Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution 26GT2...Good bye you JUNK.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 26GT2...Good bye you JUNK.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 26GT2...Good bye you JUNK.

NOTE:
I have been asked by the "Higher Powers" of this forum to change the title from "***" for profanity reasons....so now its JUNK. I understand that Evolution (Horizon) adverizes on this forum but this would not change my impression about Evolution engines. On the same hand, I have the most respect for Horizon Co. for having an austanding Customer Support and selling good stuff.
Here is still the original post unedited:
Nothing but problems. Bought a new carb (original) and still no good. At the end the, shaft was rubbing against the back plate.
WAY! too much money spent for it and time waisted (with others) to get it going. Took it back to LHS for a full refund-store credit.
Now I have the muffler and spinner left to Ebay it.
All together I had Evolution .40, .45, .46, .61 and all were***. Sold them for nothing or gave them away. Also the Evolution wood prop 18X6 shattered when I droped it on the floor (carpet)...
No more Evolution for me, nothing!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Evolution 26GT2...Good bye POS.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 AM
540horses

its was my flying partners money, but we had similar results from an evolution 26. total overpriced crap.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

good deal with passing the scoop
Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Pity it took all of five engines to make you realise that you were on the wrong track

Karol
Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
joshrchobbies

I don't Know why you guys have all these problems ?? But Every thing I hear on here is one person ragging a a engine or a product and another saying its good !!! I think half the time its your set up ?? Or people just are not reading about the engine fully !! So please before you post a engine is a *** get your facts strait !! I have one of these and it runs great !!!! This is a great engine and if you set it up right it is sweet on a pipe !! Makes lots of power with the pipe set up!! I do agree there nitro engines are junk but there gas engines are rely good !!When I first got mine I set the tank up as a nitro system and had a line plugged because it has no vent and I was running a two line system !! It would run for a little bit then quit . I unplugged the line that I had plugged and used it for a vent and it has 5 full tanks through it with no problems !!

So please don't knock a product because you have bad problems with it , This dose not mean its a bad product it just means you got a dud !!which happens some times !!

Thanks,Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: josh*********

I don't Know why you guys have all these problems ?? But Every thing I hear on here is one person ragging a a engine or a product and another saying its good !!! I think half the time its your set up ?? Or people just are not reading about the engine fully !! So please before you post a engine is a *** get your facts strait !! I have one of these and it runs great !!!! This is a great engine and if you set it up right it is sweet on a pipe !! Makes lots of power with the pipe set up!! I do agree there nitro engines are junk but there gas engines are rely good !!When I first got mine I set the tank up as a nitro system and had a line plugged because it has no vent and I was running a two line system !! It would run for a little bit then quit . I unplugged the line that I had plugged and used it for a vent and it has 5 full tanks through it with no problems !!

So please don't knock a product because you have bad problems with it , This dose not mean its a bad product it just means you got a dud !!which happens some times !!

Thanks,Josh
Except that these forums exist to share EXACTLY the kind of information you describe. If something looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I ain't gonna call it a cardinal, you know what I mean?

A person's experience with a product defines THEIR reality. If my xyz engine is a ***, then I will be inclined to believe xyz engines are generally, a ***. Particularly if I have to spend MY money to discover how bad something is....

So....I think we need to be "okay" with somebody bashing something based on their experiences with it. What I have a LOT of trouble about though, are the folks who pass on second-hand info, rumors, or innuendo based on "hearing".

Sounds like you're doing well with yours, consequently, it is not a ***.

The other guy didn't have it so lucky, for whatever reason, and has stated his opinion.

His opinion may not match the majority of users, but it doesn't make it wrong.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
540horses

what you need to look at is the consistancy that people have trouble with any given product. i want you to find a string of posts where different people are saying wow -my zenoahs a real piece of crap. you wont find it. its the frequency in which different people have similar problems with the same product. evolutions are junk!!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
540horses

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: josh*********

Thanks,Josh
Except that these forums exist to share EXACTLY the kind of information you describe. If something looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I ain't gonna call it a cardinal, you know what I mean?

