Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Revmaster Ignition on Brison 3.2

Old 08-05-2007, 02:22 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revmaster Ignition on Brison 3.2

I've got a Brison 3.2 that I got in June for my GP Ultimate. Motor runs great, that is until yesterday... I'm up about 75 feet after just taking off and turning downwind, when the engine just quits! so I do my deadstick with no problems, rip the spinner, prop, and cowl off of it, looking for problems... Nothing! I drag it home, and start trouble shooting. good ign battery, got power through the switch to the ignition, pull the plug... hmmm no spark. Check everything I could think of.. grounding, etc. but still no spark. So looks like the ignition is fubar.

Anyway, I plan on calling Brison first thing on Monday to see about a new module under warranty. What I'm wondering is that after a bit of research, these Revmaster ignitions seem to be not so reliable, and i'd like to pick up a CH Synchrospark for it. Is that a plug in replacement? It's got a Deans connector from the sensor, so i'm thinking it probably is.

Anyone have any experience with replaceing the revmaster with the CH?

thanks!
mcmike
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Revmaster Ignition on Brison 3.2

Perfect fit., if you have a deans on the sensor. If you have a Molex connector then you need to solider on a deans to your sensor.
The CH/ RCEXL is $80, with sincro spark and sheilded cap
Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

what tkg said. It could also be the "sensor" on the ring. Try cleaining it. Mine used to bild up bugs and other garbage between it and the magnet on the crank and then wold start to miss terribly and sometime would not give a spark
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM
dmcmike

ORIGINAL: tkg

Perfect fit., if you have a deans on the sensor. If you have a Molex connector then you need to solider on a deans to your sensor.
The CH/ RCEXL is $80, with sincro spark and sheilded cap
Yeah, I found that one on the CH site... Bill is more or less endorsing it, so I'm guessing it's probably just about up there with the standard CH unit. That's a serious possibility considering the price.

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

what tkg said. It could also be the "sensor" on the ring. Try cleaining it. Mine used to bild up bugs and other garbage between it and the magnet on the crank and then wold start to miss terribly and sometime would not give a spark
I checked that, and couldn't see anything between the mag and the sensor.

Is there someway to check to see if the sensor is functioning properly?

thanks!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

I believe the checkout procedure is on CH's web site or at least it used to be
Old 08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I have had a couple of sensors go out in the past. Usually, if it is the sensor, (with a C&H ignition) when you turn on the switch, with the plug grounded, you will get a spark, but not when the engine is turned over.
I have not used the newer ignition, now used by Brison.
I have also had sensors go bad, causing a serious kick-back when flipping the engine at idle.[:@]
Old 08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

I've used the new RC-XL ignitions they work just fine. They are a straight bolt on swap for the CH, and likely the same for the Revmaster. You may have to change a plug on the end of the sensor but that's not a big deal. They use a plastic case that has mounting lugs on each end. Don't use the lugs since the plastic is prone to breaking, leaving the ignition box hanging by the wires. Mount them just like a CH, using zip ties.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
dmcmike

Looks like the new RC-XL ignitions are getting the nod here. The price sure is nice, and if CH is standing behind them, I guess I'll just have to order one. Of course, i'll also fuss with Brison, or revolution-rc, as they're the ones selling the brisons now, and get a replacement for the revmaster just to keep for a spare. FYI, the Revmaster has tabs on it too for mounting it with screws. And although it is a metal case, I was worried about breaking the tabs off of it too, or worried about transferring vibration through the tabs, so it was mounted with zip-ties and padded with foam beneath it. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
GreaTOne_65

I too, bought a Brison 3.2, and was suprised to see the Revmaster ignition box, but figured, I'm an easy goin' guy, they probably know if it's good, wrong! The thing lasted all of 15 min.! It ran great on the first flight, quit half way through the 2nd, survived the ensuing dead stick, (brand new 540 Edge, by the way), then all it would do was pop, and then started back-firing, cracked my knucles three times in a row, so took it back to the shop, installed a CH on it and haven't looked back since. At least 50 flights without a whimper. I'm a true believer of the CH Synrospark ingnition. In my opinion, if they added 25 bucks to the price of the engine,it was to much.

Dale