Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Sources for Penzoil Air Cooled 2 cycle oil?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Sources for Penzoil Air Cooled 2 cycle oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sources for Penzoil Air Cooled 2 cycle oil?

I believe I read here some time ago that most two stroke petroleum base oils available in auto stores and places like Walmart are made by Penzoil and repackaged? All I can say is I have used Black and Decker, Penzoil, Castrol, Napa brand, WalMart brand and WeedEater brand oil in my engines and can't tell the difference, they are even all the same color!. Biggest improvement I have seen was to go to using all 32x1 mixture in my engines per a recommendation by RCIGN. All ran noticeably better at that mix setting and the downside of very slightly more oil on the plane was no problem.

Larry
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, can't agree.

I picked up 200RPM switching from Poulan to Pennzoil air cooled.
And, the oil looks completely different.

Nice clean, nearly clear blue. Much lower visible viscosity from other cheap weedeater oil.

The difference all around has been night and day. I have not seen any weedeater oil that I have ever purchased look like my Pennzoil Aircooled and I have used everything at my local Lowes at least once.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Larry is correct, the Walbro carbs seem to work better with a more viscous fuel as provided by the 32:1 oil ratio. Anybody who complains about greasy planes should go try diesels! This will shift ANY paradigm, replace any frame of reference, and make one utterly forget a few black spots on the plane.
"You mean to tell me this tiny 2.5cc engine can put out THAT much stinky black goo on my plane?"

Gasoline-powered planes are still very clean. Thirty seconds with Simple Green and a paper towell will erase all signs of any increase in oil, and the cleaner engine will thank you!

Larry, you may be correct about the initial manufacturer/packager of engine oil, but it is still wise to buy API-"TC", JASO "FC", or ISO-L EGD rated oil (on the label).
Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

Hmm, can't agree.

I picked up 200RPM switching from Poulan to Pennzoil air cooled.
And, the oil looks completely different.

Nice clean, nearly clear blue. Much lower visible viscosity from other cheap weedeater oil.

The difference all around has been night and day. I have not seen any weedeater oil that I have ever purchased look like my Pennzoil Aircooled and I have used everything at my local Lowes at least once.

It is entirely possible those other oils are MANUFACTURED by PZL, but they are certainly different from the Air-Cooled mix. PZL makes MANY different blends of oil, and the relabeled stuff is probably the cheapest blend.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:49 PM
3d-aholic

Don't know who manufacturers them. However, the inference is the Pennzoil air cooled is the same thing as all the other black/dark green 2 stroke oil in the lawn mower section and is the same color and that is about as far away as the moon from my experience.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Yep. I wasn't gonna wade into this one after my February meltdown about Pennzoil labeling (some may recall)....But... fact is, the other brand-label-outdoor-lawn-and-garden oils are NOT the Pennzoil Air-Cooled. NO way, no how. BTDT.

And doesn't matter who it's made by, either, in my book.

When you find an oil (engine, airplane, car, woman) that makes you happy...... WHY change???????
Get the right stuff from the get go, simplify your life.... and reduce the discard oil (which now goes in my blower, weedeater, and chainsaws, and those things do not care what is in them)

My airplane engines probably don't care, either, but *I* do.... so I choose what I like for my own mental comfort, in part.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

looks like Kool Aid once it mixed and I love kool aid
Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Here in Texas, NO auto store caries it including Advance. I've checked them all.
I found it in Texas here in Mongomery at Advanced Auto here outside Houston !!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: roboto65

Here in Texas, NO auto store caries it including Advance. I've checked them all.
I found it in Texas here in Mongomery at Advanced Auto here outside Houston !!!!
Ok well thats good to know...
maybe I just need to check every single one exhaustively. I know they carry AMSOil and you can't get that at too many places either.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 AM
eugene

I agree with JAKETAB. I looked in the local Advance Auto Store and they had a shelf full of Pennzoil Air Cooled oil..
Easy mix, one bottle per gallon.... Also have an inventory of NGK plugs..
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just got my DA-50 back from having warranty service. It was overheating, in part, due to an air leak around the carb block gasket. I had been using Pennzoil at 40/1. For what it’s worth, the DA Rep cautioned me against mixing Pennzoil contrary to what the DA manual said - at the risk of voiding the warranty. He said to use Pennzoil mixed at 32/1. Also said they had been having good success with Redline Racing mixed at 40/1.

