50, i have not put mine on the tack yet and i have been great about not saying anything about my da as this is a dl-50 site, but why is it that Sewerdude just said that with the dl turnning up them numbers the da-50 could never match them, i have never put the DL down, i want to know why you compare everything to the DA engine and bah it when no one is saying anything bad about the dl engine, the guy that could not start his dl engine, i never said anything, another says my da is off to be adjusted but my dl runs great, why not pick on some other engine, you guys are a great bunch of guys and if anyone say da you say this is a dl site, why put any engine down, i like the dl engine and its price and performance, but i also love my engine also and it kind of hurts to hear some of you bashing it every chance you have, it is a great site but cant we be nice about other engines also. Rollie
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

I would be mildly surprised to see the DA match those numbers based on what I have witnessed but, I would not think it out of the question. I think the DA has been the staple in this sport for many years but I fear those days may be coming to an end in the 50cc class anyway. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. BTW I believe Sewerdude may also have two new DA-50s in his CAP and Extra that he is making a comparison on. I don't think it was his intent to hammer the DA after he just bought two of them.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:48 PM
pilot727

Hi Lou
Your a great guy and i never hear you bashing any engine, i hope the dl has good numbers and does well in the IMAC i may even buy one myself, but i will not down anyother engine, it just is not right to compare it to anyones other engine. If this is a dl site, talk about dl you guys but dont compare them to the da, pick on a different engine for a while now ok
Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

I wasn't. I was only qualifying a statement by another member. I have never owned a DA or 3W or ZDZ or BME and only have my observations of those at my field who are dumping their old engines in favor of the DL. My comments are based on the interaction between myself and those long-time customers. I know which engines I will buy and quite honestly don't care what anyone else buys. I'm just here to report data and gather information for use on my engine. I support all lower cost engines because, in my opinion, they support the sport!!
Old 10-15-2007, 04:19 AM
RichAur
My Feedback: (1)

Never owned a DA, don't think I will while a DL out performs it and is half the price. I'm sure we are only comparing the DL to the DA as it is probably the only stock 50cc that comes close to the performance of a DL. This point should be celebrated by DA owners not be seen as bashing or flaming the DA.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Sewerdude

ORIGINAL: pilot727

I have a DA-50, i have not put mine on the tack yet and i have been great about not saying anything about my da as this is a dl-50 site, but why is it that Sewerdude just said that with the dl turnning up them numbers the da-50 could never match them, i have never put the DL down, i want to know why you compare everything to the DA engine and bah it when no one is saying anything bad about the dl engine, the guy that could not start his dl engine, i never said anything, another says my da is off to be adjusted but my dl runs great, why not pick on some other engine, you guys are a great bunch of guys and if anyone say da you say this is a dl site, why put any engine down, i like the dl engine and its price and performance, but i also love my engine also and it kind of hurts to hear some of you bashing it every chance you have, it is a great site but cant we be nice about other engines also. Rollie
I was only comparing the Da to the DL because the DL is a Da Clone, isnt it???? I like both my DA's that I have . If I didnt then I would sell them in a heartbeat and buy 2 more DL's. I was just surprised at the rpms that Lou and others were getting with the DL with a 23 pitch prop. so I wasnt "picking" on anything, so relax. Hope you have a nice day!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I agree, and well-said, RichAur. I **have** owned nearly every other 50cc class engine out there, EXCEPT the DA. Reason I never owned one of those? $$$, period. For years, the DA has "set the Gold Standard", a feat which usually is accomplished by those "with the Gold", and it is true in this case.

Not one of the other 50cc engines I have run performs on a par with the DL's that I have had. Not One.

The fact that DA's are darn close is a compliment to THEIR performance, which is well above many others. Just see my 50cc weights page on my website to view all of the 50's class that I've owned, with a couple of exceptions.

Another fact that we sometimes forget is "Value".... $$$ invested v.s. quality v.s. performance v.s. reliability v.s. service. Anyone reading this thread for any length of time should have an easy time making the "Value" decision for themselves. Nobody here is a pimp or pusher (or DL-sponsored, as far as I know - if anyone IS, they are in violation of RCU rules because no ones' signature has that info posted)

Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 AM
bubbagates

Al,

I'm not gonna kill you for saying all of that but thanks loads to everyone. The ironic thing is I never got along with my Dad for a long time, both of us being the hardheaded type when we were younger, but once I started flying that all changed.

Anyway I was just trying to be funny with the comments earlier and I appreciate you guys getting back on track with the thread.

Hey Bob,

Nobody here is a pimp
Speak for yourself Only in my dreams

I gotta admit, I own one as well and it has been one rock solid engine. I hope they do a twin some day I'm in need of a 100 and a 150 for next year for my bigger toys
Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

I love companies that pay in meager rice, lock there employees in for weeks at a time,,, and flood the market with copies of quality stuff....

Really, I do

-----------------

Oh, like the New York City garment industry of not long ago? <G>

Like it or not, we are competing with the Chinese. Of course, my idea of competing with the Chinese is to see if I can sell more of their goods to others than the Chinese can produce. I don't even consider competing against them when it comes to manufacturing. After the Chinese there will be the folks in India, then the folks in Bangladesh and then the folks in Middle East, after the oil runs out. Of course, there is Africa and South America, most of whose people will be up here in North America. Me, I'll probably be back in Germany or Ireland by then, if I'm not feeding the worms.

Life is too short to worry about thwarting the inevitable. In case no one has noticed, Vaudeville is still dead.

Now to get back to mounting my DL-50 in my GP Ultimate Biplane. Later.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
bubbagates

OK, I asked and I see that certain people did not listen to the suggestion about political discussions so the thread is now locked. If another thread is opened on this engine it will be monitored closely