Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
meaden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

Lou55,

I haven't taken anything out really. Just the fuel tank, lines and the foam packed around it to get the tubing diameter and look at the condition of the kill switch. An I've pulled the carb off to inspect it. I'm not going to pull anything else till I have the parts to replace it. Plus, the old servos will give me a guide to the control throws.

I plan to document as much as possible. I'm sure I have photos of him and the plane someplace. I know I have video of him flying some of his other planes.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you determined what the airplane is? From the photos, I'd guess a Chuck Cunningham Lazy Ace bipe.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM
meaden

He told me it was his own design. But it dose look like variation on the Lazy Ace. The wings are clipped to 70" the airfoil is semi-symmetrical and the stab is flat and not air foiled. The arrangment of the cabane struts is different too. It's slab sided...not stick built...it's very sturdy. It's quite possible he started with the Lazy Ace plans and made modifications to make it more aerobatic. I know he was very familiar with RCM plans (we all were...are.) I remember he built a Desperado 3000 and got a big kick out of how strange everyone thought it looked.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...ArrY7wrCE3G1H3

I'll post some more general pictures of the airframe tomarrow when I can take it out in the yard and stand back a bit.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: meaden

He told me it was his own design. But it dose look like variation on the Lazy Ace. The wings are clipped to 70" the airfoil is semi-symmetrical and the stab is flat and not air foiled. The arrangment of the cabane struts is different too. It's slab sided...not stick built...it's very sturdy. It's quite possible he started with the Lazy Ace plans and made modifications to make it more aerobatic. I know he was very familiar with RCM plans (we all were...are.) I remember he built a Desperado 3000 and got a big kick out of how strange everyone thought it looked.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...ArrY7wrCE3G1H3

I'll post some more general pictures of the airframe tomarrow when I can take it out in the yard and stand back a bit.
Should be enjoyable to fly! Another large airplane from that time was the Bill Northrop Big John. Might be a little of that design in there too?! Many of us built planes taking a little from each design until we got what we wanted.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Truckracer

Sent you a PM
Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 PM
meaden

Ok got a little nutty with the camera...Here are a bunch of photos of the airframe. Digital's cheap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65602.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	810666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18800.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	810667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99555.jpg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	810668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65186.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	810669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96841.jpg
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	810670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja40368.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	810671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg75815.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	810672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd12994.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	810673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl90179.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	810674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bo69396.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	810675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag37649.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	810676  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Does that plane have N-struts??? Sure looks like your Grandfather put mounts on for them. If so, don't try and fly it without them.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 AM
meaden

Don't worry I have the struts! Glad you said something though...I put them away for safe keeping. In that safe spot we all have but can't remember where it is

Name:	Ca80365.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	811387  
Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 AM
meaden

Got the scale out this morning. 18.5 lb
Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

My Super Stearman was 16.5 and was a bear to land. They come in really fast but slow down really quick due to the additional drag. Keep the speed up on the landing and it should be fine but odds are you'll have to fly it onto the runway.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
meaden

Back to engine questions...

I got the carb rebuild kit. Anyone have a link to a step-by-step? I think there is only one gasket or part missing but I might as well replace it all while I have it apart. (can ya tell this is the first gasser I've worked on?) I'd also like a reference before I pull it apart so I can get it back togther.

Attached is a photo of the spring on the throttle that looks like it should be attached to something...?

Name:	Pn35487.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	812714  
Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
meaden

Ok, I found an exploaded view of the carb. I replaced the gaskets. The only thing I found missing was a filter. I didn't touch the lever looking parts...I think there's another filter under them?

Picts of the replaced gaskets and the replaced filter...

Name:	Db85732.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	812787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66446.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	812788  
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

First Grandpa took the spring off the lever so the servo would have to fight it when you open the gas. He left it on the shaft to maintain the spacing of the butterfly valve in the engine. That's a ll cool.

The bottom left Gasket is really little one way valves used to pump the fuel, it goes againist the body of the carb you have pictured on the left. You know it's on right when the two flaps are over holes in the carb body. It looks like if you rotate the carb body 110 degrees clockwise it'll line up. the gasket top left goes over the one below it.

The gasket bottom right goes on the other side of the carb, metal side toward the carb body.

Not sure about the top right.

I saw a site the tells you how to rebuild the carb, and it's theroy, I tire and find it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
meaden

ORIGINAL: soarrich

First Grandpa took the spring off the lever so the servo would have to fight it when you open the gas. He left it on the shaft to maintain the spacing of the butterfly valve in the engine. That's a ll cool.

The bottom left Gasket is really little one way valves used to pump the fuel, it goes againist the body of the carb you have pictured on the left. You know it's on right when the two flaps are over holes in the carb body. It looks like if you rotate the carb body 110 degrees clockwise it'll line up. the gasket top left goes over the one below it.

