Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Peakmodel 26 Rear Carb - BAD Purchase!!!

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Peakmodel 26 Rear Carb - BAD Purchase!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peakmodel 26 Rear Carb - BAD Purchase!!!

I have never posted a slam on RCU, but I also have never had this bad an experience from a vendor or manufacturer.
Needing a rear-intake about 30-cc engine to play with, I saw the PeakModel 26cc on Peakmodel's website. Placing the order was fine, they shipped rapidly, provided pictures of the shipping package, and it arrived very quickly.

After installation, making first runs with recommended oil mix, and appropriate propeller, it became apparent that there was either a serious carb issue or reed block design was sub-standard.

To make a long story short, the carb could not be adjusted using any combination of reasonable settings of both high and low needles, to EVER give full power. It never would get out of "four cycling" at the top end. Closer adjustment on the needle would just cause it to starve and die.

Decided to try a different carb, but before I did that, gave one last try.

Ignition cap failed, killed the crap-cheap (non RC-EXCELL) ignition deader n a hammer.

Emailed Peakmodel - twice - not even the courtesy of a reply.

I will probably end up doing whatever I need to to get this thing running properly, because it seems like it *could* be a great little engine. It also may never be anything more than a $260, shipped, piece-o-crap.

Be warned!!!!!!!! PEAK MODEL SUCKS........and so far, so does their 26cc rear-carb engine. BEWARE!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@]
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM
JUGFLIER

Default RE: Peakmodel 26 Rear Carb - BAD Purchase!!!

Ohh Gee Bob, this sounds like manufacture bashing to me. Now you know how i feel except you didn't spend $600.00 bucks.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Bob Pastorello

It's bashing if facts aren't presented, but I suppose that's open to interpretation by many, and I won't be surprised if this thread got deleted.

But maybe someone will gain some insight on another vendor to avoid.

I don't recall your situation, but your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM
JUGFLIER

Sorry Bob if i came across wrong, my wit was not necessarily aimed at you. Yes i started a thread on the Evolution 26gt and i got slammed by people in here, you were a bit critical of me.

BTW, i have read some other threads of people with problems with stuff from Peak Models. The sad thing is that this forum should be allowed to be used to prevent modelers from getting "took" by companies who offer inferior products and no service after the sale.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Bob Pastorello

I agree, and apologize if I was abrupt with you personally.

I think this forum CAN be used to share individual experiences, as long as the pertinent facts of the situation are shared, and I recall your thread now.

There have been other posts about this vendor, that's true. I guess lots of us want to give the benefit of the doubt to these guys, and we don't have assurances that things will be different....but we can hope.

What frustrates me is the lack of communication. If they answered and said "Screw you", that at least would be a response. But NOTHING is an entirely different type of rejection. Heck of a situation, but this is just one of those things, I suppose.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:48 PM
XJet
Banned

There have been a few complaints about Peak Models here -- but ultimately most seem to get resolved.

I've dealt with them a number of times, buying everything from props to 50cc engines and a JR9XII radio set but never had an issue that wasn't resolved.

If you get really stuck, PM me with your details and I'll see what I can do.

Note: I have no relationship with PM other than being a satisfied customer who has the cellphone number of the company's owner so I can annoy the snot out of him :-)
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Bob Pastorello

That's a pretty fair offer, and is much appreciated.
Will wait through the weekend... if no response, I may take you up on your offer.
Thanks!

It's good to read that someone is getting good service.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

I went through the same thing with no response three times. I sent an E-mail on the fourth try and said that no communication is bad and that I will dispute this charge with my credit card company. They responded within 24 hours. Try that and see. Your credit card Co. will help you out. Peak will take care of you or your credit card Co. will. Keep us posted.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aerobob- Hope you get this resolved quickly. Thanks for letting us know about the 26cc. If they come through, let us know that too. Maybe Xjet can get them to respond.

A comment in general and not about this thread, Aerobob, or Peak Motors. There is a big difference between presenting factual information about a problem and bashing. Bashing is something all together different. I'm only saying this because it was mentioned here.

edited for grammar
Old 10-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Bob Pastorello

Thanks, blw.
I have already submitted an Issue Resolution complaint through PayPal.
Will allow adequate time for response, and post what, if any, I receive.
If unsatisfactory, will then escalate to CC company that funded the PayPal transaction.

BTW - for any interested - I have ordered a DL 50 and will install it where the 26 was.... for a MODEST (really only about 5 oz difference, AUW) I can bolt on WAY too much engine, but have absolute reliability and consistency.
Of course, the airframe must hold together, and I will set a mechanical rpm limiter to mitigate that risk.

But it should be fun.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe that is a good move with Paypal. I think you have something like 60 days with a credit card company to refute the purchase. I know there is a limit.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Goldfinger41

I almost ordered that engine, I am glad I didnt.

I got me a 3W 28i

I have not run the engine yet.