A person's experience with a product defines THEIR reality. If my xyz engine is a ***, then I will be inclined to believe xyz engines are generally, a ***. Particularly if I have to spend MY money to discover how bad something is....

So....I think we need to be "okay" with somebody bashing something based on their experiences with it. What I have a LOT of trouble about though, are the folks who pass on second-hand info, rumors, or innuendo based on "hearing".

Sounds like you're doing well with yours, consequently, it is not a ***.

The other guy didn't have it so lucky, for whatever reason, and has stated his opinion.

His opinion may not match the majority of users, but it doesn't make it wrong.
bob very nicely put together statement.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: 540horses

what you need to look at is the consistancy that people have trouble with any given product. i want you to find a string of posts where different people are saying wow -my zenoahs a real piece of crap. you wont find it. its the frequency in which different people have similar problems with the same product. evolutions are junk!!!!!
The consistency of reports across users I do believe *does* tell us about user-friendliness, robustness of design, etc.
I agree completely.... If there are several threads, with literally dozens of users chiming in with negative experiences about something..... well, if I know some of them to be reliable and objective folks, then they have just saved me the grief.

CHeck my sig....
Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comments about repeated failures, speak more about the user than the product.
Failures from multiple users does raise a flag tho not allways necessarily the correct one . Sometimes it is is a result of improper understanding in general
Sorta like testing flashbulbs --

Although I am not wild about any glo engines - I found the Evolutions operated very well The 26 -except for one series of ignitions also excellent engines .
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 PM
540horses

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Comments about repeated failures, speak more about the user than the product.
Failures from multiple users does raise a flag tho not allways necessarily the correct one . Sometimes it is is a result of improper understanding in general
Sorta like testing flashbulbs --

Although I am not wild about any glo engines - I found the Evolutions operated very well The 26 -except for one series of ignitions also excellent engines .
what you are forgetting is the usability by the average guy is all part of the quality of the product.
if someone switches engine brands and is an experienced operator,they should be able to apply the rules of operation to the engine and have success.
if they have problems due to the design or quality of the engine, it the engines fault not the user.
we got the engine to run the best it would ,but found all its attributs to a quality engine to not be present.
a good motor covers the highest amount of good checkpoints accross the board. evolutions rate 3 out of 10 at best.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 PM
rmh

Whatever criteria you selected-it was obviously not the same as mine.
I had one 26, that still afer a year of running at 9000-10000 rpm on a pipe is as tight as new - There are a number of em here - all run extremely well -I sold my last one as I replaced it with a ZDZ40 F3A-but it is still a one flipper .
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Kaoma

I have been flying planes consistenly for the last 5 years. Before that I did model cars for about 2 years. I have used and tuned 95% of all OS engines (glow) with no problems. Evolution glow was impossible to work with. At our field some guys buy the H9 Plug And Play planes that come with Evolution engines (Mustang, Piper Cub, some trainers). The majority of the guys that did not replace the Evolution engines from the start, ended up with the plane in the ground from engine failure.

The reason I have bought the Evolution 26GT was that I have seen 2 of them at the field and were running very well.
After I have bought mine, I put in the plane and tried to tune it...no good. Then I have biult a test stand and tried to tune that way with no success. I have asked many of the guys at the field to tune it for me (they fly gas only IMAC) and could not. After calling Horizon for help, I ended buying another carb (original) with the same results....
On the last try, the prop would spin very hard by hand and discovered the shaft was rubbing against the back plate.

I also have a Zenoah and a DA50 that have no problems at all.
So, based on my own experience do I have the right to cal a product "***" if it does not do the job?
I would like to know where are the Evolution engines made (not by MVVS). At least I know (have seen) the DA being made in Tucson-AZ and the OS are made in Japan.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM
rmh

Your problems are simply problems I have not seen - does not mean that they were not real problems
Why Horizon could not fix em -also unknown to me

I have had very good experiences with the 26 basic engine -one ignition was as a problem
However to simply label all Evolutions as a *** is not fair or accurate.
I don't care for the Zenoahs nor am I crazy about the DA50 -
I certainly would not brand either as a *** tho.
Some folks really like em.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I would like to know where are the Evolution engines made (not by MVVS)."

