Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W trouble..; 75ius

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
dhammond
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W trouble..; 75ius

I'm having trouble with a 3W 75ius ... can't get a reliable run on the ground.
I’m using a 25/12 MSC prop and 40:1 Belray MC-1.
I had a problem with the reed cage deteriorating ,that was replaced last year, although it wouldn't consistently start or run since I bought it used 2 1/2 years ago. I'm thinking it is an intermittent Ignition. I have changed batteries, switch’s, and checked the harness for obvious signs
There are times when its starts in 10 flips and times it won't pop at all, I walk away and comeback in 20 minutes and it starts runs 30 seconds to a minute and then stutter’s and quits, at various throttle settings.
Is there a test I can do to prove that its a Ignition Problem, without borrowing another ignition unit ... few other's around here are flying 3W, or is it a dealer only test item and I should send it to Aircraft International?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3W trouble..; 75ius

DH,

I can't help you on the ignition questions but there's a couple of points I'd like to run by you. Regarding the oil. The Belray H1R is to be used for ratios from 30 to 50-1. The MC-1 is used in ratios from 50 to 100-1. At least I think that was what they said. I doubt the 40-1 mix is going ot be any big deal but want to give you that for future reference.

That 25-12 MSC is going to load the living daylights out of that engine. You have almost the whole tree on the front of that engine!! With a 12 pitch I don't think they even bother to strip off the limbs!! I would think a 10 pitch is as much as you'd want to go unless you're going racing.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
JermianB
My Feedback: (3)

SILVERSURFER,

I too am having a problem with my 3w75. It idles fine but at full throtle it gargles ie runs rich. I tried different needle settings and same result. I sent it back to cactus aviation last year and was finally able to run it yesterday and I have the same problem. Is there anything you recommend?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM
dhammond
My Feedback: (2)

I want to thank rcbugman ... he offered to send me another ignition modual to try , and he sold me that engine over 2 years ago !
It amazes me the Quality of people that are in this great hobby!
Thanks Silversurfer for your observations as well !