Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Let's try again DL-50

Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's try again DL-50

Bob,

you should go on about how you sanded them to get them square with no bow to really flatten them out. After you and I talked about it, and what to look for....no gap between the back of the mount and the firewall, I am reconsidering using them.

Mine DO need a little dressing up to get perfect flat. no biggie. I will give them a try when I tansfer the motor to it's next plane.

I agree the accident was a rare case, not indicative of what would/should happen in a properly mounted motor.

I flew mine twice tonite...I have noticed it needs a tweak on the needles now that it has loosened up a bit. Next time out, a re-tune and RPM Check on 50:1 AMSoil and a NX 23 x 8.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM
bobkra
My Feedback: (13)

Good point Mike. I had planned on posting a tech bulletin on the website about it but have been so busy flying, I mean testing, that I haven’t gotten to it.

The stand offs that come with the DL50 have a slight heat warp on the side that mounts against the firewall. Because of this, it will not fit flush to the firewall until the mounting bolts are tightened. While tightening the mounting bolts will straighten the warping, it will also put some stress into the standoffs and might also affect the line up of the stand off to the engine. An easy fix to the situation is to lay a sheet of 100 grit sand paper on a flat surface, and sand the firewall mount side of the standoffs until you have flat surfaces under the bolt holes. The sanded portion of the standoffs will be nicely parallel to the engine mount tabs so no stress should exist in the modified mount when it’s mounted.

When you finish the sanding, make sure that you end up with equal distances from each of the four firewall mount points to the corresponding engine mount points.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40163.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	655767  
Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: bobkra
The stand offs that come with the DL50 have a slight heat warp on the side that mounts against the firewall.
Are you sure that's the side that is supposed to mount against the firewall?

I took a good look at the mount and the froces involved and believe it's much better to use it so that the four "legs" bolt onto the firewall and the flat strip goes against the motor.

This provides vastly increased protection against the lugs breaking (since there's now a beam between them) and also means that you're more likely to get a firewall fracture than a lug-break in the event of a prop-strike or other impact.

That's the way I've installed mine, I'll include pictures later.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Mitsu1

Xjet, your way seems more logical to me ..[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

This is my 2 cents:
This are powerfull engines, I really don't know the alliation of this alluminum mounts, but for shure is not aircraft quality (2024 or 7075 t6, most like it a 6061 that is comercially use and can be welded. 6061 is not structural and will brake without warning, in less you do a dye penetrant or eddy current inspection time to time. My sujestion is to use inexpesive nylon stand off, Lowe's sale them, and washer, I got my extra 300 and a friend of my use the same setup in a 30% Yak 54, and works great. I had a big accident last year 54 stiches in my left hand, because of a failiure and the engine came foward, I was lucky and no finger fly away. ( I can send pictures) this is a dangerous hobby, the better you secure this engines, less chanses for hospital visits.
You guys are right, the mount will break before the main mounts in the engine get damage in a crash with the stock mount, but if this break in a power up, and you are in front of the prop will be a disaster. my 2 cents. Happy flying.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:31 AM
jetstuff

Hi Bob,
I fitted the mount to the engine the same way, then greased the mount and tightened down in a bed of 30 minute epoxy, (but not overtight)mainly because I needed to pack up one side with ply for some extra sidethrust.
(PS did you get my PM?)

John
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 AM
jetstuff

ORIGINAL: maxun

You guys are right, the mount will break before the main mounts in the engine get damage in a crash with the stock mount, but if this break in a power up, and you are in front of the prop will be a disaster. my 2 cents. Happy flying.
It makes me cringe if I see someone running up an engine whilst standing in front of (or in line with) the prop disc..... completely against BMFA (UK) rules
Old 04-03-2007, 02:56 AM
bobkra

I would definitely suggest that anyone who is not comfortable with the design or materials in the stock mount should not use them. It seems there are several ideas about substitutions that people can choose from.

I would also have to agree with John; standing in front of a spinnig prop even at idle is something I won't do. I still wouldn't even if the mounts were made of case hardened titanium wrapped in carbon fiber. I'm just not that brave. I can see though where this would make one want something more substantial.

John,

I did receive your PM and will respond tomorrow. I've been busy with the website and haven't been able to get to much else.

Bob
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

People will disagree with me.... But I have used the nylon spacers sold at Lowes/Home Depot/ACE Hardware many, many times when mounting engines. I have used them on 100cc engines.... if the distance from the firewall to the engine is greater then 3 inches, I use SWB standoffs....

I key to a solid mount with the nylon spacers, is getting the right size, and getting a GOOD quality bolt... I use the spacers with a 10-32 hole in them. I put a fender washer on both sides of the firewall... and use a GOOD quality nylon insert nut on the back side...

