Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

BME Extreme 115...Good....Bad...Need Opinions

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME Extreme 115...Good....Bad...Need Opinions

Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME Extreme 115...Good....Bad...Need Opinions

I'm considering a BME Extreme 115 for my Corsair because it will fit in the cowl. I'm new to gas engines and am unfamiliar with BME as a company as well. Any and all replies will be considered help and very much appreciated. Help me if you can.

David
Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: BME Extreme 115...Good....Bad...Need Opinions

all of my gassers have treated me well to include the BME line up
Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 AM
torqmeister

I would not hesitate to buy a BME 115. In fact, I am going to buy one myself for a new 35% Yak at the end of the year.

I already have a BME 110, and it is a very solid & strong performer.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been around the 115 and its a great motor for the 35% class. Lots of power with a 27 X 10 prop.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

David, I have the BME 115 but have not yet flow with it. I have started it and its easy to start with great top end. You said you want to put this in a Corsair. Most heavy metal war birds need weight in the fron end, G62 is the motor of choice for war birds. I am building a Ziroli Stuka and it needs a heavy single up fron to make it balance. The BME 115 is so light that you will end up putting 3 pounds of lead in the front end of your Corsair. A heavy G62 on magneto and spring starter will give you the power to fly scale with your Corsair.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

David,

Tonyc has a point about most warbirds needing the extra nose weight and you've seen that on the TF GS Corsair build thread, but with our field elevation being about 4500' ASL we have to overpower stuff anyway. I also believe that a bigger engine offers you more options and the sight of a TF GS Mustang with the recommended engine using the whole paved runway at our club, to just struggle into the air during the summer was not inspiring.

I've got a ZDZ-80 that will be going in my Corsair (when I get around to it....) and I'll probably have to add some nose weight. If you want to go with a twin cylinder engine, and I do like the ZDZ-100 that's in my Edge, I'd look at the 3W stuff as well as the BME, the 106 I think? They're really reasonably priced right now, supposedly have the past ignition issues solved, and it's quite a bit heavier than the BME. It won't have the power that the BME does, but you're going overboard on that anyway. My personal opinion is that those who say you shouldn't overpower a Warbird just don't know how to use throttle management, just because it's available doesn't mean you have to use it all the time...

Just a thought....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Tomcat_104

Everyone,

Thank you for your opinions and the quick feedback.

TonyC and Zeeb,

Weight is one of my primary considerations. This is for a Century Jet Models 100" Corsair, they recommend a Quadra Q100M (single) or a Zenoah GT-80 (Twin). I am also building a TF GS Corsair which I have bought a G-62 for. I looked at many engines that were twins yet had the power of the Q100M and yet fit in the cowl. The DA & ZDZ were the same size (roughly) and thus ruled themselves out. The Extreme 115 was lighter but far more powerful (and smaller) and I thought it could carry the extra lead. Does this help you guys with your opinion? I have another G-62 that I could use but I just don't think that it will be enough power. As Zeeb pointed out I don't want to see my CJM Corsair use the whole runway to take off. I have heard pretty good things about the Extreme 115 but I have also heard that it tends to run hot at the upper end. Most guys (it seems) are using smaller carbs and that seems to solve the problem.

David
Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 62 will NEVER equal the 115 in power. It's a light engine but the Corsair has a pretty big cowl, meaning heavy. The lighter engine may only mean that you do a little extra planning with battery and servo locations. I would really like to see a 100" Corsair!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Tomcat_104

Pat,

I was thinking like you; I have to be very careful with the location of my servos and battery. I was thinking about using 2 batteries for safety so I guess the weight would be no problem. I'll start a build thread here on RCU and post plenty of pics if you want to see it. I'm going on vacation this week so I should start it next week, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

David
Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

So, for your first 100" warbird and first gasser you are going for a corsair, eh? They are beautiful planes, but can be tricky! You are a brave man!

When you say weight is one of your primary considerations, I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean that you are looking for a light engine?

Let me say that is a big, heavy warbird and you want a lot of power up front. So, the BME 115 fits that need just fine. I would strongly recommend against a G62 in that plane. It will be underpowered with a G62. The G62 is commonly used in the top flight giant corsair which is considerably smaller and lighter than yours. Also, the fact that they include a Quadra 100 and the Z GT-80 twin as recommended engines should tell you something--namely, that you'll need the weight up front. My ME109G (102") has a Quadra 75 and weighs about 33lbs. It moves along very nicely and is able to do long scale uplines. My Quadra 75 weighs 6.6 lbs with the muffler and ignition and I did not have to add any weight up front for it to balance. So, the Quadras are heavy engines, but they produce good power and are very reliable, so they work well in warbirds. A Quadra 100 has got to weigh even more than that. Compare the weight of the Quadra 100 to the BME 115 and I think you'll be adding a ton of lead up front.

Another issue is that you said you are new to gas engines. From all that I've read on the BME 115, it may not be the best first gas engine. They appear to be very good engines and provide plenty of power, but I think having some other gasoline engine experience would be helpful.

If you really want a twin, other options to consider are the DA 100 and 3W.

You might also want to check out the rcwarbirds.com and rcscalebuilder.com websites--you might be able to find more engine recommendations and experiences with this plane.