Hope it it will be ok.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Bob Pastorello

Received this email about 10 minutes ago: (quoted verbatim as received)
:: Dear sir,
sorry, we had sent you 2 email for your questions, but you had not reply,
so that maybe caused by the different emails.
we had asked you to give us some pictures and asked to try agian for the carb, but no reply.
so we went to the post office to send a peak26 carb for u on 26th, we use simple post, it will take about 20 days to you hands. the carb had been test, very good.
if you can not get the email sent by our [email protected], please send email to this mail.
if you can not get this letter again.... we had no diea. maybe you should log a gmail.
gmail is the fitst mail we use.
sorry for the peak26, we didn't know it could not use.
best regards,
way::

This does not address the ignition failure, but it's a start.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Bob Pastorello

And another email exchange just now. I replied to theirs, and they answered me ( my reply in simple language below starting with "thank you" ) ... Looks like we are making progress.

: - Dear sir,
sorry, but now the cdi of peak26cc have been sold out.
and we are going to ask from the factory, it will take about 5 days.
or can you use other cdi to test the engine first?
can I get the photos about the carb and the cdi, this is a nesseary work for me to do.
and if it is really the problem of the carb and the cdi, we will ask you to send the bad parts to our goods department.
best regards,
way

thank you

I also sent to you email about ignition cap failing to spark. Boot and metal parts of cap not make contact with plug; this cause ignition to fail, and does not spark at all now.

Send ignition also - I will test motor with new carb and new ignition - if it does not work, I will expect refund when I return engine to you.

Bob ::
Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: aerobob

and I will set a mechanical rpm limiter to mitigate that risk.

We call that a throttle in NJ.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Bob Pastorello

Here is latest. Peak is sending new CDI, carb has been sent. I will send old parts back.
Can't do better than what they are offering now, really. This is a good resolution.

:: - Dear sir,
we will ask the cid for you from the factory.
and maybe the problem is caused by the spark plug?
or I can send you a new cdi and a new spark plug in 2 days! ( I can open a new peak26 and get the spark plug and cdi for you, that will not waste your time), but we also use simple post, hope you can understand about that.
but first of all, all the bad parts you should hold their outlook very good, we will want you to send them back
to our goods department in china. if you can do that, it's a very good falvor you do for me.
best regards,
way ::
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Al Lewis
Banned

Sounds like they're doing their best Bob but I only have to send any returns to Colorado. Postage to China may cost as much as the engine. Do you have to address it in Chinese?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Bob Pastorello

That remains to be seen. I know BCMA is local, but they didn't have a rear-intake, which was my need. Ya rolls yer dice, ya takes yer chances. I'm quite sure the postal system uses English, as the box it came in was.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 PM
skreamer

I would ask them to send a return shipping label if they want the old parts back. You should not have to pay shipping to any where if the parts are bad. Peak knows this as they said it would be a great favor you are doing for them. I'm glad that there is some resolution for you.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Bob Pastorello

Good points, thanks.

As to resolution - well, the "proof" is in the performance. First the stuff has to GET HERE, then it has to WORK.... based on what I've seen thus far, that's a 50-50 proposition.... but we'll see, and I'll keep ya'll posted.

xjet - if you intervened on my behalf, thank you. I'm not sure they had time to respond to my PayPal dispute claim looking at the timing of their emails, so it was either "luck", someone doing something, or....
Old 10-28-2007, 10:03 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: aerobob
xjet - if you intervened on my behalf, thank you. I'm not sure they had time to respond to my PayPal dispute claim looking at the timing of their emails, so it was either "luck", someone doing something, or....
It may just be coincidence but the last two times I offered to get involved, the issues customers were facing got fixed in double-quick time.

Maybe Raymond lives in fear of my calls :-)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Bob Pastorello

Update from Peak, received via email just now. I replied that I will remove the dispute from PayPal when parts are received, and engine is working like it is supposed to. Just want to keep it straight up on here.

<< Dear sir,
the new CDI has been sent to you today. and you can get it in 20days.
you everything will be ok for the engine.
but we found that you had refute the purchase on paypal,
so now could you get return the refute?
best regards,
way >>

So it will be winter when I get to test this.
Not exactly what I had in mind, but oh well.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
skreamer

So a little resolution for you. Man 20 days seems like a long time but I guess they are trying. I guess if they have to wait till parts arrive (to you) before you stop the refute on paypal that seems fair. Maybe in the future the communication from them will be faster so it doesn't have to get to this point. Keep us updated.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

I guess we're not gonna see much activity on the Goldberg Obsession thread for a while, eh, Bob?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Bob Pastorello

Actually, I have installed a DL 50, as of this morning. Removing the cowling, and spinner, and not having to use a separate ignition battery, the NET weight difference between the DL install and the OS 1.60 was only 3 oz. or so.
The DL 50 will permit pretty much unlimited performance, I'm sure.

I'll save the Peakmodel 26 for something else.

(will be updating the Obsession thread in a few days)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.