Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ engines???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 07:27 PM
Balsageek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ engines???

Well, I just sold my Giant Scale Stinger with my G-62. I have another stinger almost ready to go, however I think I'm going to change engines... I've been looking around at Taurus, ZDZ, FPE, etc and I noticed that the ZDZ 60 looks like it has alot more power than the 62 and much lighter. In fact from the posted specs it beats all the other brands in similar sizes. Now I'm looking for someone who's actually had experience with these engines. Were they any good, and are they as powerful is it looks like on the site. Also, any other suggestions on a good engine for the Giant stinger.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-27-2002, 09:47 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZDZ engines???

Im not going to get into comparisons with other current "designed for purpose" engines as there is already a massive amount of info along those lines available with a search.Besides there will always be someone who for whatever reason will insist his choice is the best,particularly Taurus.
I will tell you I too sold my G62 and bought a ZDZ 60cc,and I have about an hour on it on the test stand.Its going in to a 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmeister Bipe of 88" wingspan.
The engine is as good as everything you have heard and none of the specs are suspect.Its light,beautifully finished, and starts easily.Throttle reaction is instant and idle is smooth and totally reliable.Mounting takes a little thought due to the rear mount carb,but that s the price you pay for rotary induction and a clean profile for narrow cowls.Service from the factory and RCS is outstanding,and as of now anyway,t I beleive its the price leader.I have not heard much talk one way or the other regarding longevity,probably because no one has enough time on one yet.I also like the detail engineering that has gone into the design,such as the sensor holder,and "Bosche" type plug cap locked in place with a threaded allen bolt.....
Im totally satisfied,would buy another,and am saving my pennies for an 80cc twin.....
My $C.04 worth.....
Old 02-27-2002, 10:12 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default Just want to make a note

If you are serious about the ZDZ 60, get the ZDZ80. Here's why.

The 60 & 80 are the same engine only one is bored more than the other. Weight is very close to the same. Doing this will also allow you to move it to a bigger plane in a round about way saving you money in the future.

I have a bipe that this is the route that I am going to go. I will simply use a 3 blade prop to maintain the ground clearance that I will need. Even if you have to go with a bit smaller prop, this engine will just spool up faster giving you great response while trying to hover/torque roll. You may want to set the throttle so it does not open up all the way so as not to over rev.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZDZ 80

I like that. It costs more because it saves more. I'm going to use that on my wife .
Old 02-28-2002, 01:49 AM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

Default ZDZ engines???

I have a Dave patrick ultimate bipe with the ZDZ 40 on it ,and it weighs a little over 13 pounds with a 20 x 10 rcs prop. I have a Carden 30 % extra with the ZDZ 80 weight 19 pounds 14 ounces it is probably the first over powered plane I have had, as I mean over powered as in engine torque pulling the plane and causing roll effect even on straigh level flight when excellerating I am running a Menz 24 x 10 standard. I am going to put a Mejlik 24 x 10 3 blade on it and see how the torque effects it I have the same problem with the bipe and the torque ,so you might consider weight and size going with the 60 or 80 in a plane I never thought I would say I had seen an overpowered plane but torque and prop size have an affect on the way a plane flys.

Just some thoughts on the subject

Steve
Old 02-28-2002, 08:20 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Default ZDZ engines???

If you need a 60 buy a 60, not an 80. The ZDZ 80 is a true beast outurning a BME 100 with the exact same prop. It produces over 55 lb of static thrust and I have actually pulled out someone's shoulder while they held my plane. Overpowering something too much puts the airframe at risk. The ZDZ 80 is a great engine (providing you avoid one with the duff Vlach brand of ignition) but use one for its intended purpose (Mine is on a 23 lb Lanier Laser 200 - 1/3 scale and its too much). ALSO the ZDZ 80 with the standard J&A muffler from RCS is EXCEPTIONALLY noisy producing over 100 dBa at 25 feet (IMAC test) on grass. OUCH!
Old 02-28-2002, 09:24 PM
kevin mcgrath

Default ZDZ engines???

I agree with the remarks on overpowering and thats why I got a 60 and not an 80.I have flown a grossly overpowered large bipe and didnt find it pleasant.Its not that its unflyable just that having engine torque affect the flight all the time is a drag...Lots of people couldnt care less about hovering and the dreaded unlimited vertical and Im one of them! ;
Im using a Bisson wrap around pitts muffler on mine and find the exhaust note actually pleasant.I suspect a lot of gasser "noise" has much to do with the prop used and the rpms we insist on turning these engines........but thats just my $C .o4 worth
Old 02-28-2002, 09:44 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Default ZDZ engines???

The noise from the ZDZ 80 is not unpleasant. It is a deep note, but it is loud and I could not participate in IMAC competition with it being that loud.

What I am doing is buying the new RCS "in fuselage" muffler with header ($155) and re-engineering a second Laser 200 to accomodate it (It's huge). Then I plan on re-engining my current Laser with a 3W or perhaps a Taurus.