The gasket bottom right goes on the other side of the carb, metal side toward the carb body.

Not sure about the top right.

I saw a site the tells you how to rebuild the carb, and it's theroy, I tire and find it.
Thanks, that answers the spring question. I'll just bend it back or nip the end off so it dosen't bind when I get back to setting up the throttle.

The picture I posted of the gaskets are the ones that I took out. I know that they are critical to making the fuel flow right. I just don't know which does what. I replaced them with the new ones as I took them out. Making sure they were in the right orentation. I'm 98% sure it's good. Like I said that little filter part was the only thing I could see missing.

Not like a glow carb...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
soarrich

Before you put the motor back together, put a fuel line on the carb with some gas in it, open the side that has the hexagon needle and blow through the tube making sure the gas goes past the needle if you lift it a tiny bit. Screw the two needls for the high and low jets in while counting to the 1/8 turn then back them all the way out and blow gas through them, then put the needles back to the same place. The needle closest the engine in the L lowspeed or idle, the one furthest from the engine is the H highspeed.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 PM
meaden

Or I could just look on the carb for the "L" and the "H" thanks for your help everyone. I'll figure it out.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
meaden

http://www.****/forums/fg68/427-gas-...g-newbies.html

That's what I got via PM
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM
soarrich

Their fliters are tough to get through!
What action are the Wright's famous for?
If you where really big, you would be a ?
FG is a clue.

I can't believe they even filter the PMs, I thought I was being good by PMing you the link rather than posting it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 PM
meaden

huh?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with LOU55. What your doing is something I'd seen often. Used to be a gunsmith. People would bring in a fine shotgun or rifle and want to reblue or put a recoil on it. That took away the not only the value but also the history of the piece. Don't do it.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 AM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

the previous note I wrote is probably to late to stop this sin. But all the rest of you guys, when you find some other reliC or antique don't make this mistake. Don't want to make anyone angry but DON'T DO IT!!!!~
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
meaden

Sin? really now...beyond the sentimental value of the connection with my grandpa it's a typical large scale sport plane built in the late 80's early 90's. I have planes that I've built that are pushing 20 years old. If I had no interest in it I could easily sell it at the next swap meet or to a restaurant that would hang it up and let it collect dust. Then the history really would be gone.

Trust me, I understand the value of antiques. I've spent the past few years repairing 18th and 19th century furniture. I also understand the sprit of the time my grandpa spent involved in RC...I lived it with him. Under glass is not where he would want his planes to be. He often asked me if I had flown them after I got back into the hobby and I told him that I was working up to them.

The point of my original post was to get help restoring it to flying condition safely and get information on gas engines (which I'm not familiar with in detail.) Not to get opinions on weather it should be done. Because, in the end, it's my plane. Grandpa gave it to me.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: meaden

Sin? really now...beyond the sentimental value of the connection with my grandpa it's a typical large scale sport plane built in the late 80's early 90's. I have planes that I've built that are pushing 20 years old. If I had no interest in it I could easily sell it at the next swap meet or to a restaurant that would hang it up and let it collect dust. Then the history really would be gone.

Trust me, I understand the value of antiques. I've spent the past few years repairing 18th and 19th century furniture. I also understand the sprit of the time my grandpa spent involved in RC...I lived it with him. Under glass is not where he would want his planes to be. He often asked me if I had flown them after I got back into the hobby and I told him that I was working up to them.

The point of my original post was to get help restoring it to flying condition safely and get information on gas engines (which I'm not familiar with in detail.) Not to get opinions on weather it should be done. Because, in the end, it's my plane. Grandpa gave it to me.
I have several old airplanes, some dating back to the early 70s. Most built by me and these spend most of their time hanging from the ceiling or on the wall. But every few years I get them out and like your bipe, I fly them! I even gave one to a good friend and he flew it until it was worn out ... yup, it got used up! These planes include a mid 70s F-1 pylon racer, a late 70s QM racer, Andrews Sportmaster, Spickler Q500 and several others including pattern airplanes. Some of these have rare old engines. I re-do the tanks, use newer radio equipment and enjoy seeing them flying once again. I fly them over a couple of weekends then return them to their display status.

So Meaden, I say go for it and enjoy that old bipe!! Some old planes can be museum pieces, some should be flown.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
soarrich

If it don't fly, it's just a pile of wood! Fly it.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I second the motion. I had an old but well preserved C/L Cosmic Wind side profile with a Torpedp 29R green head from the mid 60's that hung on my workshop wall for decades. A couple years ago I met up with an old friend that still occasionally flew C/L and gave him the model.

You can't imagine the joy it gave me to see that old work horse turning laps, not to mention the unforgettable smell of Castrol R burning. It turned 40 last year and is still alive and kicking. Most all planes were made to be flown, if not by you then by someone else.

Karol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.