Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 26 and 35cc carb linkage

Old 05-18-2008, 08:55 AM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 26 and 35cc carb linkage

I recently bought an Evolution 35GT that looks like a sweetheart of an engine that will work perfectly for a Platt Spitfire that will hit the bench one day. Everything I see on the engine says "quality" and I'm excited about trying this bad boy out. The one thing that throws me, though, is the carb linkage.

Rather than having a single lever-type arm to move the throttle like every other engine I've ever had, the Evo has a cresent-shaped lever with multiple large diameter holes that are spaced just a short distance from the rotating throttle shaft's centerline. Obviously, this won't work for a simple clevis or ball link set up and I'm puzzled as to how to hook this up.

For those of you using this engine, what methods have you used to link the throttle to the servo? Thanks in advance.

Al
Old 05-18-2008, 04:16 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 26 and 35cc carb linkage

Fit a small extension plate to the multi-hole plate, and screw a ball link on that extension plate. The linkage is extremely straightforward. Throttle resolution is much better with the extension. You could of course fit that ball link directly to the multihole plate, like MVVS did in their first engines, but too many folks complained about that, so they stopped doing it.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 PM
rrudytoo

pe reivers,

The idea of an extention plate is what I was thinking, too. I mentioned an adaptor to Evolution's Customer Support and they replied by asking, "what conventional method of throttle linkage are you referring to?" with "conventional" referring to the single lever-type arm. Surely, they must have been asked this before! Sigh.

Al
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
pe reivers

Whatever you do, you can never make it right for all of us. The extension is easy to make, and you can fit whatever link you have available.
My solution is different. I take off the plate completely and fit a servo-type horn. For how-to, see http://www.prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM
rrudytoo

There you go...............that's it exactly! Thank you!!!!!!

Al
Old 05-19-2008, 06:22 PM
pe reivers

you are welcome.