(I wish the Taurus were not $250 more than the equivalent ZDZ!!!That's a lot extra!)
Old 03-01-2002, 04:07 AM
Balsageek

Default ZDZ engines???

kevin.. actually my whole plan for the engine was gross overpowering. All I did with my G-62 stinger was hover the crud out of it!!! And for me, unlimited vert is a must!!! On this stinger I think I'm going to save about 1.5 lbs by cutting the wing up and stuff. I just hope that the zdz 60 will be [b]enough[b] of an overpower job.

Thanks guys,
Matt
Old 03-01-2002, 01:52 PM
kevin mcgrath

Default ZDZ engines???

Well I guess thats one of the nice things about our hobby sport,inasmuchas it can be whatever you want it to be,whether thats a scale high wing floating just above stall on a summer evening,or a firebreathing monster scaring the bejabbers out of everyone on the flight line.
I test my engines very carefully and precisely using the Black & Decker method,and the ZDZ holds the distance record for moving my Workmate portable table the greatest distance across my back lawn,and Im sure it will give you what you are looking for......You could always get an 80 if it doesnt.Im waiting for the first guy who manages to fit a small block Chevy into a model,and I,d pay at least a quarter to watch that test flight!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default ZDZ

Hi Balsageek,
Just got back to reading messages, been busy with Honey Dew's, you were asking for info around the (60) ZDZ line of engines, before you put your money down, you ready need to checkout when can you get one of these engines in your hands.
I ordered (2) ZDZ 60 engines two weeks before Thanksgiving and I still don't have any engines, ZDZ has more problems than one can believe with its pipeline, RCS seems to be on the level but the real problem is across the waters with the 60+ engines.
I just hope someone might have two 60's at the Perry Swap Meet tommorow so I can get my DH Hornet back on track.
Charlie Evans
Airmasters Model Airplane Club
Leesburg,Ga.
www.geocities.com/clubamac222
ps We have about 10 - ZDZ engines in our club from 40's to 80's
that should tells you why I'm still in a holding pattern for the 60's.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default ZDZ engines???

I hear ZDZ's are sweet engines, becuase of there fuel economy and the $$$ for performance.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hey

Kick'in Chicken
Moving to your area soon. Flying field was a manditory. I passed by back in November and met alot of great people. My son and I are looking foward to joining your group. Pete
Old 03-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default ZDZ engines???

Great Pete,
We have added 3 shelters with power, like downtown, since you seen our field, checkout web site: www.geocities.com/clubamac222
Charlie Evans
AMAC 222
Old 03-02-2002, 04:46 AM
daren
My Feedback: (4)

Default ZDZ engines???

kick'in chick I found out yesterday my zdz60 will be here from rcshowcase next week. cant wait my laneir cap 232 has been waiting a long time for some power to get her off the ground.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:01 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZDZ engines

Are the ZDZ 40cc size easy to get or is there a long waiting time for delivery. Thanks C. John
Old 03-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Rock 114

Default ZDZ engines???

You guys might try the canadian supplyer of these engines
I orderd a zdz60 in the end of january and had it in my hands
in a week. Try [email protected]
Old 03-03-2002, 04:13 AM
captinjohn

Default ZDZ 40cc Where to get one fast

Rock 114: Can you give names of some places in Canada, like you was/were talking about. The address thingy did not work. Thanks John.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Rock 114

Default ZDZ engines???

Hi captinjohn that was just his email address but you could also
try www.petemodel.com
Old 03-03-2002, 03:33 PM
kevin mcgrath

Default ZDZ engines???

I think you will find that there is only one Canadian source of ZDZ engines,and that it is a dealer for RCS for Quebec only,probably due to the needs of french language customers.
RCS have the rights for all of North America otherwise(USA,Canada,Mexico)
Due to the current anemic condition of the C$ vs the greenback,it is somewhat cheaper for us to import ZDZ products from countries like Germany and France,and thanks to the WWW this is a feasible option.However it brings its own frustrations and risks,such as putting oneself at the mercy of Canada customs,or a $45 freight bill for one engine.I did bring one 60cc in from Germany due to availability problems but I do prefer to deal with RCS even at a premium.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:51 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default ZDZ engines???

Hi Everyone,
Balsageek need to order now, Mac Hodges got my two ZDZ 60's today. ( Nov. 12 2001 to Mar. 06 2002)

Charlie Evans :sunsmiley
Old 03-07-2002, 12:28 AM
captinjohn

Default CANDIAN DEALER

Rock 114: I have tried the email address you gave but to no avail. Can you help, me out on that. I get a message that my email cannot be delivered. Thanks John
Old 03-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Default ZDZ engines???

Hi Charlie,

Wow, you FINALLY got those ZDZ 60s! Please let us know how they work out... It helps make the wait a little easier. :drowning:

Regards,
Scott
Old 03-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Rock 114

Default ZDZ engines???

Captinjohn have you tried the the email link on the web site I just
tried it and it worked for me
Terry.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:19 AM
captinjohn

Default ZDZ engines???

Rock 114: Give me your email and I will forward the message I get when I try. Thanks John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.