Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

CH Ignition Trouble on Byron Purr Powr System with 4.2 CU

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CH Ignition Trouble on Byron Purr Powr System with 4.2 CU

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
rschaffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CH Ignition Trouble on Byron Purr Powr System with 4.2 CU

Good morning,

Please forgive me if I missed a topic on this that was published before, but there is so much information out there on RCU it is easy to miss some.

I was out flying my Byron Corsair yesterday when suddenly the engine sagged then quit. Luckily, it quit in just the right place (set up perfectly for a base and final to dead-stick it in). After walking the plane back from the field, I noticed the engine was hot. Some at the field though it may have gotten too hot and quit for that reason, but it didn't have the "I'm getting hot and gonna quit" sag to it, just full power then nothing.

At the field, we checked the battery pack, 5.5 volts. Checked power coming into the syncro spark ignition module and there was power there. No spark at all when flipping the prop through. [:@] Can heat affect the Hall sensor and cause a failure? [] I have not yet had a chance to work through the troubleshooting outline in the CH instructions and will do that as soon as time allows. This is my first gas motor, and as such, I am not as familiar with the types of problems that can be encountered.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ
Old 04-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: CH Ignition Trouble on Byron Purr Powr System with 4.2 CU

Heat can sometimes affect the Hall sensor...Take the plug out, hold it against the cylinder, turn on the ignition, rotate the prop...If there is no spark, the sensor is bad...turn the ignition on and off a few times with the plug against the cylinder, there should be spark each time the swithch is on and off...If it sparks this way the ignition is good...New sensors are easy to replace, call Bill at C&H.....
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
rschaffer

Default RE: CH Ignition Trouble on Byron Purr Powr System with 4.2 CU

Well, I found time last night to run through C&H's troubleshooting guide. Their guide worked like a champ...isolated the problem to the hall effect sensor and not the ignition. Removed the existing one, replaced it with the spare and she sparked like a champ. Time to order some more hall effect sensors, just in case. Thanks to the folks at C&H for making a gr8 product and actually backing it up with useful troubleshooting information.