The glows are made in China, The 26 IS made by MVVS.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I for one have had nothing but good luck with all my Evolution engines including a 26GT; in fact I also have a 45 and just bought another 26.....sorry you had problems....now about those MDS engines...
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM
rmh

The MDS I worked with were badly fitted -the angle on the collet (hub) was wrong - the piston fits were wrong - carb machining was poor.
Maybe these were were slip ups I don't know but I explained to the rep what was wrong with the hub fit and obviously they did not understand what I was telling them.
( it was impossible to make the hub "lock" to the crank (as does the ST engine) and constant slipping of the hub was impossible to stop.)
Poor QC on the examples I saw.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM
reincarnate

I'm wit the love 'em club. Own two 26GT's and two glows on a twin. All run like tops.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
mr.d

I have 3 evolution 1runs like a top
Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM
skiman762

Danny
What battery pack where you using ?
Did you use an electric starter?
What made you think the carb was bad ?

Just curious, I know unlike other electronic ignitions that don't do well over 6 volts the evolution need 6.4 as the minmum most people run 6 cell 7.2 or a 7.4 lipo, a 5 cell pack will make them run bad
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Kaoma

For those of you that have good running Evolution 26GT...I hate you
It was not my intention of spending $525 only to have a reason of starting this thread.
-bought the engine+muffler brand new from the LHS (special order)
-used LiPo 2 cells for the ignition (a few packs just to make sure I am covered)
-put engine in the plane and had hard time tune it. Got the guys (from the field that have them) involved and could not tune it. Max RPM was about 6000 and idle was erratic.
-put the engine on the stand and kept going at it...no good.
-called Horizon for help and they sugested the pressure fittings (from the engine to the carb) may be bad or the tube connecting them. Ended up buying 2 fittings and 1 tube from Horizon
-installed the new tube and fittings with same results as before.
-took the carb apart and replaced the membranes and gaskets (yes I know how they are installed)
-called Horizon again and they sugested the carb may be bad...again, bought carb from Horizon.
-new carb, same problem. Got the guys involved again with no success.
-called Horizon again, no new parts to buy this time.
-bought new gas (87 oct) and new Evolution oil bottle (maybe the oil went bad...)
-spent Monday and Tuesday all day working on the tuning part...same story
-last time, the prop would be hard to spin by hand. Let the engine cooldown and same thing.
-found the shaft (flywheel) rubbing on the back plate
-called Horizon for help. Took the engine to the LHS for refund.

So, here is the story. I had enough with this junk. Also, the prop was a wood Evolution Gas 18X6 ($30.00) that I dropped on the carpet the one of the tips shattered for 1 1/2". And here is why the title is good buy junk!. The Evolution oil bottles, in the garbage as well. No more "Evolution" brand for me. ENOUGH!.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
skiman762

Default RE: Evolution 26GT2...Good bye you JUNK.

Fair enough, I'm just suprised they wouldn't help you under warrenty and made you buy parts they suggest might be bad, or didn't ask you to send the engine in to be fixed having all those problems in one engine
I always thought they were better in customer service then that .
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have sent the engine back to horizon before purchasing ANYTHING! Have them tune it.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danny,

Thanks for changing the thread title. I've seen one Evo 26GT run, and it ran very good. It has been flying a H9 Hellcat for about a year now.

I also own the Evo .45 and .46NT engines. They are well made and put out a lot of power. I've been around the .52 and it is another great engine. Another thing about the Evolution 2 strokes, the crankcases and one piece crankshafts cost about 40% of the 'more well known' brand. The parts are made just as well, if not better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.