-Ed B.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Tomcat_104

Ed,

I have looked at a DA-100 and a 3W-106 but each barely and I mean barely fit into my cowl, I think there's about a 1/16th of a inch to spare. I had a stroke a few years back so I just build now, I can't fly since my right side doesn't want to play. So I have other people, very experienced people, fly my planes. I can't find the info right now but as I remember it there's 2 or 3 lbs difference between a Quadra and the BME. Sometimes being the lightest isn't the best, the BME is a full inch narrower than the DA or 3W (or ZDZ) so I thought it would be a lot easier to work with from a builders stand point. Several guys who have them say they are pretty good motors.

David
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

With that little clearance, it looks like the DA 100 and the 3W 106 are out. The BME 115 would certainly have enough power and if it only weighs a few pounds less than a Quadra 100, then a few extra pounds of lead in the nose shouldn't be a problem. The only other option that comes to mind is an inline twin, such as the ZDZ 100. I thought that 3W made a large inline twin as well, so perhaps that is worth exploring.

Sounds like quite a project!

-Ed B.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Tired Old Man

Sachs also made an inline twin. Check with Taurus Engines and see if Bill still has any around.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Only problem I can see with an inline twin is cooling?????

There are not many around and those I've seen guys talk about say trying to get the rear cylinder to remain at a reasonable temp is next to impossible.

David,

By all means if the BME fits better, go for it!

Availability may be an issue so you might want to check into to that question as well?

I think some of the other answers you've gotten about the G-62 are just confused by the fact that we mentioned the TF 1/5 model rather than what you're building????
Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Tomcat_104

Zeeb,

Cooling was my concern with a inline twin???? I've heard many guys at my field talk about cooling that rear cylinder too. This is for a Century Jet Models F-4U Corsair. I am also building a G-62/Solo Prop propelled 1/5 Top Flite Corsair. It's a slow build since I'm disabled now. It doesn't help that I'm building it with so many mods as well. I think I'll try the BME Extreme 115, I heard a lot of YEAHS and NAYS thanks to the guys on this forum but the YEAHS far out weigh the NAYS. It's a good idea about the supply thing, I never thought of that.

Thanks everyone!

David
Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Tired Old Man

There's no shortage or availability issues with the 115. There's a whole bunch of them being made, many not for models. Due to it's weight and output the 115 could be called Miss Popularity in certain circles.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5488430/tm.htm Read this and see how many run well. The last few pages are interesting. I would put one in a plane that is built for static display only. If your going to have it in the air I would go with the DA until I here from folks (lots, and lots) that have them that they run great. IMO
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM
marksextra
My Feedback: (28)

Skreamer,

That's such a good point. Especially if he's planning to fly at any altitude.

I mean, unless you don't care about piece of mind or your plane.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
RTK

Hmmm,,, mine seems to run well. Especially with the latest carb mod. It runs as well if not better than any of my other engines.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 PM
CH3CH2OH

Which carb mod are you using? How reliable is it, and how did you tune it?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 AM
RTK

Currently I am running a 3 needle carb which worked really nice, I have another modified 2 needle carb to try also. I was able to tune a non modified WB to run good, but the high end was a little lean. The WGA also could be tuned to run good, but it would lean out at WOT a tad too. I have not tried the modification Keith showed here on RCU to the WB. I have "heard" it works at low elevations. I am running stock diverters, on cans/pipes it does not seem to have these problems.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

I'm not sure that he is looking for an engine that you have to modify the carb to get to run not just good, but the way it is supposed to. I can't believe that anyone would try to gloss over the issues with this engine when the isssues are well documented in the other thread. I still don't see a large portion of 115 owners saying that this problem has been fixed and adressed by BME or themselves. You are probably one of three that say thiers runs good. All reports should state that this engine runs great and that you get what you paid for. Instead there is a whole thread saying that there are issues.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 PM
AndresAM

I'm not sure that he is looking for an engine that you have to modify the carb to get to run not just good, but the way it is supposed to. I can't believe that anyone would try to gloss over the issues with this engine when the isssues are well documented in the other thread. I still don't see a large portion of 115 owners saying that this problem has been fixed and adressed by BME or themselves. You are probably one of three that say thiers runs good. All reports should state that this engine runs great and that you get what you paid for. Instead there is a whole thread saying that there are issues.
So true!!! I hate the nerve of some people still trying to convince others in these forums that this engine is an option to consider at this moment when it is not!.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I clearly understand what David is going through. I have been on the search for the right motor for a Ziroli Hellcat. The BME 115 being a bit smaller than the 3W and DA equivalents really tends to make one head in that direction due to fit inside the cowling. My only other consideration has been a larger single ie Q100.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Tired Old Man

Some of the people that have been working with the carb and various mods are currently preoccupied with handling their businesses and having to save the "play" for when the work is done. For the moment they have a need to place the need of their professions before the need of the general modeling public. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

The 115 clearly has issues with the carbuerator, and until that's been resolved I wouldn't run one either. I have a Comp Yak that has this engine installed that has not been flown yet for this reason alone, so I fully understand where others would be equally reluctant. The engine is a power house when it runs right, but the problem is getting it to run right. Nothing wrong with the engine, just the carb. Let me make one thing clear, I do not and will not promote or support this engine unless and until the induction issues have been resolved.

I'm very interested in hearing the results from testing all the various fixes. When one is available that's proven to work 99% of the time becomes available then my Yak will fly and I'll be a lot happier than I am today. What irks me most is the amount of time that has gone in waiting for something that works. I'll have had my 115 for a year come December and a reliable fix has not yet been seen. That's also about how long I've had the Yak.......Ya never know, I just might be ordering up a Mintor 110 or a 3w-106 to see how they work out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.