I have hundred's of hours flying with engines mounted this way, and they have never hinted of coming loose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31344.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	655980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18720.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	655981  
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

frieshoo are you a A&P aircraft mechanic? that's exelent mount and super safe, I am with you if is over 3" use SBW, you can go wrong, the wheel o ready was invented. LOL, and I was not in front of the prop when the accident happen I was a feet 1/2 away, that's how the devil works, this was my first and may not be the last time, I can not predit the future in this hobby, we all have those moments[:'(]. But I respect the opinion of using the stock mounts if desired. Nice set up frieshoo very secure in let see 1dollar for nylon bushing, 4 dollars for hardware, that's is cheap, compare wiht the $3,468.00 doctors bills I got LOL.[:@][sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
red_noir

frieshoo are you a A&P aircraft mechanic? that's exelent mount and super safe, I am with you if is over 3" use SBW, you can go wrong, the wheel o ready was invented. LOL, and I was not in front of the prop when the accident happen I was a feet 1/2 away, that's how the devil works, this was my first and may not be the last time, I can not predit the future in this hobby, we all have those moments[:'(]. But I respect the opinion of using the stock mounts if desired. Nice set up frieshoo very secure in let see 1dollar for nylon bushing, 4 dollars for hardware, that's is cheap, compare wiht the $3,468.00 doctors bills I got LOL.[:@][sm=punching.gif]

$3,468.00 doctors bills WOW ! I'm glad I'm in Canada ! lol
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to pick up one of these engines---I bought a Chip Hyde Vision that was set up for a DA-50. It shoud be a bolt in swap...I plan on using the Chip Hyde header and canister muffler that came with the plane. I'll report what the rpm's are with this combo when I get it all together....Looks to be a winner!!!

Kevin
Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Kevin Greene

Oh---And does anyone want to buy the DL-50 muffler from me when I get the engine since I won't need it???---Or Bob---Can I purchase the engine from you without the muffler???
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Kevin Greene

Guys---Guess what's up and running????---DL USA's website---Check it out at www.dlusa.net

Kevin
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Hope all works out well and you have no revisable affects[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those who have been flying the DL for some time, what's your experience on the midrange performance? Any of the burbling seen in the DA version? Any ignition issues?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

My ignition , which is one of those in the mose recent picture...plastic wrapped CH chinese made , has been A#1 on a Fromeco regulator at 5.0v. Perfect starts, never a hint of kickback.

Mine does not stumble...yes it does sound like a DA at a 1/4 thrott, but it is breaking in, and I have not leaned it out completely on the low end yet, transition is not a problem at all.

Here are my videos on RCU.

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=b637cc42bb997841e11a]Maiden after two tanks on ground.[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ee58f9d64e1e47aa4e58]Tach reading after 2 flights on second day.[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=b05e74e1ecb164430bfa]second day flights.[/link]
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Maxun,

Sorry to hear about the injury. I've had a couple close calls (DA 100, DA mounts... Brison 3.2 no standoffs)... The firewall gave out on one side (Both times The left side when standing behind the plane)... I was standing behind the plane on both times... and yep.. the engine surged forward a good foot before shutting off (it striped the throttle servo both times)...

I'm pretty nervous the first time I start any gas engine for the first time.... leary of the throttle setting... I stand up to start one and frankly run out of the way once it pops.... My nickname is 'shakey'... because of my actions starting an engine...

From my Saito days, the local hospital ER has my records ready to go at a moments notice. I hate starting Saitos... Love to run them, hate to start them.

Dennis
Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
bobkra

Greetings all…

I just wanted to announce the official launch of the DLUSA website www.dlusa.net . We plan to make it not only a place where you can buy DL50 engines and get after sale support on them (including parts), but also into a source of good information for everyone using the engine or contemplating doing so. Please feel free to make suggestions by email to [email protected] on how we might make it a better resource for you, and also to send us your pictures and video links so we can post them for all to see.

CARBURETOR SHIPPMENT TRACKING UPDATE

Tracking information on the carburetors says they are scheduled for delivery here on the 8th. Since that’s a Sunday, I expect that Saturday or Monday is more likely.

Bob
Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
red_noir

Hey guys ! I just ordered a composite-arf extra 330l 2x2 a model that 90% of owners use DA-50's in and you guessed it mines getting a DL-50 !!!

Cant wait !!!

Chuck

whats dial up????
Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Mitsu1

That's one HUGE picture!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:11 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Bobkra,
Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but what kind of warranty is being offered ?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
red_noir

ya sorry about the picture size !!!

hahaha

Oh I also recived a new cly from Peak today to replace the one I got with bad threads in the exhaust aswell as a new exhaust can free of charge !!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: red_noir

ya sorry about the picture size !!!

hahaha
Many are on dialup and it will help if you resize your pic smaller
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Mitsu1

NM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.