Early on, after the initial break in of the engine, I tried Amsoil at 80/1. I noticed less power and the engine ran hotter. Not by any means a scientific notation but casual observation on my part. The DA Rep also cautioned against using Amsoil at 80/1 and said 100/1 was the proper mix?????

The question for those in the know – do you believe Pennzoil mixed at 32/1 instead of 40/1 is OK for hard 3D flying? My DA 85 will be arriving today and I want to treat it kindly.

Jaketab
Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
3d-aholic

Thats ridiculous.
I've read a number of articles suggesting the normal Pennzoil mix is actually 50:1 for Ultralights. Those motors are about the closest representative to the work we require on our engines.

However, you should do whatever DA tells you to do. Your not going to get as good of performance mixing at 32:1 so I would use the AMSOil at 100:1. If it burns up, send it back to them and ask for a new one for your trouble. I know someone that blew a head and piston and got a new one...so I'd shoot for that if I were you.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: Jaketab

Just got my DA-50 back from having warranty service. It was overheating, in part, due to an air leak around the carb block gasket. I had been using Pennzoil at 40/1. For what it’s worth, the DA Rep cautioned me against mixing Pennzoil contrary to what the DA manual said - at the risk of voiding the warranty. He said to use Pennzoil mixed at 32/1. Also said they had been having good success with Redline Racing mixed at 40/1.

Early on, after the initial break in of the engine, I tried Amsoil at 80/1. I noticed less power and the engine ran hotter. Not by any means a scientific notation but casual observation on my part. The DA Rep also cautioned against using Amsoil at 80/1 and said 100/1 was the proper mix?????

The question for those in the know – do you believe Pennzoil mixed at 32/1 instead of 40/1 is OK for hard 3D flying? My DA 85 will be arriving today and I want to treat it kindly.

Jaketab
In ANY situation, whether one agrees, or not, one must follow the "Gold Standard" - "he who has the Gold, sets the Standard". In this case, DA states what will or won't be acceptable for their warranty..... well, case closed. Do what the warranty guy says.

Or..... do what works, makes sense, has been done a zillion times before. Treat it like it's an engine.
Oil. Good ratio. Good quality.
Gas. Good gas, no alcohol. Fresh
Needles. NOT "too lean"
Prop - Not "too big"
Cooling - more is better, minimal is not.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
3d-aholic

I agreed.
Do what DA tells you -- and of all those recommendations AMS @ 100:1 is going to give you the best performance for your dollar. Just get the name of the guy you told you that and preferably in writing like an email just in case.

However, they provide unlimited warranty and service so I don't see how it could be a problem. No doubt that AMS100:1 is going to give you the absolute best performance you can get.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

having great love running penziol i plan to break in and use in on my DA-85 like its kewl. at 32/1 it still looks like that there is not much oil in the gas so its all good to me if i do 32/1 in all stuff
Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, now I can save money. Buying the 8 oz bottles is cheaper than buying 2 – 3.2 oz bottles. Divide the 8 oz bottles equally by pouring 4 oz each into 2 used smaller bottles. If I keep on flying my math may soon rival that of a NASA Engineer.

By the way, went home for lunch and my new DA 85 has arrived. It will begin its journey on Pennzoil. But first its mother, the AW 75cc Extra 260, must also arrive and bond with it.

(Never learned math until I started playing with airplanes – and spreadsheets)

Jaketab
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
mrbigg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

u r so right it looks so kewl mixed up in the gas a nice kool-aid color and u know I love me some k-aid.....

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penaircool2c.html

I buy mine using the above link by the case.....
I seen the case is 39.99 for 24 bottles. How much was the shipping krazy?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

It is my DA50 experience as well that mixing Pennzoil at 40:1 will cause lean runs. 32:1 is a good and safe mix.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Penzoil...check out Advanced Auto.....good price. Capt,n
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 AM
eugene

It is carried by O'Reilly's Auto parts stores.......For about half the price they wanted at an Advance Auto store just across the street
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

It is my DA50 experience as well that mixing Pennzoil at 40:1 will cause lean runs. 32:1 is a good and safe mix.
I have no problem at 40 to 1 in my planes, lawn mower, weed eater, and leaf blower. Plugs look really good. I'd rather just get a case and be done with it, as long as the shipping isn't too bad. But then again, it costs me a gallon of gas to get to the nearest store and that's over 3 bucks plus the time and hassle.